Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

Candidate Aradir [DEL]

DariRyu
Newcomer

Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:10 am
  • Link

Candidate Aradir [DEL]

ARADIR

BASICS

NAME: Aradir
PRONOUNS: He/Him/His
ORIENTATION: Unsure as of yet

BIRTHDATE: Fall, 2756

APPEARANCE
EYES: Blue
HAIR: Blond
HEIGHT AND BUILD: 6'/Muscular
PLAY-BY: N/A
FULL APPEARANCE: About 6', muscular but not bulky. Dark blond hair, pulled back from his face in a simple ponytail. His eyes are blue, and a bit sunken-looking in his face.

PERSONALITY
PERSONALITY: Aradir isn't a talkative sort, with good reason -- he has enough of a stutter to be noticeable, and he was bullied about it growing up. He's rather reticent, not just because of the fear of being mocked for his stutter, but because he doesn't like wasting someone's time as they try to work around his stutter.

He's a solitary sort, yes, but not to the level of actively avoiding folk. Aradir will answer questions when asked, and will totally hang with you guys, yo. Might even get up to some mischief with you if you wanted to bring him along -- he's no tattletale! But every group has that one weirdly quiet guy in it. That's Aradir.

However, neither is Aradir overly accommodating. He might have been bullied, but he's not desperate to fit in, having come to the realization rather young that one can't MAKE people like one. Despite this, he still tends toward reticence, and is rarely if ever the one that begins a conversation, comes up with the ideas, or makes the first move.

Aradir has a fondness for metalwork, preferring most of all the delicate, intricate work that jewelry requires. The little bit of messing about he's done -- winding stuff around particularly pretty bits of rock for rings and pendants -- has given him good manual dexterity.

The only thing that remains of his Harper roots is that he can whistle really good.

HISTORY
FAMILY: Father, Aranald; Mother, Dirae
BIRTHPLACE: Harper Hall
HISTORY: Aradir's parents had great plans for their little boy when they welcomed him into the world. He was to carry on the family trade and become a Harper. Except as he grew up, he had no interest in the trade at all. Not only that, but he developed a stutter in his childhood. He could hardly communicate and teach if he could barely speak!

His father in particular was upset by this, and tried everything he knew of to break that stutter, but nothing worked. In fact, most of it just made Aradir more nervous and made him retreat more. The stutter grew worse, and his peers noticed, and did as children do -- they bullied him. It was never anything severe, but it was enough to make him not really want to associate with most of them.

Shortly after turning sixteen, Aradir and his father had a final nasty argument, in which the younger stormed off without a word. The next day he silently filed for a transfer to Fort Weyr, on the basis that these arguments were like to continue -- Aradir had little talent for Harper arts and everyone knew it, but his father wasn't likely to stop on his path, since he figured it had to be hereditary.

His transfer was granted on those grounds, and much like the filing, Aradir left without telling his parents he was leaving. They knew, of course, but he didn't want to talk to them, and his father was too proud to try to smooth things out. So off he went to Fort Weyr, apprehensive about what the future would bring.
Last edited by DariRyu on Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
DariRyu
Newcomer

Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:55 am
  • Link

IC Information
What type of candidate is your character: Dragon

What color/s does your character want?: He has no preferences at all, because the idea that he'd be a rider is just far beyond what he'd ever think about.
Does your character have any personality preferences or concerns?: He doesn't really understand the way dragons and their riders are bonded, so he's a bit worried that it's going to be weird, or that he's not going to be able to adjust to it.
Does your character have any other preferences or concerns?: Aradir's also worried that he doesn't have what it takes to be a rider. He realizes that the Thread is a major threat, and he isn't sure he would be able to effectively fight it.

OOC Information
If your character is a dual candidate IC, do you have a strong preference on whether they Impress dragon or wher?: Aradir's not a dual candidate, I don't know enough about whers to try for one.

What color(s) are you willing for your character to impress to?: Any male
Do you want your character to be eligible for gold?: No
Do you have any personality preferences or concerns?: One that could help Aradir build up some confidence would be great. Though I'm not looking for "serval cat on meth in the house" degrees of trouble/mischief. I don't want him to spend all the time he's not fighting Thread fighting his own dragon to get him to behave.
Do you have any other preferences or concerns?:
Why do you think these choice/s would be a good fit?: This was how he started coming out of his shell when I played him on Pernworld; if it hadn't been for a handful of other players there, he might have developed into a great character.

Do you have any preferences about the conditions of your character’s impression?: (IE: avoid impressing first, impress near the end of candidate career, go at least one hatching without impressing, get injured before impressing... Please note that this does not guarantee fulfillment!)
  • I don't have any preferences about when impressing happens.

Are you alright with your character getting hurt? What injury level is acceptable/what should be avoided?: (We will never hurt your character without your express permission and will only do so in ways you find acceptable.)
  • I'm fine with getting knocked around, but I'd rather avoid injuries that would distress the dragon or put Aradir into the infirmary. If it helps, Aradir's pretty strong, and might actually be able to stop a smaller hatchling from running another candidate over. Which could be an interesting thing to happen, and show a bit of his character, that he'd try that.

Are you willing to impress a creature with a mutation/oddity? Anything that should be avoided?:
  • I have zero preferences here. I just don't want to impress female, because I don't like the idea of being a chasee.

Is there anything you will ABSOLUTELY NOT accept?: (Colors or otherwise, please note that the more specific this is, the less likely we will be able to find an appropriate match.)
  • I mentioned my "no female" preference above, and I also mentioned that I don't want insane levels of trouble or mischief from the dragon. Other than that, I'm not picky.
Arcane
Thread Destroyer

Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:52 pm
  • Link

-If you can't find the source of the image, please don't use it. TPA requires players to get permission when using fanart or other images not from mass media.

-Please list Aradir's occupation as a candidate. If he's been formally trained as a smith, please list his rank as well. In his case, he'd still be an apprentice given his age.

-Aradir's appearance needs to be a touch longer. You can discuss what sort of clothes he usually wears, how he carries himself, what his voice sounds like or anything else you find particularly relevant.

-Aradir needs a flaw. For TPA purposes, a flaw is something that either makes him less competent or less good- Basically something that could come up in a thread and either make him fail or make him in the wrong.

-Harper Hall is a major location, where other PCs are likely to come from, so we ask that players be careful with histories set there. There may be other PCs who grew up there at the same time who would not have bullied him. You can either edit the history to be set at a minor hold, where perhaps his father was the local harper hoping his son would follow in his footsteps, or specify that it was just a few children who were bullying him. I suggest the former in this case as it seems to be relevant that he didn't have children who befriended him anyway.

-How did he come to take up smithing? Is he a formally trained crafter?

-How did Aradir come to become a candidate? Since he's based at the weyr, he wouldn't need to be Searched, but he'd still need to decide it was something he wanted to do and was willing to spend less time smithing in order too pursue.
Fort
Essa of Bronze Gectusith
Hunter of Bronze Yndesk
Quinn of Bronze-White Louicyth
Wingleader S'bor of Bronze Yugoth
Allag of Brown Babyloth
Daphne of Brown Ogatath
ACM Estelle of Brown Jaehaeryth
Faralyn of Brown Grooth
Gymlin of Brown Glacendath
Ieyasu of Brown Ieyask
P'pin of Brown Palath