Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

Character Creation FAQs

Ready to create a character? Here's the board for you! All unfinished and in-review applications will be here.
Fel
Thread Conqueror

Wed May 30, 2018 3:26 pm
  • Link

Character Creation FAQs

Character Concepts

Can I play a trans/agender/non-binary character and still expect them to impress something other than green?
Of course you can! Transgender characters impress to their true gender, not their physical sex (ie: a transwoman has as much of a chance to impress gold as a cis woman). Agender/non-binary characters have an equal chance to impress any color. So far, we've had both a transwoman and a non-binary person impress gold, and a transman impressed bronze as well.

Is a play-by or character portrait required? Can I use a gif as a play-by picture?
Not at all! You don't even need one for your dragon or flit or wher. Even if you just want to put "image coming soon", that's fine. Pictures aren't even required at all. If you do intend to eventually put a picture in, as long as whatever it is fits the setting and the character (ie: no pink-haired, yellow-eyed anime character as the face for your black-haired, black eyed candidate), then it's fine. However, you cannot under any circumstances use artwork without the permission of the original artist. Don't recolor anyone's art either. As for gifs, Yes, under the condition that the gif is not: quick flashing colors, glitchy movement, or anything that could induce an epileptic seizure. Do not use a cosplayer's picture without their permission.

Can I play an expy of a fandom character?
Of course! We are rather fond of expies, playing a few of them ourselves. However, we want you to fit the setting. Don't play a Wingleader K'irk and his Bronze Enterpriseth. Be creative! Play with names and backstories. K'irk can still be K'irk without being a direct copy/paste of a wiki entry.

Can I play a dragonrider/wherhandler/candidate who is also a journeyman crafter?
You can if you redeem a minor trait. Riders/Handlers who have attained journeyman status are rare, and should not be the norm. Likewise, crafters are not particularly eager to train apprentices only for them to go off and be dragonriders, as that is a lot of time and resources wasted. You can obtain a minor trait from hitting Post Ranking Prize milestones.

Can I play a character who's a member of the Blood?
Blooded characters from major holds can be created only with staff permission. We ask that they be created sparingly and only when absolutely necessary, and that minor holds or cotholds be used in most cases.

Do whers rebond here?
Yes! Whers can rebond here. Whers here tend to blend their new and old names when they rebond. For example, if Visk were going to rebond to Keltin of Garnet Kelsk, she'd blend her name into something like Kelvisk. However, if you'd rather your wher not change their name, or not blend their names, that's still alright.

Can I have a character with a mecha dragon/building mecha dragons successfully?
Absolutely not.

Can I play a HAD (Hears-All-Dragons)?
No. Do not ask to play one. "Hears all Whers" and "Hears all Flits" characters do not exist here. There may be special circumstances where, like a few characters, they accidentally project their thoughts and can be heard by whers, but there are no HADs/HAWs/HAFs here.

Can my dragon be gay or bisexual? Can my dragon be transgender, genderqueer, or non-binary?
Ask staff first. We'll likely say yes, but we will want to discuss it and likely want to see an app first. This is to make sure that your app isn't some offensive caricature. Just let us know before you do something of the sort, and we'll get back to you once we've talked it over.

My dragon/wher uses the opposite pronouns for its color. Is it the opposite sex (like a male green)?
No. Unless explicitly stated by staff ahead of time that your dragon is a male green or a female blue (capable of clutching, in theory), your dragon merely uses opposite pronouns and would be considered trans/genderqueer. However, dragons do not experience gender dysphoria, and here they simply use pronouns they feel fit them best.

Can I app two whers bonded to one wherhandler?
No. We ask all wherhandlers to start with only one wher. If you wish to impress to a second wher, you will have to take a gamble at a wher hatching.

I really want a [COLOR], how can I get one?
Well, if you want a certain color that isn't on the Accepting List and there is no adoptable for it, then check the Post Ranking Prizes and see if there is a way to earn one. Otherwise, you can try your luck at a hatching. Almost every color is available from the Accepting List to adoptables to the post prizes.

Candidates

What are the age requirements for candidates?
Dragon candidates - 15 to 30 turns. The youngest we will ever impress a character is 14. Impressing younger than that (including in character histories) is not allowed. The age limit at all on-screen weyrs is 30.
Wher candidates - 17 and up. There is no upper age limit for wher candidates, but they must be at least 17 turns of age. There are no exceptions.

Can I impress to a wher and a dragon?
No.

Adoptables

If there is an adoptable of one color, but none on the accepting list, can I still take the adoptable?
Sure! If you want a Bronze, and there's a Bronze up for adoption, feel free to claim it. The Accepting List has no bearing on the adoptables.

How do I claim an adoptable?
Be sure you've read this thread first! And then, you can post your claim in this thread.
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux