Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

EW-NA's Literary Word Piles

A place to put drabbles, one-shots, theme challenges, letters to other characters, and other assorted in-character bits.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Sat May 22, 2021 2:20 am
  • Link

EW-NA's Literary Word Piles

Table of Contents

1: Creature of Habit - Drask is unhappy at the sudden changes around him.
2: Better This Way - Drask reflection piece
3: Regrets - Daedra is sad
4: Beach - Unseen event at the White Coast
5: The Whale - Lemuel contemplates by the sea
6: Rivalry - Urbain and Uragonsk introduction
7:Gratitude - Lau'ren and Blue Cedrateth meet the wher that saved their lives.
8:Gifts - Lau'ren and Cedrateth show their appreciation.
9:Too Much - Continued from prior event
10:A Sweet Way To Meet - Drask and Daedra's first meeting
11: Mild Concern - Daedra has concerns and Lau'ren has a discussion
12: Wanted Visitor - Daedra and Drask get an unexpected visitor in their weyr.
13: AU Writing Series -
Part 1 // Part 2//Part 3 //
Last edited by EW-NA on Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:12 am, edited 25 times in total.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Mon May 24, 2021 11:20 pm
  • Link

Creature of Habit

Aaahhh, come on, Drask... surely it won't be so different!

Despite her attempt at optimism, Daedra was met with quite a loud grumble from the wher. Not his usual day to day rumbling, but an intentional and quite displeased verbal response. That alone was enough to make her pause where she was as her expression fell a bit.

Drask was clomping the small space of their shared weyr with purpose. He moved from one space to the next, without pause or hint of stopping. His small redhaired handler had originally been tagging along behind his hulking frame, but she found herself now stranded in place as he continued to wander.

Perhaps it was akin to pacing, but she did not know Drask to 'pace' like a human would. He almost appeared like he was looking for something, or perhaps checking the area. It was not uncommon for him to wander a select area they were in, during their time living outside of society. He liked to check things, account for where he was and what was around. Part of her wondered if it was that behavior resurfacing slightly; the brown checking over the territory that he knew belonged to him.

It did make sense with the topic they were discussing.

I'm sure Xander's weyr will be an even bigger than ours right now! Doesn't that sound great?” Daedra once more worked her usually plucky enthusiasm up in hopes of winning Drask's favor. “--And we'll be bringing all of our things, so we won't have to give anything up!

Not that she or Drask had much in question. A smile pile of clothing and some odds and ends. Of course, they definitely had a lot more than ever before, which seemed natural with a more stable living arrangement. In fact, she was sure this was the first time Drask had ever had something material that was strictly 'his'.

You can bring every one of your favorite blankets-- Xander said so.

That got the wher to stop his wandering, but not in the way she hoped. Drask suddenly turned his head to her and grumbled loudly again, gnashing his large teeth in a clattery fashion. Then, with a swift turn, he hustled to his folded blanket pile and, somehow defiantly, grabbed the lot of them within his mouth and hurriedly started dragging them across the floor.

Daedra couldn't help but stare with wide eyes, unable to fathom his sudden unusual behavior. The small woman watched as the wher hurried again, pulling his prized collection to his usual sleeping spot in the center of the weyr. With practiced ease, Drask arranged his precious treasures before burrowing himself under their various colors and patterns so that all was visible of him was the end of his girth-y brown tail. With a final 'whuff' heard from deep within the bowels of the cloth cave, everything fell to silence.

For once, Daedra was at a loss as to what this all meant. Generally, Drask seemed annoyed as a general mood, but she'd never seen him like this. He wasn't quite enraged angry; she knew that, but he was definitely more frustrated than the norm.

But then why?

That was the question that she could not come up with an immediate answer for... and that worried her. The obvious assumption would be that Drask was not fond of the Junior Weyrleader. Daedra knew neither of them were on 'great' terms currently... but Daedra knew Drask confidently enough to know that Xander specifically wasn't the problem. She was also fairly sure it wasn't her feelings and budding relationship with the man either.

Daedra had a great suspicion that the reason he was being like this... was because of her. And that made her chest tighten so painfully at the very thought.

The redhead looked over at the large mass under the blankets, her eyes saddened and missing any hopeful joy from before. With a sigh, Daedra slowly made her way over to his side, lowering onto her knees so she joined him on the floor.

... Drask.”

At first, the mass gave no response. However, the quiet and woeful tone of her voice quickly penetrated through all the layers of cloth, fur, and eventually down to the brown wher under it all. With some careful shifting, a massive brown head just barely peeked out from the blanket tunnel he'd created for himself, watching with cautious yellow eyes.

Daedra atleast managed a small smile at the sight before it feel again. She reached out a small hand to him, gently resting it where she knew his neck to be. His usual warmth penetrated through the many layers, comfortingly heating her hand as always.

I'm sorry, Drask,” she gently told him. “I suppose I've gone ahead and just made a lot of choices for the both of us recently... I have been the only one making all the decisions as of late.” A sigh escaped her, prompting a small bit of movement from the brown. “That isn't very fair to you. I'm not being a very good wherhandler like that...”

Her admissions roused the wher enough to sit up from his blanket pile. The numerous layers fell back and onto his back, as Drask reared his neck up to look to her. Daedra offered him a sad smile to see him emerge and moved closer. Wrapping her arms as best she could around him, the small woman buried her face against the side of his thick neck muscles.

It has always been and probably always would be the safest place she ever felt. Even when still with her mother, Drask's presence was always the one that made her feel like nothing could ever harm them. That as long as she had Drask, everything would turn out as it should...

It was not fair of her to just sideline him as she had, as her mind was focused on something new and exciting. This wasn't just for her...

Daedra stayed pressed to the wher for a few long moments, taking comfort in his warm presence and strength. As always, Drask did not protest and happily let her be. With a final squeeze in her grip, the redhead pulled away and shifted so he could see her directly better.

I promise I'll do my best not to exclude you as I did before, Drask. Neither of us are experts on living in a big Weyr like this, so who can say what is a right or wrong choice?

Drask let out a short snort from his nose. The sudden blast of air against her face made her giggle as it made her hair tickled.

I know it's too late to ask this, but are you really sure you're okay with us going to Xander's weyr now?”

Drask let out a louder sound, almost sounding like a cough to clear something wedged deep in his throat. However, Daedra knew it enough as a good response and practically squealed in joy and she got to her feet. The wher followed soon enough and begrudgingly pulled from his 'nest'.

“I promise it won't be bad. I bet we'll get used to it so quickly, we'll barely remember this weyr down the line.” Drask snorted at that but nothing more. Daedra was trying very hard to warm him to this further.

I know! How about the first thing we do is find the best place where you'd like to sleep? You get to decide first! And, I bet Xander could get you some new blankets, too! We'll find a nice place to keep them all for you to get whenever you want them! I just know this will be wonderful for all of us, Drask!

Regardless of his real feelings on the matter, Drask found he really couldn't cling to them much. Daedra was trying so very hard to make himself, and herself, and the other human so happy with all this. He found it hard to push against her in these situations, namely when he didn't have a set reason to do so. Overall, the wher found he was content with her attempts alone, and frankly... that would be acceptable.

For now.
Last edited by EW-NA on Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:02 am
  • Link

Better This Way

Drask was a wher that tried to not dwell on the past more than necessary. There was a fine balance of keeping learned lessons on hand, and letting oneself be too distracted to notice what lay ahead. He knew plenty of relatively fine whers that fell into such a trap and he had no intention of joining them. However, sometimes it was simply impossible to not take a moment to ponder on the days long passed.

There was plenty of time to do so while stuck in this massive Weyr, as he was currently.

It was at times like this, that he couldn't help but recall back to the days before. Before weyrs and humans and formations and schedules. Long before he was titled with something other beings could address him with.

He would think back to all sorts of things, but strangely, what he recalled most often was what he and his pack were always told. No matter the situation or strife, the response was always quite simple and expected:

-Better this way.

The brown could have never really been sure if that phrase had been the real truth of the matter or not. At the time, it always seemed so and it was hard to argue. There was some reassurance when it was stated so firmly, that there could be no doubt of it. When the phrase danced through his mind, it was impossible to not recall the one who usually proclaimed it as well. He very clearly remembered the gold, and how there had been very few whers in the pack that dared to challenge her. Matriarch in all ways, she was not to be questioned. It had not been out of tyranny or taken force. She'd earned her place and earned her knowledge, and any that tried to challenge her rite, was met with defeat in one fashion or another.

The brown could still conjure her image in his mind, even now.

She had not been the biggest or longest of whers. She was rather small in comparison to the lone matriarch that wandered the vast wilds, or even ones that chained themselves in human servitude. However, she had always been strong, unyielding, and unmovable. Within the group, she ruled with wisdom and experience; to outsiders – her rule was enforced with bite and claw.

The humans that saw crowned her as One Wing, and other packs knew her as Bone-Breaker. Both titles described her well, mixed among the mantle of scars and blemishes she toted through her long turns.

And, the brown always remembered how her response to almost anything was the inevitable outcome was simply: Better this way.

Whether it was through intensely harsh terrain or following disastrous events that had plagued them. The gold simply assured them that of their path. Turn after turn, when their pack had been massive and practically owned their plains, through the constantly shifting seasons and threadfall...

-even when it was passed her times to clutch anymore, and many chose to break away for their own. He could recall her commanding spirit, even when their numbers dwindled down to a mere two. A withering gold with a limp and a hardy, stubborn brown.

Better this way.

They pushed on regardless, onward as always, until the very end. Through the noxious black mud fields, where the gold had inevitably chosen to remain for perpetuity, she still pushed him onward despite that. Regardless of his desires or feelings on the matter, the brown had no choice but to push ahead. She knew, for him, it would be better that way. Why should the brown question her right at the end, when he had never really before?

It took him a time to accept it. Things did not last forever. They changed, through cycles of flourished thriving and steady wilting, until they came back anew to start over. The brown may have been alone, but it would not be so forever. Despite his efforts for an extended amount of time.

When he had such thoughts, Drask couldn't help but ponder them in the quiet air. Thinking back to all that had happened and where he had been... to where he was now. Was it--

The cogs in his brain stopped turning as the sound of footsteps and door-slamming drew his attention. Drask drew his head up, noting Daedra suddenly scurrying into the weyr. As always, she was bright and cheery as she practically bounced over to him. It was minor but he could always see how her face lit up when she looked to him.

“I'm sorry I took so long, Drask. Did you have a nice nap?”

The wher only stretched and offered a large yawn in reply. Obviously a confirmation for her, before he steadily got to his feet.

I bet you're hungry! Why don't we get you something to eat now that I'm done with my errands! Come on now, let's go!”

Drask gave his brown hide a good shake, letting all his folds and flaps shift into a comfortable place. Once content, he happily made his way after the small woman, letting her shut the door behind him.

--Better this way.
Last edited by EW-NA on Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:56 am
  • Link

[TW: Sad thoughts on what-ifs]

Regrets

Now that spring had made its way to High Reaches, Daedra thought to do something she'd never been in the practice of doing before: Spring Cleaning!

Not to say that the young woman wasn't in the practice of keeping things tidy, but she'd never really had enough personal possessions that could accumulate to the point of needing to be being in 'storage'. Everything had been minimal; always used as it was useful, and even when it wasn't, it could be made useful as a trade or something else.

She hadn't minded that way of life, really... However, things were different now! She had a handful of different outfits and not simply based on what the weather called for. And she had a place with shelves to store them in! She had shoes and other items that could be stored elsewhere, too. Those were all things that could warrant the need for a spring cleaning!

... Though, she supposed barely a Turn of having a personal weyr, and even less of that time sharing one with another person, would let her accumulate enough to really justify the task. She still found the idea amusing enough to try. Perhaps simply getting into the habit of it would be a good enough reason to start~

So that was how she chose to spend her afternoon, settled on her knees before the dresser, meticulously taking out each item inside and setting them around her on the floor to inspect. It would let her get a real look over everything, and perhaps rearrange them in some fashion. For the moment, her blue eyes were only going to focus on her own items. While she was sure Xander wouldn't mind her looking through his clothing, Daedra was adamant to not overstep her boundaries. They may have been weyrmates, but Xander was fully entitled to what he wished to keep and what he didn't on his own. He'd been kind enough to make so much room for her and Drask already!

Speaking of the brown wher, Daedra paused and looked over her shoulder when she heard the loud, skin-flopping tune of Drask giving himself a good face-shake. As he stepped into the room, he noticed her on the floor, surrounded by a collection of... things. No doubt a silly human event, but he approached, curious none the less. Daedra beamed at him happily as he dropped to his bottom in close proximity.

"I'm spring cleaning," the redhead proudly declared, before turning so she could hold up a folded blouse. "When spring arrives, you're supposed to go through all your belongings, and see what things you can do without! So you can make room for new things," she went on to explain.

Drask only snorted at the concept. Humans did seem to like collecting things, though he supposed it was a 'Weyr' thing, too. Afterall, he was very fond of his blankets and---

The brown suddenly jerked up and sent a look towards the much smaller woman. Daedra blinked in confusion when she noticed his almost displeased and uneasy expression. It was only when he snorted and looked to his pile of folded 'treasures' by his corner, did she immediately understand.

"Oh, don't worry, Drask," she soothed to him. "You won't have to give up your blankies! Spring cleaning is for things you don't use or want anymore, and you clearly use and want your blankets, so they stay! I'm only going through my own things anyway," Daedra chirped cheerfully, showing him the blouse in her two hands.

"Look at this! This was the shirt I was wearing when we first came to High Reaches," the redhead exclaimed, clearly feeling the detail to be important. "I haven't really used it since then, as they gave me new clothes to use. I suppose I could try and make an effort to wear it a bit more now. I think spring cleaning could be a good excuse to look fondly over things, too!"

To illustrate her point, Daedra shifted the folded lump of fabric, letting it fall open enough so she could really see it. However, another bit of material fell from it. Both she and Drask turned their gaze down as it hit the floor. At first, the redhead panicked, thinking it was part of the blouse that had been ravaged by cloth-eaters. When she looked closer, Daedra could see it was a made completely different from her blouse.

Daedra set the shirt aside and picked up the dropped item, realizing it to be a handkerchief. As she held it, the color and pattern of the weave suddenly flooded her with the realization of what it was, her fingers pressing into the little bit of cloth. It wasn't something that had originally belonged to her.

"Oh... I remember this," Daedra said quietly, eyes low and focused on the little square of fabric. Drask looked up towards his handler, waiting for her to explain, as he didn't follow her logic. It seemed like a scrap... junk.

"This belonged to Mother," she explained, a smile fondly pulling at her lips, though it fell soon enough when her eyes turned sad. "She made the little flowers in the corners. I remember her using this to tie up and hold things."

Daedra wasn't sure why she had it. She'd had a few of her own over the years, a number of them getting lost or tearing to an unfixable state. Her mother almost never had need to replace her own, but always made sure Daedra had when she was without one. As she tried to ponder the answer, the memory suddenly hit her, clearly replaying in her head as if the memory were recent.

"... It fell in a puddle."

Confused at the statement, Drask looked up and turned his gaze to Daedra. She was still looking over the thing in her hand, holding it open, taut between her fingers. Drask was taken aback at the sudden wash of sadness that seemed to have doused the room.

"It was the last day she walked with us on our way to High Reaches.... We stopped on the side of a road, so we could take a break and-- and check we had everything." There was a slight crack in Daedra's voice, her emotions overtaking her as she spoke on. Drask could only silently sit and watch her, however, with each word she uttered, the wher found the memory coming back to him as well, vaguely.

"She was--- she spoke so calmly that day. It was like it didn't bother her at all. I remember trying so hard to be cheerful that day--- for her. Because I knew she wanted me to be cheerful and smiling... Mother acted like it was just going to be a short trip for us, like when we used to go to the Hold markets while she stayed behind. I saw the handkerchief fall from her hand and hit a road puddle... It was all wet and dirty when I picked it up, but I guess in my mind, I thought I would just return it to her later... when we were done... when we---"

Drask noticed how Daedra cut her words then. His eyes lowered to the handkerchief in her hand, clean and neat, as if the event she described never happened. The wher felt a bothersome ache in his chest, as he joined her in reminisce. He may not have been bonded to the older female human as he had to Daedra, but she was included in his pack companionship. She belonged there, without argument, and Drask could admit he had been saddened greatly from the departure. Not merely a residual bout from Daedra's own sorrow, he had his own as well.

Daedra's vision suddenly blurred as she stared longer at the handkerchief. She made a small whimper, as she used the back of her arm to wipe at her eyes. Drask continued to simply sit silently, a companion beside her, as always. He was not one for verbal sorrows himself.

Eventually, the small woman let out a weary breath, her lips trembling as she tried to stay composed. "I wonder... how she'd doing..." the redhead asked, not expecting a real answer.

"I hope she's doing well... I wonder how she managed this past winter... if she thinks of us... You know, I just realized... I haven't thought of her much, until this point."

There was an unfamiliar tone in Daedra's voice. Drask found his eyes returning to her, a bit surprised at the subtle thing he'd caught: a remorseful bitterness. He watched as the woman's face contorted tightly in pain, trying to fight against the emotions ripping at her chest. Drask knew her statement wasn't entirely true. The wher knew Daedra had thought of her parent plenty since arriving... It was just that she had never let herself be this sad about it... So focused on getting herself and him situated in the inner workings of this place. Of fulfilling her last promise to her parent.

"M-Mother is all--- all alone now! She... she has no one. We're here... and I don't even know where she is now... "

Despite her efforts, Daedra could not hold herself back anymore. She let out a woeful cry, as tears suddenly streamed along her cheeks like overflowing rivers. Daedra buried her face into the handkerchief, the only viable thing she could manage to replicate her mother's missing presence. A presence she had never been without until coming here... the presence she knew even before Drask... long before Xander. The comforting family she had known since before she could remember anything tangible...

The reality of that fact hit her so brutally then. The moment she allowed herself to really think on it, to feel it and realize it, in full. Daedra would likely never be able to return the cloth back to her mother; what her mind had so foolishly made her think originally. There would be no happy reunions or new memories to make. It was now only the memories she had, and if she did not think of them enough or forget them.... that was it.

There had been a time, upon arriving to High Reaches, that Daedra hoped she would hate the Weyr. That the place would be awful and not accept them, and she and Drask could leave and go back to how they lived before. They could find her Mother easily and go far, far away and enjoy the rest of their days. Despite the harshness of it, they would endure and be together - all three of them.

But, that had not been what happened. High Reaches had accepted her and the brown immediately. Daedra quickly grew to enjoy being in the Weyr; she enjoyed the people and the other whers and the dragons. She liked the routines and the work and the rewards that came with it. She met Xander and realized it would be impossible for her to ever leave him, to be away from his side more than necessary.

The realization of who she loved in the Weyr and who she loved outside of it could never... ever meet. Separated forever other than what her faulty human memory allowed.

It made her utterly weep.

Crumpling forward to the floor, body curled in a tight ball as she began to soak the handkerchief with her tears. Daedra wailed in utter sorrow. She wept as she understood there had been nothing else she could have done, and she wept because she was unsure if there was anything she could do. She wept... and she wept.

Drask still sat beside her, his neck and body hanging low, as he met with and understood her agony. He intended to sit quietly beside her, though it pained him to keep listening. He would keep watch over his handler; he would be sad but he would wait for her.

Until she was ready and back to herself again. However, Daedra continued to weep. From the constant eyes and judgements of the Weyr, while Xander worked unaware in his office, far down the halls...

Daedra wept.
Last edited by EW-NA on Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:02 am
  • Link

(Reference to this thread.)

The Beach

-----------------------------

Daedra found herself unable to sleep, or rather, her attempt at dosing was proving quite difficult. She wasn't sure why though, on that particular evening. It had been an enjoyable day and in theory, she should have been exhausted. However, she found herself settled with a strange contentedness, compared to restlessness as the reason for her being awake.

Strewn upon comfortable blankets and hidden under a cozy tent coverings. All while she could hear the gentle breeze rustling the trees, over the distant roar of the ocean as it came and went. Her lips pulled into a smile as she could also just make out the gentle breathing from the warm form beside her.

Carefully as she could, Daedra pushed up from her little nest, trying not to cause any type of noticeable disturbance. The firelizards were curled up at the top of the bedding, quiet and content in sleep. If they awoke, there would be no quiet and content for any of them for awhile...

Her eyes turned and it was then she noticed a large mass outside the tent, a black shape silhouetted from the light of the moons. The sight of it made her pause briefly, before deciding to leave the comfortable space. The shadow had an eerie and looming presence against the tent canvas, but she easily recognized it after a glance. Daedra carefully crawled her way through the entrance flap to the outside. She had nothing to fear, of course. The moment she could see across the moonlit expanse, the shadowy shape had been just as she expected.

The wher was sitting some marks away, facing towards the beach. He wasn't close enough to be on the sand, but he was farther from their little campsite than she would have thought. The redhead smiled as she got to her feet, having a nice little stretch before she trotted quietly towards him. Drask did not give her much initial acknowledgment; he still knew she was there all the same. He only turned his head down in her direction, once he felt her sit beside him on the rough turf. The glance was brief, before he shifted his gaze back ahead of them.

Strangely, Daedra did not speak up, as the two sat side by side. The redhead was normally compelled to fill the quiet times with conversation, since she had to do most of it between the two of them. However, right then, it felt nice enough to enjoy the peace... to enjoy the rhythmic roar along the coast. The moons were bright and illuminated enough to light the beach despite the late hour. In a few days, it would all be far behind them, when they returned to the loud bustle of High Reaches. But for now, they were here and could enjoy it in entirety.

Eventually, Drask raised his head high, stretching his thick neck to the faded clouds before letting out a rolling cry. It was a long and drawn-out sound, with a deepness that rumbled through his entire body. Daedra could feel the rocks under them literally quake from the power of it, but it was somehow haunting, and perhaps almost melodious. She'd seen and heard him perform this ritual a number of times before, and she always found herself watching him in fascination. Muscles tightening and flexing in his chest and throat, as the wher skillfully formed his 'notes'. Sending them far into the sky, to be carried along the wind.

After a few moments, Drask's call quieted until it faded to silence. His small companion opened her mouth to comment, until a collection of far off sounds made her hold. Both she and Drask craned their heads towards them, listening to the replies coming in far off from the east. First was one, sounding similar to the howl the brown had bellowed off, and before it finished, a few more chimed in. All at different times and lengths, lighter and deeper in tone and feel. Daedra smiled as she listened; a collection of wher calls, so similar and yet, every one distinctly different.

A nearby sound drew her attention from the steadily lingering symphony. A light tapping on the rocks behinds her, which she knew to be the tip of his tail moving. She could tell he was happy, or atleast content enough to really be enjoying himself. Drask did like visiting the beach. It filled her with such simple joy, that they were all able to come for a visit to the ocean side, together.

Eventually, curiosity got the better of her. “Are they friends of yours?” Daedra asked quietly, eyes turned up to her bonded companion.

Drask turned to meet her gaze before snorting a small breath from his nose. A decline, she deduced. Drask was strange about 'friends' concerning other whers. It was not quite the same as what a human would count as friends, she knew. He had very specific distinctions like that. 'Pack mentality', and the like. Similar, but different... as it went for many other things.

“They sound quite a way's off. They're not in the direction of High Reaches,” she casually mused. Part of Daedra wondered if it were some of the roaming packs near the Weyr. The direction the wind had carried the sound from, proved that near impossible though. The season was too nice for them to move that way just yet.

“Were they just saying 'hello'?” the redhead asked innocently, smiling in amusement. She beamed brighter at his affirmative sounding grumble. “You almost sounded like you were all singing together~”

Drask made a displeased snort at that. 'Singing' – or what the humans did when they made loud noise and thumped animal skins and blew into hollowed tree branches. 'A lot of noise' is what most whers and dragons would consider it. Humans always did such strange and seemingly pointless things to makes themselves happy...

“Are you having fun on the trip then?”

Daedra was pretty sure of the answer, but thought to ask regardless. It seemed only right, given the circumstance. The large wher turned to her again, looking seemingly not as grumpy as normal. An affirming snort was his reply, followed by the light sound of his tail tip against the stones again.

“I'm glad,” she chirped, shifting closer so she could loop her small arms around his girthy foreleg to nuzzle against him. “I'm having a wonderful time, too. I'm happy we were able to come here.”

Once again, the chorus of wher calls sounded from over the hills. Drask took a moment before he reeled back again to reply. The rolling howl quickly drifted off to join them. Daedra merely sat as she was, smiling as she listened to the 'conversation' she could never hope to understand. Something that perhaps even most of the other whers at High Reaches couldn't understand.

...All as she watched the waves moving along the shoreline. Their foamy tops illuminated in a golden glow, that specific color the moons only seemed to turn on clear nights by the ocean.

How wonderful~
Last edited by EW-NA on Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:02 am
  • Link

TW: Weird... It's weird

The Whale
-------

Lemuel sat upon the sand, eyes cast over the rolling waves as they came up along the beach. There were no fishing poles with him that day; no nets, no hooks. A rare reprieve from his heavy responsibilities, as he was given the day to rest. One might have assumed him to spend it back in the Weyr, tucked cozy into his room to relax.

That held no appeal for Lemuel.

He found he could not relax as he wanted to there. Too much noise, too much commotion. The wrong kind of sounds that left him distracted and disoriented. He was happiest when he was by the sea, and that was how he chose to spend his day of freedom.

The day was warm, but he did not mind. The sun did not bother him, not after so many days hard at work under it. The breeze that drifted from the ocean was pleasant that day. Calm and cooling, letting the flocks of sea wherries casually ride along the updrafts. He watched them circle among eachother, looking no different than the dragons that took flight over Semaca.

His mind had been troubled as of late. Lingering thoughts and uneasy feelings he could not explain much. To himself or otherwise. However, they did not plague him currently, for he was by the sea. The sea never failed to aid him in such things. Keeping him calm and letting him focus, without having to hone in upon anything tangible at all...

The prior gripping thoughts of his mind could not reach him now; his ears only filled with the loud roar of the waves, as they crashed upon the sands. The constant rhythm of the them, easing him as they came steadily, like practiced breathing. The steady beat of a heart. With each deep breath inhaled, his lungs filled with the salty brine aroma the waves carried, filling every part of him from within. Filling everything he was until there was nothing else there, nothing but the sea.

Oh, to sink beneath the foam and tides, the hull of him filled and weighted with ocean water, as he drifted down to bottomless depths. Down to darks that none on land could go... and hope to return from.

Lemuel sometimes wondered if it were common for others to have such thoughts. To dream of dark blues and indigos, of sharp tastes of salt, and the gentle caress of bubbles upon his skin. Of haunting siren calls that pierced the ears and heart. Highs and lows of a melody he could not hear the words to... He had to imagine not... He felt most would think it too dreary. Depressing.

Lemuel did not feel it that way. Such things made him calm. Made him content, as if learning proper understanding. As if he understood why the moons moved and of the turn of the tides within the water. Of creatures and plants that went about their existence, having never experienced the world of the above, and the reverse for below.

Strange, strange thoughts and feelings he was not sure were his own...

He had to wonder, if such was the sensation dragons and their riders experienced. A head-space one had always been familiar with, now touched by another so it was new. A presence left like a shadow, a darkness one sees in the corner of their eye. There, but unseen when the eye was turned. Perhaps that was not the right description, he feared. It did not sound correct... not in the way people looked upon dragonriders.

It only seemed correct for his own mind.

Even now, when he closed his eyes, he could see. Blackness but sudden bursts of swirled colors. Bubbling up and growing until they burst back to nothing, only to loom up again and again. A rhythm, no different than the pull of the ocean waves. Reaching and clawing, only to be dragged back again, as if to gather strength. The same motion, but the pattern and colors always blossoming to something different. Like a drop of oil on the surface of water.

An eye of unfathomable knowledge, bottomless but colored with ever changing thoughts. Events that had happened well before, and what happened far beyond its own reach. As if viewing sight from far past his own two eyes, but himself being too undeveloped. He was unable to really see.

Yet, he could feel... A presence, but nothing other than himself there. Lemuel could just not understand.

He exhaled harshly as he forced his eyes open to the present. Focusing his gaze back on the waves as they rolled in. Such were the state of his thoughts, as of late. Distractions were all that seemed to keep him from such mind tricks.

Work and the sea. The ever flowing and ever changing.

Sitting back, Lemuel sighed as he continued to look out across the water. He would enjoy the day, regardless.
Last edited by EW-NA on Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:14 pm
  • Link

TW: A wher-pair of jerks being jerks.
Rivalry

Daedra beamed to herself as she clutched her canvas bag to her chest. Another successful foraging trip completed! The redhead loved when she had the time to take them with Drask. He was always happiest when he got to spend extended time outside of High Reaches, even if it was only for a few hours. Being able to spend time in the fields and trees, feeling like a proper wild wher for a small bit of time. It helped break the monotony of routine for them both. There was still more than enough time to get their 'spoils' safely stored away, and able to get ready for their duties that evening.

She could sense the large brown lumbering behind her at an amicable pace. One probably couldn't tell from his expression, which was generally very grouchy looking, but Daedra could absolutely tell. Feeling her partner in a good mood always added to her own. The rest of the evening would be pleasant, she just knew it!

That was, until she sensed Drask pause and stiffen behind her. Before Daedra had the chance to turn and check on him, she bumped into something large and firm, forcing her to a stop. A small sound escaped her from the shock, jarring her enough to accidentally drop her pouch to the floor.

Watch where going! - a voice blared angrily in her mind suddenly.

Daedra quickly looked up, and realized she had to keep looking to meet the flaring snoot of a very large and very fierce looking wher. Cautiously, she took a step back and the bronze snorted a hot and unsavory breath from his nostrils at her. While Drask had always done similar, this experience was somehow very foreign to her and... unpleasant. Unpleasant enough to make her a bit nervous.

“O-Oh, I'm sorry,” she uttered out hesitantly, offering her usual type of smile. “I didn't mean to run into you. It was an accident...”

The bronze snorted again, raising his head up higher, as if he could look down even more so at the pint-sized woman. Daedra could feel her insides quake nervously as she stared up in return, feeling like a tiny insignificant mouse under such a predatory gaze. Regardless, she kept a relatively modest smile on her lips. Whers and even dragons who were much bigger than her almost never threw her off in such a way, but there was something about this specific bronze's completely unimpressed aura...

His gaze shifted lower to the floor, and then he noticed the contents that had spilled from the fallen rucksack. Without a word, he lowered his head and began to greedily gobble anything he could into his maw. Mushrooms, berries, herb leaves: hours of work amounting to nothing but scraps.

“A-Ah!! Please don't,” Daedra cried out, immediately bending down to retrieve what remained of her pack. “We spent all afternoon gathering those!”

So what?! I want eat!

The bronze made a threatening step in Daedra's direction, causing her to recoil back, her arms pulled close to her chest as she stared with wide eyes. It was then Drask barged his way from behind her. He pushed ahead of his handler, shoving his face and bared teeth at the bronze. The sudden fierce presence and growling made the other wher withdraw, but only momentarily. After a mere millisecond of shock, the bronze moved forward again, looking so terribly smug and so terribly confident.

What you do? You old and ugly wher! You get beat up good and I toss you away!! Smelly garbage!

Sensing this situation could escalate terribly quickly, Daedra grabbed at the brown's neck and tried to keep hold of him. “Drask, don't,” she pleaded, not wanting a fight to break out. “We'll get in trouble if you fight another wher! It's not important, let's just leave...” Daedra didn't want to back down from defending her friend, but as expected, she didn't see the bronze to 'play' very nice in this situation.

Drask didn't seem to hear her level reasoning either. He continued to growl at the antagonistic bronze, who seemed almost eager for a fight, shifting on his forelegs in anticipation. Afterall, why shouldn't he teach a wher below him the proper place where he belonged? The brown was old and worn looking, he clearly had no place in a Weyr like High Reaches, unlike himself. Stronger and younger and clearly a better fighter, and with a better handler and---

“Causing trouble, are you, Uragonsk?”

Immediately the bronze wher went still. He jerked his head behind him, and Daedra and Drask noticed another person making their way over. He was tall and a surprisingly older gentleman, with well-kept and handsome features. Daedra quickly noticed his refined movements, as he took casual steps with his arms crossed at his back. His smile was inviting and he looked almost friendly and amicable as he stepped beside the bronze wher. Uragonsk, as he was named, seemed just as pleased and smug to see the man as well, surprisingly. When he turned back to them, his expression reminded Daedra of a spoiled child, pleased with their guardian arriving to get someone in trouble...

“I apologize if my wher intimidated you,” the man spoke up, bowing his head ever so slightly. “He tends to forget himself, especially when hunger pangs him. I'm sure you're rather familiar with such things.”

The man offered her another smile, and Daedra awkwardly returned it. She wasn't sure why, but the gesture from him didn't ease her nerves any. Regardless, Uragonsk seemed to back away, atleast enough that didn't make Daedra worry for a brawl to start in the hallway. Drask was no longer growling either, but he didn't ease on his expression, angrily staring the bronze and handler down from his position.

Daedra opened her mouth to say something, but the man seemed to make a sound of casual exclamation, cutting her off. “Oh, my manners-where have they gone in this moment?” he mildly tutted. “I am called Urbain, and this is my bronze, Uragonsk. I hope we did not unsettle you from your---”

Daedra could feel more than witness Urbain's eyes shift along her form, feeling him take note of the dirt and roughage left on her clothing. Foraging wasn't exactly a clean activity... The redhead couldn't help but shift in embarrassment. She must have looked like quite the pauper in comparison to his lovely attire.

“Ah, n-no, of course not! W-We just came back from a small outing in the forest. We were just about to get ready for a duty shift,” Daedra explained, a mild tremor in her voice suddenly. As if realizing she was speaking to someone stationed well above herself. Urbain said nothing in reply, merely watching her with a casual kind of grin on his lips, as if he found this all very, very amusing. Seeing it made her realize a key social cue she had missed, before stumbling ina hurry to correct it.

“Oh! My name is D-Daedra, by the way, and this is Drask,” the redhead added, before gesturing back to the brown at her side. He wasn't phased in any regard as she was, and in fact, he looked utterly annoyed at the two individuals standing across from him and his handler.

A pleasure, I'm sure,” Urbain offered, his eyes blinking a moment as he enunciated. “To be young and able to partake in such things~ Uragonsk and I should keep you no longer then,” he added with a small sigh, as if parting was such a hard task to do. “You and your … brown must be presentable for the duty of the Weyr, afterall. Able to perform your best work and look your best ~”

Daedra found herself unsure how to respond to that. When she looked down at her clothing... they certainly did seem absolutely filthy all of a sudden. Perhaps she should hurry along and change, to atleast make sure she wouldn't be late. Nodding to the man, Daedra offered a rather humble farewell, before snatching her bag from beside Uragonsk's claws. She quickly began to trot down the pathway, feeling that perhaps if she hurried, there would be ample time. It certainly wouldn't hurt...

Drask, however, was not as swayed. He kept his slow pace as he moved aside Urbain and Uragonsk, staring distrustfully at them. Urbain offered him no response in the slightest, merely keeping his eyes ahead and continuing to smile. The bronze exchanged a snort, before Drask was well on his way and far down the walkway. It was only then that the man turned to chance a glance behind them.

“Hmm, now isn't that peculiar,” Urbain drolled to himself.

What peculiar? Uragonsk asked in reply, after snortling up a few remaining bits of food from Daedra's dropped bag.

“That is not the way to the more commonplace Wherhandler Quarters.”

Uragonsk glanced back to check, realizing as well. ...Think they tattle?

The disapproving sound his handler made forced Uragonsk to glance back his way. “Certainly not, dear Uragonsk. For what would they 'tattle' on, and more importantly to whom?” he asked, almost mockingly. “Food items brought into a Weyr of High Reaches caliber is meant to be shared throughout the entirety of said Weyr. You are part of said Weyr, my friend. If anything, you merely performed your expected task of keeping this pathway clear of debris for those walking by. We can't account for others who selfishly bring in filth-laden items to soil around the place! Besides, I do not think you should fret on individuals, like those two, acting so boldly. Pay them no mind at all~”

Urbain right! Uragonsk agreed with an eager head nod. Them worth nothing! You right!

“Of course, I am,” the handler amended calmly. “Now, come along, Uragonsk. We have our own business to attend to.”
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:39 am
  • Link

Gratitude

Lau'ren, there is a wher down below us.

“Oh?” The man upon his back gave an uncharacteristic response of disinterest. Cedrateth could feel his rider's mind wandering as they flew, eyes focused ahead but not particularly seeing anything. It had been a long day of flights and drills. The sun was not quite set, and both rider and dragon were eager to return to welcoming ledge of their weyr.

Normally, a wher was not something to draw much concern for either of them. They were well within the territory borders of High Reaches, so seeing one was not out of the question. Unusual, but some whers seemed unbothered when braving the bright hours of sunlight. Nightfall was only a short interval away, anyway. There didn't seem a reason to give much thought on the matter....unless---

“Is it wild, or doing something of concern,” Lau'ren asked, adjusting himself in his seat to straighten his back out a bit. Wher-related matters were usually taken care of by the actual handlers of the Weyr, but if there was something he and the Blue could offer aid with immediately, it was only right to do so. Duties as a dragonrider went far beyond just fighting Threadfall.

No, but I think we should land, Cedrateth replied, a bit cryptically. I do not think it warrants concern, but I have personal suspicions.

Lau'ren was unsure of what his Bonded meant on that. Normally Cedrateth was very clear in his words and endeavors. Still, the man trusted his dragon and gave silent approval for him to touch down. With a sharp turn of his wings, Cedrateth glided gently in a circular motion, moving lower and lower until he could safely touch his feet to the earth below him, cushioning the landing with a final pump of his wings. Once it was safe to do so, Lau'ren undid his strappings and slid himself from the Blue's neck to stand beside him. Some paces ahead, the wher continued to go about his business. He was very large, and a muted brown. Unimpressive by Weyr standards, other than his general girth. The pair remained on alert despite no signs of aggression being shown. Cedraeth may have been taller, but a wher's strength could be outmatched in the right circumstances. It seemed this particular wher didn't have much interest with them.

Or so, Lau'ren and Cedrateth thought. No sooner did the man take a step, did the Brown pause and swivel his thick neck around for a look. His sagging wrinkled face held an expression of displeasure, eyes a sharp yellow of caution. Yet, he continued to chew on a mouthful of fresh meat from a recent hunt he'd clearly had, giving an air of complete disinterest—unless there was reason to have some. Lau'ren's eyes widened as his breath caught in his throat, though not out of fear.

It couldn't be---

“It's you,” the bluerider declared, his voice breathless from the surprise. Without thinking, he took a few bold steps forward, moving away from the safety of Cedrateth's side. The dragon said nothing, but suddenly went on alert. While his suspicions had been proven correct, as his rider confirmed, the two of them were still interacting with a wher of unknown origin and intent. While both were sure this Brown in particular had offered them aid once, it was not a guarantee he would do so again. Lau'ren was positive it was him though. The tail, the particular shape of his face and neck... the visual memory was burned into his mind, that it remained clear to him to this very day as it had Turns prior. So clear that even Cedrateth had realized...

However, with two strangers encroaching into his space, one being a dragon, the wher's face suddenly tightened into a snarl. Lau'ren wisely froze in his tracks, going to a complete standstill. While he was positive this was the wher that had helped them so many turns ago, he was unsure how to react now. Giving his thanks for saving his and his dragon's life was to be expected, but... would that be possible with what he assumed to be a feral wher? Should he bother to try and speak to him? The wher hadn't spoken before... was he incapable? Was he simply putting himself and his lifemate in peril once again for something relatively unimportant?

Keep alert, Lau'ren, Cedrateth warned his rider. Even if the two of them owed this wher their lives, the dragon would not hesitate to step in to protect his rider.

“My apologies, Sir Wher, my partner and I mean you no ill will.” Standing straight and presentable, Lau'ren offered a bow to the Brown, as if the gesture would have any significance to him. “We are simply under the impression we have met once before and I---”

Lau'ren's words were cut short when a much lighter voice suddenly called in. Taken by surprise, the rider turned towards the source, having not been able to distinguish what was actually spoken. However, out of the corner of his vision, he noticed the brown wher did the same... before shuffling off with purpose. Eventually, a young woman seemed to appear from a thick collection of foliage, with her attention solely focused on the wher. So... it seemed he wasn't as feral as they thought.

“E-Excuse me,” Lau'ren, without taking a moment to question himself further, suddenly hurried off to close the distance. Cedrateth, not wishing to be forgotten, stepped a few paces closer as well.

“Begging your pardon, Milady, but... this wher--- Are you two together by chance?”

Daedra, having just started asking Drask of his actions, turned wide-eyed to the newcomers. Normally she'd be a bit more hesitant of strangers suddenly appearing but... it was a bit hard to miss the familiar colors of the man's shoulder knots. As well as the rather noble looking Blue in his stead. Dragonriders were always generally around, that she knew... but it was very unusual to have one approach her and Drask.

“Hello,” the redhead greeted with a smile, setting her bag and other items on the ground. “--and, yes, I'm his handler. His name is Drask, and I'm Daedra,” she added, figuring to get that out of the way quickly. Drask was standing quite close to her, in his usual protective manner as he continued to scowl in suspicion. Dragonriders were generally of the trustworthy sort, she felt, but....

“...Can we help you with something?”

Daedra was surprised to see a look of utter wonder pass over the young man's face. Most people seemed to stare in a bit of disbelief when they learned of her being Drask's handler, but this was the first time she'd seen someone have this particular reaction. In fact, if she had to guess, he looked almost pleased about it.

“Ah, I had no idea,” Lau'ren began, quite cheerfully. “How wonderful!! I am pleased to learn this fine Brown's name, then! Cedrateth and I assumed he was of the wild sort.”

Daedra didn't have to guess what the dragon's name was anymore. “Oh, I see. Well... Drask was wild for some time before. Is there some reason you asked? I promise he's not doing anything out of sort.”

It wasn't uncommon for others to inquire of the wher and his origins. It was a well-practiced introduction she was used to. Though, Daedra would admit this was the first time someone seemed 'familiar' with the wher in some fashion. She couldn't help but be curious, while Drask, unsurprisingly, really offered no insight to any of it. Just as she meant to question him, the rider spoke up again.

“Ah, introductions,” he declared before giving a dramatic sweep of his arm before bowing low at his waist before them. Daedra and Drask both were stunned by the action.

“It is the grandest pleasure to make your acquaintance both, Lady Daedra and Master-Wher Drask. I am rider Lau'ren of Blue Cedrateth,” he gestured behind him, prompting the dragon to offer a bow of his head as well. Such politeness! “It has been both of our esteemed wish to meet with this magnificent Brown again, and offer him our full gratitude for his deeds.”

Daedra couldn't help but tilt her head in complete confusion, before turning to the wher beside her. “You've met them before? What did you do?” she couldn't help but quietly ask. Drask only snorted in response, clearly without an immediate answer himself. Was this some sort of trick?

We understand if you may not recall, Cedrateth calmly interjected, mental voice warm and understanding. -but you saved the life of myself and my rider from certain death when I had become injured. Your selfless and brave actions to fend off our attackers was the only reason we could return to High Reaches.

Daedra watched as Drask took a moment to turn his own head, a gesture similar to herself as he seemed to recall. Or atleast try to. Thankfully, Cedrateth knew the memory to be safely stored away in his rider's head, and was happy to convey a few glances of it to both the Brown and his handler. As expected, Drask seemed to recall it better once he'd seen what prey he'd gotten out of the encounter. Regardless of its briefness, the likeness of Drask's physique was unmistakable.

“Uwaaah~ You really did save them, Drask,” Daedra practically cheered, clasping her fingers as she turned to the wher in utter adoration. Drask only gave his usual kind of whuff. As always, seemingly unimpressed with his own actions. Everyone always seemed to make such a fuss over these things...

“He did, and I know there is very little I can offer to show my true appreciation for it. My life and that of my dragon's is all because of you. I am most humbly in your debt,” Lau'ren once again chimed in, bowing deeply in tow with his words.

At the mere mention of the word, Daedra quickly shook her hands to dissuade him. “Oh, no, that's unnecessary,” the small woman assured, knowing Drask would feel the same. “Your words are more than enough! I know very well how capable Drask can be in such situations. I can speak of a similar experience with him! Both of us are just happy it all turned out all right! I'm sure High Reaches would be bereft without such a capable rider as you and Cedrateth appear to be!”

Your words are most kind, Handler Daedra the dragon replied, words sounding almost mirrored of his rider. Like they were two halves of the same whole.

“If it would not inconvenience the two of you terribly, would it be possible for Cedrateth and I to call upon you in the future?” Lau'ren asked, voice hopeful. “I assume you both hail from High Reaches Weyr as well, and it would please us greatly to get to know the both of you better. I must admit I am not familiar with many wherhanders and their Bonded, and it is something I would like to remedy. With your approval, of course.”

Daedra couldn't believe how polite this person was, or what she assumed to be polite. His words were very flourished, but not mockingly so. He simply seemed very earnest, and the redhead couldn't help but be endeared. Not to mention both of them seemed very approving of Drask the most! Not many dragons and riders she'd met seemed to do that. Still, she turned to the Brown and silently asked for his opinion on it. Drask only snorted in indifference; clearly he didn't mind either way.

“We wouldn't mind,” Daedra exclaimed with a bright smile. “We're always happy for new friends!”

The look of utter joy on Lau'ren face practically matched that of Daedra's. “Splendid!! Cedrateth and I should head back to our weyr now, but we intend to meet with the two of you again, quite soon! However, if you ever need the aid of a dragonrider in the meantime, please do not hesitate to call upon us! I, Lau'ren, and Blue Cedrateth wish to be a pair of reliable wings to you both, should you ever need them.”

Now, even Daedra thought that to be a bit dramatic, but didn't have the heart to say. The two seemed so happy to meet them. Surely there was no harm in this. With a few final farewells and happy spoken words, the handler excitedly waved them off as Cedrateth took to the skies. Effortlessly, the Blue soared high into the fading light of the sunset, the golden colors from the clouds shimmering upon his wings before the two were out of sight. With a sigh, Daedra lowered her arm and turned to Drask with a smile.

“Well, fancy that? How unexpected!”

Drask gave no comment. With a breath from his nostrils, he wandered back to where his discarded hunt lay and went to finish it. No sense letting it go to waste.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:32 pm
  • Link

Gifts

The unusual encounter Daedra and Drask had with the bluerider was quickly pushed to the backs of their minds. Not that such a meeting was unwanted or worth being forgotten. However, there were duties to fulfill and chores to complete. Also with the vastly different schedule between them, the handler had assumed they would not cross paths again. Atleast, not so soon. It was barely a full week before a looming shadow crossed over the small woman as she adjusted the strapping on Drask's back.

The redhead had barely noticed as first, casually working the leather to sit comfortably as she rambled on to the beloved Brown. It was only when Drask jerked his head up and growled in warning did her fingers pause. Daedra was surprised as the sky seemed to grow darker despite it being just the turn of evening, and a cold wind blew up the dirt from the grassy cover of the weyrbowl. She found she had to cover her eyes before realizing the wind and darkness was accompanied by the beat of mighty wings. It was the charming voice that called out that made her look to attention.

“Please forgive the intrusion during your evening preparations, Milady. Cedrateth and I are happy to have found you and Brown Drask before you departed for the evening.”

Daedra blinked in confusion as she took in the large form of Cedrateth before them, standing proud with his rider firmly positioned on his back. She was at a loss to respond at first. Of course she recognized the young man, but it was quite the surprise to see him. Frankly, it was always a surprise to see dragons and their riders in the evening hours, unless they were positioned upon the Heights. She could feel Drask shift uneasily beside her, a frown pulling at his sagging facial features. Though they had met once, Drask was not known to warm so easily. Even with the claim of him being a hero to the two, old habits were hard to break.

As Lau'ren unfastened himself, adjusting his shoulder cape and sliding down the blue dragon's side, Daedra shook herself out of the shock. Putting a welcoming smile on her features, she stepped forward to greet him. “Lau'ren! Hello!! And to you as well, Cedrateth,” she chirped, nodding her head respectfully to each. “What brings you here this evening? Do you need help with something?”

Daedra was unsure of what help she and Drask could be, but as it was growing darker, perhaps the two needed a pair of night-eyes. Hopefully it wasn't because someone was lost outside the Weyr or the like. The redhead had serious doubt on that anyway. Namely from how happy Lau'ren seemed to see the both of them. It was then she realized he pulled something from his side. It was only when he drew upon her, was she finally able to make out what was in his hands.

A lovely bouquet of fresh flowers. She was able to smell their lovely aroma even before she could properly make out the gentle color of the blossoms. It was a sizable bundle, tightly wound together in a wrapping and even included a ribbon twirled up in a cute bow. Once again, she was at a loss to speak as he offered it out to her.

“What... are these for?” the small handler asked, eyes and voice turning up in confusion. It was tempting to reach out and take such a pretty gift. Daedra absolutely adored flowers, but.... she couldn't think of a reason as to why he'd be offering them to her. Afterall, she hadn't been the one to aid them...

They are a gift for you, Lady Daedra, Cedrateth politely interjected on behalf of his rider. It was hard to tell the expressions of dragons, but aside from the happy colors of the eyes, she could have sworn his features in general seemed to turn up in a 'bemused' way. A token of gratitude, as seemed befitting of Brown Drask's kind handler.

Daedra still did not understand. Surely the two realized that she had no part in their rescue all those turns ago. The redhead did not get to interject further, before Lau'ren smiled wider and stepped forward to put the blossoms into her arms. Daedra's eyes widened as she quickly took hold of her gift, not wishing to let them drop and go to ruin. Unable to help herself, the small woman turned and gave a fretted look behind her to Drask. As if Cedrateth and Lau'ren could hear their thoughts, the rider suddenly spoke up.

“Fear not, we have brought a 'thank you' gift for Master Wher Drask,” he explained, before turning and heading to Cedrateth's side. “We only thought it right that you receive something as well. You are his handler, afterall.”

That atleast explained things a bit better....

At the mention of something for him, Drask took a few cautious steps up to stand beside Daedra, towering her protectively. Gifts were fine and all, but the Brown was always of a cautious sort, atleast with those that were still new to him. His association with dragons was rather limited, atleast in most cases many offered greetings or comments and that was the extent of what they wished with him. That was fine in Drask's mind. The wher and handler watched as Lau'ren undid the tie of some large.... object that was hanging from Cedrateth's leathers. With the tie undone, it clumped to the dirt rather loudly, hinting it had some impressive weight to it. Suddenly, with another grand show of tossing the covering around it, Lau'ren set his hand proudly upon the top of the item. Like Daedra earlier, the moment Drask realized the identity of it, his expression shifted.

“I was at a bit of a loss as to what would be an acceptable gift, but I hope this will suffice,” Lau'ren explained, his hand tapping the gift in question. “It's hardly a fair exchange for the life of myself and my Bonded, but we hope you will accept it. It would honor the two of us, most sincerely.”

A sharp and spicy smell immediately filled Drask's nostrils. A hearty meat scent, wafting and tempting his floppy jowls to dribble. At Lau'ren's side was an oversized leg of herdbeast, huge and charred to perfection, coated in a collection of spices he'd only started getting acquainted with from the kitchens of High Reaches. It was no simple cut of meat, it was a feast (for humans anyway), aged and prepared with the level of care that only the wealthy could think to splurge upon. Drask knew he'd never had a taste of such a thing before... and while he was not the picky sort, the wher certainly knew when something would be good.

This would far surpass that.

The wher immediately licked his chops in anticipation. Surprisingly, he did not run to it, at first. Instead, he quickly turned his attention to his handler, giving Daedra a look as if almost asking approval. Or, atleast letting her know of his intentions. Really, she was unsure of what to say. She couldn't say anything really, only nodding her head to let him have at it. Without delay, she watched the Brown practically gallop himself over, eyes focused on his prize. Daedra had to give credit as Lau'ren showed no hint of unease, as the massive Brown practically barreled his way over without hint of stopping. Instead, the young rider looked down-right pleased as Drask scouted the massive treat before clamping his giant choppers right into the center. As expected, the wher hoisted it and started awkwardly carrying it elsewhere. Probably somewhere behind Daedra, while Lau'ren and Cedrateth looked utterly amused.

“Ah.... this is really much too kind,” Daedra eventually found her voice, still a bit overcome by shock. However, she would not let that spoil her manners. Stepping closer to Lau'ren, her eyes turned to catch Drask as he happily was inspecting his gift. It was as if the wher couldn't figure where to start. Of course Daedra knew that wouldn't be a problem shortly. She was surprised to see him move closer to Cedrateth a bit. Not quite beside the dragon, but closer than she really ever saw the Brown move towards a dragon of his own personal volition.

“Still, I am really grateful that you thought to give him such a gift,” she said, turning back to Lau'ren. “He doesn't get them often, other than from myself,” she sheepishly admitted.

Lau'ren's expression softened, but still warm and happy. “I can assure you, it is a pleasure to do so,” he said. “I hardly count it a proper exchange though. Still, it is the best I can do, given the brief notice.”

Daedra opened her mouth to once again remind him it was unnecessary. However, she found she did not wish to taint his kind gesture. Though she was sure such things had cost him a hefty sum, one she was unsure how he actually afforded, what he'd said did ring true. A bit of food and some flowers really wasn't an equivalent of his and Cedrateth's safety. Daedra was well-aware Drask could be a difficult sort of wher, but he always seemed to have purpose for his actions, even if they were his own. It was nice to see him get rewarded, even if it was clear he hadn't performed the deed for that reason. The Brown did like incentives...

“I am sad to say, Cedrateth and I should take our leave now,” the rider eventually cut in. Daedra couldn't argue, offering him a nod and a smile. The sun had long set, and she and Drask would have to head to their shift for the evening. “I am still relieved we were able to find you before it was too late! I'd hate to disturb you and Master Drask in daylight hours...”

Daedra let out a chuckle, waving a hand to ease the rider's concern. “Oh, I understand! I'm sure you two must need to be up early for your own drills, too! Please, don't ever worry about coming to see us, if that's what you'd like! Day or night! You can visit us at any hour, it's no trouble! Er...well, I suppose if we're not attending Weyr responsibilites.”

The redhead once again couldn't help but glance over to the large wher. There was already a few bite chunks missing from the leg, and Drask was enjoying himself, licking and chewing at the top of the exposed bone joint. Lau'ren probably couldn't tell, but Daedra knew the Brown was utterly in bliss. As he stood beside the blue dragon, Daedra liked to think they were officially on friendly terms now. This was a good thing, she felt. Daedra would have liked Drask to be more friendly acquainted with dragons. It seemed so hard for him to connect much with them.... but this seemed a promising start.

That and it was hard not to like Lau'ren as well. The two were both so polite and kind and generous~ They were so nice to the two of them. Though so long as they treated Drask well, that was all Daedra really cared about.

“Thank you again, Lau'ren... Cedrateth,” Daedra offered to each. "You two have certainly made our evening."

Oh, what a promising night it would surely be...
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:49 am
  • Link

Too Much

Generally, it seemed common place that when one was thankful towards another, it was polite to express such with words. In many cases, the simple heartfelt gesture (provided it was genuine) would more than suffice. Sometimes, others felt tokens or gifts were better expressions to display their gratitude than a quickly said and soon forgotten string of words. However, it was general expectation that once the exchange was done, there was no need to continue.

Daedra generally felt that way, but she'd quickly found out, that some people …. did not.

The bouquet of flowers and the meat leg had been an utter surprise. They seemed to have a lot of thought and great consideration put towards them. The small handler frankly thought that alone spoke highly towards the bluerider and his dragon. While she'd expressed her own appreciation, on her and Drask's behalf, the redhead had quietly debated on if she expected to follow suit with something. Generally, grand gifts were supposed to be followed by written letter of appreciation from the receiver. Or, so Daedra assumed such from various accounts and books she'd read through. A short but concise letter for Lau'ren to keep (if he wished of course) as physical proof of their good will and newly forming friendship.

That was expected too, she had to imagine. Why shouldn't they turn to out be friends? Afterall, as she'd thought earlier, the small woman was very taken to the idea of Drask having some outside companionship. He didn't seem to get much appreciation in general, unless he was doing something noteworthy. Daedra felt it would be good if there were those outside of the 'expected' tolerance that the wher could mingle with. Why not a dragon and his rider? She was sure it would help Drask's general.... -not understanding or caring much for- dragons attitude that still seemed to be constant and persisting. Plus, it was fortunate that Drask had much more interest in food than he did being stubborn, so she could tell the wher was happily associating the blue dragon to many benefits for himself.

Daedra had intended to get on her letter right away, but found for a number of days 'this and that' kept turning up. For one reason of another, she found she had little time to sit and really compose a nice note for almost an entire week. Before she could even start to worry that she might be making an insult, the handler was greeted once again with a surprise, one late afternoon.

Like before, Lau'ren and Cedrateth managed to just catch them before getting ready for their evening duties. Daedra supposed it probably wasn't hard, considering she had to imagine Drask was easy enough to spot on the open fields of the Weyrbowl. The redhead couldn't say she was unhappy to see them. She did like surprises and friends visiting was certainly one of the best type of them~ However, she found herself a bit taken aback when Lau'ren, once again, came toting a collection of things to offer. With a handsome smile and polite greeting, a bundle of nice fabric was set in her awaiting arms, and for Drask, another meaty treat happily deposited from Cedrateth.

True, the gifts were not as 'lavish' as the first. In fact, Lau'ren made a point of mentioning that he was unsure if Daedra was interested in needlework or sewing at all but thought to give her such things anyway. She could, mostly for repairs, but he was adamant not to take the gifts back. She didn't even try to dissuade Drask, already knowing the brown was having a 'party' with his collection of newly brought snacks. Plus, she found she was very endeared when she noticed the wher even offer some back to Cedrateth. Like his rider, he politely refused, and Daedra found she was unsure what to say, other than the expected thank-you's and casual chit chat. Surely this would prompt her to get her letter written and sent off with a borrow firelizard! Everything would be good and in place and able to move forward!

Except, a week after, it happened again. This time, it was after their night shift and slightly before the morning routines for the riders. Noting a shadow overhead, Drask and Daedra were quickly overtaken by Lau'ren and Cedrateth, once again smiling and polite and barring gifts. Now, Daedra found, she was getting a bit uneasy. While Lau'ren showed no hints of anything unsavory, only his usual flourish of friendliness, the redhead knew that all of this was costing the rider quite a small 'fortune'. She didn't have the heart to ask, as maybe he already had such things or was simply trading... The fact of the matter was, the two of them were just showering them with unwarranted gifts. When the handler brought such a thing up, Cedrateth merely replied that such things 'weighed nothing compared to the act of rescuing them'. It also didn't help that Drask did not share her own sentiment, as the wher had little concept of monetary values and simply liked getting food.

Considering food was given out constantly to everyone in the Weyr, what was different than this instance?

Once again, Daedra held her tongue, but tried very hard to gently push the idea that such things were enough. She felt bad enough with the space her new 'gifts' were starting to take up in her weyr and she made a valiant effort to make them not so obvious to her weyrmate. She saw no problem in the acts, other than she didn't want to encroach on what space should be shared, really....

Then, the fourth week came and also a fourth round of gifts. Daedra was now at ends and had no idea what to do. She'd tried to explain herself numerous times, but Lau'ren and Cedrateth were rather adamant to decline. To them, the debts were still far from payed, and the redhead had no idea what that meant. What did he hope to give until? Daedra knew she expected nothing more from him, and Drask wasn't much taken to repayment either. He was just being a greedy blob. Though, he was hardly helping either.... Now the brown seemed almost eager for an arrival from the bluerider and his bonded. Perking up the moment he heard or got a whiff, and shuffling over for a greeting and a slightly shifting tail.... Daedra was getting overwhelmed.

She was at a loss at what to do. In their private time, she was doing her best to coax the Brown to be a bit more pragmatic towards all this. It was going very slow, but the handler was sure she was planting the seeds of him turning very 'domestic' at coming so eagerly for handouts. As much as Drask adored eating, he was very not taken to that concept. Bonded or not, he was a wild and sufficent wher and was committed to always be such!!

So now, the problem seemed to be what to do concerning Lau'ren. Part of her imagined Cedrateth wasn't the main 'push' concerning the gift exchanges. He certainly wasn't helping or trying to dissuade his rider, though. However, Daedra found it impossible to get herself to confront the man about it. He was always so nice, and smiling, and gentlemanly.... She was sure if she was harsh he's be upset. She didn't like making others upset or disappointing them. Afterall, Lau'ren wasn't technically doing anything wrong. Daedra gave gifts to friends from time to time when able. She gave things to Drask and to her weyrmate and they did the same.

Frankly, she had absolutely no idea what to do. Why was this so hard?
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:26 pm
  • Link

A Sweet Way to Meet

It was only when the horrible screeching noise ended, did Daedra brave to raise her head from the grass. Her pretty little dress was all wrinkled now, covered down the front with a mud streak, from when she tumbled over her shoes. She pushed up on her little arms, peeking over her shoulder. The loud wailed screech had been replaced with a distinct crunching noise, sharp in her ears that dulled with a followed grinding. It sounded like chewing... Daedra hesitantly got to her feet, ignoring her favorite attire being ruined for the day, as her interest was engrossed in the large shape looming upside the hill.

Massive and brown, it almost looked like a mountain of upturned dirt from the hillside, but it was not. Followed by another loud crunch, a long neck arched up, with a face at the end. A wher! The yougn girl had never seen one so big! Atleast, up this close. Any that can traveled with the caravan or lived in Holds were always much smaller looking and brighter colored.

“You're big!”

An obvious statement, as she scurried closer for a better look. Her mother had always told her to be mindful of whers she did not know... and dragons, and dogs, and firelizards, and tunnelsnakes. It was generally pretty easy to tell when one didn't like you, Daedra felt. It wasn't hissing or growling, so this particular wher must have been nice. It barely noticed her at all! Daedra's eyes lit up as she looked over the lumpy bumpy form in full. She found she had to push up onto her very tip toes to try and see over his backside; he was that big!

“Are you by yourself?” she asked, pattering herself around his large body so she could get closer to the front. “Where's your person?”

It was common knowledge that whers could be wild and live among the thick forests and mountains. However, Daedra had never seen one like that before! People said they liked to hide and come out at night. It wasn't night now! Maybe soon, but the sun had yet to set; so that must have meant this wher had a person waiting for them. They had saved her from the mean animal that had tried to eat her.

The wher, in question, did not offer a reply. Even as Daedra patiently waited beside him, smiling and looking up to him expectantly; the wher did not speak a word or utter a thought. Eventually, he did raise his head again. Mouth engorged with a filling bite of meat as he chewed. By chance, he glanced Daedra's way and after seemingly looking her over, he went back to eating his current catch. As if in disinterest. His face was wrinkly and there was a collection of slime dripping from his mouth and nose. There was a particularly musty smell in the area as well, and Daedra had to assume it was from him.

By chance, the small redhead caught a look at what remained of the animal that had chased after her in the flower field. Quickly, she turned her blue eyes away with a grimace. Natural as it was, the sight of butchering was just so.... gruesome. Even if most of it was eaten already. Now that Daedra thought about it, while it had been big and frightening compared to her, the animal looked rather small in comparison to the wher. He was practically picking what was left, so she had to imagine he was still hungry for something so big.

Daedra suddenly started riffling through her pockets, as a thought occurred to her. After some searching, she found what had been alluding her: one of her honey biscuit cookies! A little crumbly but perfectly good! Her mother always reminded her to thank others when something nice was done for her, and to always be polite. After dusting it off, Daedra drew closer and held it out with a smile towards the Brown.

“Do you want one? I was going to have them as a snack, but you can eat them! They're really tasty!”

The wher had intended to ignore the small jabbering thing at his side. It was a human, that he knew, and he also knew that humans brought nothing but trouble. Especially the small ones. While they were small and helpless, like most young and inexperienced things, they made a lot of fuss and that fuss brought lots of humans around. The more humans there were the more problematic things got. Life had taught him that, so he knew it best to simply finish his business and leave the small thing where she was. However... something sweet and sugary caught his nose.

Sniffing deeply, his head turned and immediately focused on the small round.... thing, in the human's palm. The wher was unsure of it, perhaps one of those objects he occasionally saw them exchange. Yet, he caught the distinct scent of.... oh surely it couldn't be.... honey. The Brown loved honey, that sweet golden nectar from the nests of buzzers. So delectable, so lip-smackingly sweet and sticky~

But that thing did not look like honey.... but very rarely did his nose fail him in such matters. Perhaps a taste...just to be sure. To check himself.

The wher turned and regarded the small human in suspicion, though. It was passed the high daylight hours, but it was still bright enough that he had to keep his sight hooded with his brow and lids mindfully. He gazed cautiously for a long moment, before the sickly, sweet smell got the better of him and he hesitantly popped out his green tongue. With a surprisingly fast swipe, the cookie was snatched by his slimy appendage and hurriedly gobbled, even before Daedra could register it was out of her grip.

The moment it hit his mouth, the Brown received confirmation. It was honey! Not sticky somehow but crunchy and tasting similar to the brown loafs humans also had. It was wonderfully tasty, but alas gone too quickly. A mere morsel for one like him.

“Heehee, did you like it? I have some more,” came a light voice, warm and happy. Daedra, having lost her first, had produced the remainder of her snacks and offered them in outstretched hands.

This was the first time the wher properly acknowledged Daedra. He was still hesitant, looking rather distrustful, but now that he'd gotten a taste, he found it very hard to ignore those small sweet little dollops. Once more, after a few moments of mental back and forths if he should, the Brown gave in and accepted the biscuits with a swipe of his tongue. Despite the size, the wher still worked his teeth to crumble them, perhaps to extend the taste of them lingering before they vanished like the melted crumbs they were.

Daedra couldn't help but giggle as she clapped her hands in delight. What a nice wher~

“I'm sorry I don't have any more, Sir Wher,” Daedra frowned. This Brown certainly seemed like a gentleman to her! Just like her storybooks; so refined and strong and brave and nice~. She liked him, so very much. [/b]“Oh, I know! Mama and I have a whole jarful back at the caravan,”[/b] the young girl exclaimed, not bothering to wait for a reply. “If you come back with me, I can let you have them! I'm sure no one will mind; you're so nice!”

This wher didn't seem to talk, so no need to wait for a response! Immediately, Daedra turned and made to go off, fully expecting the Brown to follow. At first, he didn't. The wher kept firm in his place, letting out a snort from his nostrils as he watched the tiny human scurry about. He would not be lured with such a thing. Humans were nothing but trouble, even the small and seemingly harmless one. He had liked the taste of the honey....things, but certainly not enough to risk following after.

He intended to simply be on his way. If the human changed her mind and made to follow, a firm roar would send her off; he was sure. However, out of the corner of his vision, even in the too bright sunlight, he noticed the redhead moving in a certain direction. Towards the downslope to the river. Now, the Brown was well aware of this 'caravan' she spoke of. Of the carts and the runners and the collection of too many humans in one area. He made sure to know of it, and to avoid such dangers. Sure, there was food there. He knew that long before this human mentioned it, but none of it was worth the trouble. As such, he knew exactly where its border was, and the tiny human was not going in that direction.

Daedra skipped and bounced among the stones in the hill, completely oblivious as she hummed and went on her way. Stepping upon a big stone, she hopped off, intending to land in the soft grass below, but found herself suddenly dangling in midair. She froze, feeling a tug at the back of her dress and feeling a too hot burst of air at her neck. She was swung about, her legs shifting weightlessly as she was turned in a new direction and set down. When she turned, she saw her wher-friend suddenly there, almost looking annoyed as he stared down at her.

“What's wrong?”

The wher said nothing again, but jerked his massive head with a grunt. Daedra blinked and followed the direction he gestured. It was the path to the main dirt road. Oh! That's where she'd come from the caravan.

“Ah! C'mon, Sir Wher! It's this way—let's go!”

Without warning, Daedra hurried off again, atleast on the right path this time. The wher stood and pondered a moment. To him, this seemed the best time to simply turn and be on his own way, probably much farther off than this caravan. However, part of him started to realize... if she did not notice him, she might come back.

If she came back, she'd probably get lost.

If she got lost... the other humans would come looking.

If the others humans looked and made to find him specifically---

The Brown jerked his head unhappily. He did not like this. This was all a terribly bad situation that was getting worse with each moment. He should have just taken his prey and left the moment he noticed a human in the area. He should have roared and scared her off and took his leave! He should have---

“Sir Wher!! Come on, this way!! I promise everyone will be nice!”

The redhead youngling was back, and she put her hand on his side. His first reaction was to tense up; he made to turn and snap at her. That was too close—too intimate! However, when he loomed down at her, she was staring at him with such big wide blue eyes. Happy colored eyes, and smiling. Her hand was very small, but it was soft and warm on his rough, leather-like skin.

“You don' t even have to come close. I'll look after you, I promise! This way—I'll get you something nice for saving me!”

Once again, she hurried off and after a few moments of stillness, the Brown took a step to follow.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:02 pm
  • Link

Mild Concern

*Occurs during winter of 2774 (food shortages at HR)
--------------------------------

It was cold. A given, as it was winter in High Reaches, but to her, this year had felt the coldest in turns. They had yet to receive the overabundant snowfalls like the last, but sometimes, snow was far from the most frigid thing. Whatever the reason, Daedra could not pin it directly. Though, the constant looming dread of the entire Weyr running short on its supply of food wasn't helping at all.

Even now, Daedra knew she should be spending her time eating her meal. Today - dry tact biscuits and other preserves of fruit and a lone boiled egg. Having once been neatly wrapped in a parchment and handed out as the day's rationing, it almost looked a pretty picture in her lap. The covering spread open like the petals of a flower, offering a neatly nutritious (if lacking in actual taste) center; it was a welcome bounty for the lone hungry and weary. Daedra, unfortunately... was not hungry.

However, the sensible part of her knew she had little choice. It had taken a lot of work and effort to get things dolled out as they had been. The handler also didn't have the luxury to turn it away. She could not be so thoughtless and selfish in spite of things, so she would be sure to eat every scrap and crumb when the time came. Thankfully, there was no unsaid rule about how fast she had to eat, so she would enjoy her time to sit quietly.

Sitting out over the weyrbowl, Daedra rested her back against Drask, as he dosed on the frozen remnants of the summer grass. He was a nice boon of warmth in the cool air, and he surprisingly never seemed bothered by the cold. Perhaps some part of him even liked the winter months, the sunlight not so strong and bright, allowing him more time to hunt and gather. They'd been doing that a lot these days; its all they seemed good for really. Ah~ That was quite harsh, Daedra silently chided herself with. Perhaps the colder seasons did that to her at times, too. All things considered, she was pretty proud of her bonded. He made no fuss and worked hard despite the sudden drop in his meal amounts. The handler supposed it was not new to him.

No matter how Drask could adapt to comforts quickly, he was not a wher to let himself forget how fast it could change. The redhead really appreciated him for that. She was unsure how the two of them would be fairing if she'd bonded to a wher of different circumstance.

“My Lady! And, my Good Wher, what a pleasant surprise to see you!” came a distant voice.

Immediately, Drask raised his head and turned towards the newcomer, who was no surprise – him or his dragon. Both he and Daedra were very aware. Daedra got to her feet, taking care not to spill her 'lunch' and turned to watch as Cedrateth touched down a safe distance away. She smiled and waved in greeting, though it was not as exuberant as normal, and even Drask stood up on his front legs, offering a whuff in greeting.

“Ah~ Hello, Lau'ren, and to you as well Cedrateth. Off to drill practice?”

It really wasn't a surprise, not that Daedra or Drask minded. The Blue pair were very sociable and seemed to be keeping in high spirits, all things considered. Though, the redhead found it sometimes seemed 'too convenient' how they seemed to be around so often. Almost like they took any excuse to send time with the two. Oh well, it wasn't like she or Drask would chase them off. Afterall, any individuals that she took note of that the wher actually enjoyed spending time with, Daedra planned to keep them close. She wanted Drask to have lots of friends.

No, we are actually finished with personal errands for the time being. Lau'ren and I wished to speak with those in charge of mentorships. We'd like to offer our services in any way that High Reaches needed.

“Uwaah~ How wonderful! You wish to be mentors for one of the future weyrlings?” she asked, mood perking up at the prospect.

Lau'ren couldn't help it as his chest puffed slightly, his cheeks pinkening from her praise. Daedra was very excitable and it was always nice to tell her good news. Even little things, she seemed to boast their importance of; it was rather nice.

“Yes,” Lau'ren amended, toning himself down from the momentary high. “-though we haven't been approved yet, nor assigned someone. There is still a possibility that no one will wish to have us mentor them, but if they do, Cedrateth and I are happy to be of service.”

Lau'ren and I hope we will be of more use in that regard compared to our hunting fiascoes.

The rider visibly winced from the reminder. Despite their best attempts, it simply seemed he and the Blue were not cut out for the ruthlessness of the wilds. Being Hold and Weyr lived for so long, they simply didn't have that edge or skill that seemed to come naturally to say... Daedra and Drask. The two of them seemed so at ease among the forests and brush, knowing where to look and where to go to get food. Lau'ren was simply overwhelmed the moment he stepped beyond the borders, and Cedrateth was no better... being a dragon and having little survival instinct passed aiding his rider.

“Once again, you and Brown Drask always seem to save us from disaster, My Lady. I am unsure what our standing in the Weyr would be, had you not offered us your bounties numerous times. We're both endlessly in your debt!”

Daedra suspected that was one reason Lau'ren seemed to constantly be around during their free times. Not to attain gains further, of course, but she suspected he was always on the look out for ways to 'repay' them. The Blue and his rider were terribly obsessed with repayments, but as High Reaches was so tight currently... gifts and such things were simply out of the question. Frankly, this suited Daedra better, and Drask too, surprisingly. The Brown lifted his head and whuffed a friendly response to the two. Daedra liked spending time with others, well over being showered in gifts.

She hated feeling lonely.

The redhead must have paused in her thoughts for a moment too long, as she noticed Lau'ren tilting a curious but semi-concerned look her way. “Is everything all right, My Lady? You seem to have a spell of melancholy about you. Surely I am mistaken on that, I hope.”

“Oh! It's nothing so serious,” Daedra assured, a bit too quickly as she waved him off with one of her hands. “I think things overall are simply wearing down on everyone!” However, Daedra did not get to worm out of the conversation so easily. There was an audible snort beside her, and when she turned to look, the handler was greeted with a rather pointed gaze from Drask.

Of course, she could hide almost nothing from him. He'd been feeling the awkward shift of emotions in her chest over the weeks. However, the Brown knew he was not equipped to handle such things. He always served better as a helpful ear and an enforcer when a push was needed. A comforting presence to hug...but that didn't always fix things in the right away.

Drask aside, when Daedra turned her gaze again, she felt her willpower crumbling as two more sets of eyes were on her now. Looking quite concerned and almost expectant. The redhead knew she couldn't stammer herself out of this, even if she wished to try. Yet another are to fail in...

“Well.... I suppose I haven't felt as... upbeat as I normally do, as of late,” the redhead eventually gave in. Letting out a sigh, she awkwardly leaned back against the massive Brown wher behind her. “I hate to say... but I've been feeling a bit hopeless recently.”

“And what would make you feel in such a way? Please, My Lady, do not give in so easily to how things are now! They will certainly improve; usually you see such things before anyone else here.” Lau'ren asked, quite earnestly as he stepped forward. “Has someone spoken to you? Put you in such a sort with their actions or words? Give me their name and I will see to them!”

Lau'ren was getting himself worked up for nothing. Cedrateth noticed that right off, as well as Daedra's sudden nervous and uneasy stare. Perhaps this required something smoothing.

I am sure that will be unnecessary, My Rider. You are getting yourself worked up. Please allow Lady Daedra to explain herself before you act so.

“Th-Thank you, Cedrateth,” Daedra let out a sighed breath. “I-It's nothing like that...”

Granted, she and Drask had been reprimanded a number of times. For not filling an expected quota asked of them, but Daedra didn't have the heart to tell Lau'ren that. Who knew how he'd react if he discovered that her and Drask giving food to them was causing issue. Ad really, that wasn't what was bothering her. Not really.

“I suppose I just... find myself a bit overwhelmed with things,” the petite woman admitted, awkwardly fiddling with her rations. That she still hadn't touched yet. “If I'm honest, sometimes I almost dread returning to our weyr after a long day. I... sometimes feel I have no where to go.”

Drask let out a huff, though not angrily. If anything, it sounded almost sympathetic... understanding. Granted, he did understand in some fashion. Daedra's thoughts and emotions were always open to him. However, most others were not so lucky.

“Oh... do you mean with your weyrmate? Familial trouble?” the bluerider asked, sympathetic. He had to imagine many couples and families were feeling pressure with all that was happening. It was natural.

“No,” she said, right away and without pause. “-not really. He's wonderful.... it's just--- I haven't gotten to see much of him lately. With the food shortage, he'd working a lot in the storage rooms much of the time. Even though he's not Weyrleader anymore, he still feels he has to help anyway he can. Plus, with the extra hours out Drask and I have to take to gather, I never seem to catch him free. Nor can I visit.”

Daedra knew she couldn't be so selfish. Going to see him would be selfish of her, and he'd probably get mad. Daedra didn't want to make more work for him; he always had too much. Plus, he and Drask still seemed awkward, and frankly with all the extra hustle the wher was putting in to get lots of food, she hated the idea he'd have go back to such a setting. With a nervous weyrmate and firelizards bouncing around and reflecting off that. Drask being unhappy thus it made her unhappy. This was all so terribly sticky right now...

“I know this really shouldn't bother me, but I can't help but feel his family members still dislike me so. I've pretty sure three of them despise me terribly, and the one that does like me... has a slightly strained relationship with his brother. Even still.... they mean so much to him, but I can't help but feel that nothing I do or try will matter. That Drask and I aren't good enough... we'll never be good enough. Maybe.... we really aren't.”

Daedra hadn't meant to let such things spill from her, but like a dam, the deluge was hard to stop when it overflowed. The redhead generally tried to be upbeat when she could, but she had no illusions of her faults. She was small, she wasn't very pretty or refined, she didn't have any impressive or useful talents. Her only saving grace was being bonded to Drask. He pulled all the weight really, and sometimes it did sadden her that some people would look at him and not find him as important or wonderful as say... a dragon.

Lau'ren and Cedrateth found themselves unsure of what to say to that. Not that they didn't understand or sympathize, but goodness, they hadn't quite expected that. It was almost uncharacteristic to see Daedra speak of such things... to know she felt such things. She was always so perky and happy and smiling. It was very jarring. Drask, however, was not as stunned. Instead, he jerked and made a very deliberated sound, jerking his head at his handler, in hopes of snapping her out of her gloom.

Drask didn't care what others thought of him. He knew himself and how to survive. He was strong and able, and could survive whatever natural hardships came his way. The wher would do so out of sheer stubbornness if he had to! He didn't care who thought him 'unworthy' or whatever useless things, just because of what he was or his color. They meant nothing to him, and he knew such things shouldn't matter to his handler. He knew Daedra worthy and capable, and any that thought otherwise could be gone from them!

Please do not let such thoughts cloud your mind, Lady Daedra. Drask is right; do not let the judgments of others force you to doubt yourselves. They have no say or place to do so.

As blood relatives to her weyrmate, Daedra was pretty sure they did. Xander would keep to his own opinions of course, but she couldn't bare the fact if she turned out to be the reason a rift was made between him and his siblings or opposite. However, she wasn't going to speak up on that or other such grievances. Not when her companions were trying so hard to lighten her mood. The attempts alone were easing the small pains in her heart. Certainly enough that it was easy for her to work a smile again.

“The three of you are all far too kind to me.”

“Nonsense, My Lady,” Lau'ren cut-in, but was happy to see her beaming more normally now. “I wish we could offer you a more resolute solution for your problems. I fear this will have to be something you confront on your own. It is not my place to tell you who is wrong or who is right. However, please know that Cedrateth and I think you truly wonderful. You and Drask are invaluable friends and companions to us. I hope you know that you may always come to us to ease your troubles, without worry or judgment.”

Lau'ren was tempted to push back against these individuals that made her feel so poorly of herself. Yet, he knew little of them, of this situation. Clearly, these people's opinion did hold some sway for Daedra, even if he wished them not to. He hated to admit, but he too suspected they would not be swayed in any fashion. This was not something he felt he could dive in to help her with. Like with hunting, he was powerless in this matter and far too unequipped.

“Thank you, Lau'ren! I really do feel much better, knowing that you and Cedrateth are looking out for us. I promise I won't let myself get so dreary as I have,” Daedra replied with a smile, bright and happy. The Bluepair was just so nice to them....

"I suppose I should take to eating my meal finally," Daedra amended. She still had no appetite for it, but it couldn't be allowed to go to waste.

"Yes, you should," Lau'ren replied, a bit more firmness in his tone than usual. Only to unsure the handler got the point. "I suppose Cedrateth and I will take our leave of you. As always, it is a wonderful pleasure to come across you and Drask when we are able!"

With a few more pleasantries exchanged, Lau'ren worked himself into his seat upon the Blue's back. As quickly as they arrived, they were off. Daedra and the wher watched them disappear, who knew off to where. The redhead let her eyes linger on the clouds for a bit longer, only shaking from her daydreaming when Drask grumbled at her.

Of course she knew why, and laughed awkwardly. "All right, I'm sorry! I promise I'll eat my rations now! I promise!"
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:14 am
  • Link

Wanted Visitor
----

Daedra let out a tired sigh as she awkwardly pulled the fastening on her waist straps free. What a bothersome evening, but atleast she could return back to her weyr for some peace. Drask seconded that thought, and as his handler, she could tell that by the particular gait he had in his walk. Not quick, but certainly enough that he could overtake her with little effort, setting his goal in focus and aiming straight for it. No doubt he was already anticipating curling up in his blanket cocoon and not being disturbed until the moons passed 'round again.

That really did sound nice.

Just as they reached the door, Daedra paused, not even getting her hand to rest on the handle. She'd heard something from inside. Drask noticed too, immediately going on alert as he swooped in and stared with purpose at the entryway. The redhead paused uneasily. No one should have been in there, and right when she intended to laugh it off as her imagination, the noise sprang out again. A shuffling scratching sound, like little claws scurrying about the floor and furniture.... followed by a particular loud crash of something shattering on the floor. Without thinking, Daedra threw open the door and rushed in, practically almost getting bulldozed by Drask.

The petite woman froze at the scene before her. Sheets and clothing strewn all about, her precious books carelessly tossed to the floor with their pages crumpled, with everything else violently knocked off the shelves and counters. The entire space was an utter mess, and she knew neither she nor Drask had left it in such a state. Daedra could only look around in shock and disbelief, her mind trying to piece what had happened. Had someone broke in? Did they try to steal something? What could she possibly have that was worth all this needless destruction?

Daedra was pulled from her flabbergasted state when she heard Drask let out an exceptionally threatening growl. The redhead turned to him, seeing his teeth in full display as he crouched down in a stalk. This was not his hunting stance or even a warning one; the wher was mad. Someone had come uninvited into their designated space, and the Brown was not having any of it, and it seemed he'd found the culprit, too. Daedra slowly followed his line of vision, steadily ghosting over the room until she rested her eyes on the main desk at the far back. They widened in shock at the sight. The intruder was not a person, as she'd first assumed...

The particular shimmer was unmistakable, despite the miniscule amount of light. Gold and glittering, a small lithe body covered in intricate ornament designs, with a pair of wings daintily folded and a long tail lazily swishing behind. A firelizard casually sat up on the rumbled clothcover of the desk, looking ever so regal and ever so lovely. There was no fear in her stance (Daedra had to assume it was a 'her'), nor was it hinted from the color of her segmented eyes. The flit merely sat there, though at some point she had realized she was being watched by the new occupants in the room. The Gold turned her head and was watching Daedra and Drask, with an almost aloof gaze.

Strange enough as this was, Daedra, for the life of her, could not recognize this particular flit. Golds weren't terribly common, and they tended to stand out in a way that one usually recognized them after one meeting. Daedra also had to assume this flit had an owner, as a wild gold visiting a Weyr seemed almost... outlandish. She also seemed too poised and tame to be feral.

Drask suddenly growled again and started moving closer. Firelizard or not, this thing had intruded his living space and he intended to make it pay. That or get it to go and never return as warning! Once Daedra noticed, she stepped ahead and made the wher pause with a touch of her hand. Regardless of the mess, which was clearly caused by their 'visitor', the redhead wasn't going to let him maim the poor thing. Firelizards were mischievous and naughty at times, but very rarely malicious.... thus hardly deserving such a cruel end.

“Where did you come from? Did you get lost, little friend?” Daedra smiled good-naturedly as she cautiously stepped closer and closer, overtaking Drask in the forefront. The handler outstretched a hand slowly, intending to get hold of the small creature. “Come now, you don't belong here. Let's get you back to your owner! No harm done.”

As she got close enough, Daedra then noticed the firelizard seemed to be holding something in her little mitts. She couldn't make it out, but it seemed to have a limp quality to it, perhaps like folded fabric. Though, she did noticed it was neatly secured with something... a bow? Was it a present?

The Gold shifted in alert suddenly, as if having noticed Daedra coming close. She arched up a bit, before leaning in as if for a better look at the human drawing her way. As before, the flit didn't seem scared or nervous at all, even with the presence of a ferocious Brown wher looming at the back and growling. She went still, watching and seemed to almost be determining something in her little head through her lovely faceted eyes. Daedra went still when she saw this and blinked in confusion. What a funny little flit...

The firelizard suddenly leaped forward and lunged at her without warning! Daedra barely had time to react, recoiling back and putting her hands up in hopes of defending herself. The firelizard scrambled and scurried all over her body, over her shoulders and through her red hair. Sharp little claws scraping at her skin as the young woman yelped and tried to keep them from her eyes and face. Drask exploded in reaction, lunging as well but found himself unable to do anything. He yowled and snapped his teeth, awkwardly shifting around his handler. Tempting as it was to snatch the miserable beast from his person, he took too much risk of actually hurting Daedra himself if he tried to do so. For a few long terrible moments, Daedra desperately tried to move and push the Gold away from her person. The shimmering lizard didn't seem to actually be biting or much ease, but Daedra swore she felt something loosen in her hair.

And then.... she was gone. Like a puff of smoke, the firelizard had vanished between without a trace.

Hesitantly, Daedra lowered her shielding arms, and peeked around. The Gold flit was nowhere to be seen, only herself now and Drask in their trashed weyr. Regardless, the wher immediately started tromping about the confined space, as if scouring and hunting for any lingering traces. No doubt if Drask ever caught hint of the little critter again, he'd not let her escape so easily. Daedra, meanwhile, tried to calm herself and get her head straight after the incident. With a shaky breath, the young woman felt at her cheeks for damage. No bites but she could feel some light stinging scratches. It was then she noticed how one side of her hair hung loose. One of her ribbons was gone-- stolen no doubt. It was no where nearby.

What a strange and unfortunate thing....

Drask, in his prowl about the room, noticed something on the stone floor amidst the mess and knocked over items. It was not Daedra's hair ribbon, but the little package the flit had originally been holding. The Brown snarled and made to gobble it whole! Tear it to shreds and ruin it in stead of its sneaky owner! Hardly a sufficient exchange but he would take what petty revenge he could! Jaws open wide, he made to slam his fangs down to the helpless little bundle. Merely centimeters before his pearly whites would even moisten it with saliva, Drask paused, and then he froze completely.

A scent reached his large nostrils. It was one he recognized, very intimately.... and it was not from the firelizard.

Daedra had just finished checking her hair for any other issue, when the wher's sudden commotion drew her attention. Looking over, she saw the Brown gesturing to her in earnest, whuffing and jerking his head as if to draw her presence to where he was. It was then she saw Drask was moving his snoot down towards the discarded bundle. Desperate for her to see.

“What's wrong, Drask? Is it dangerous?” she asked cautiously, making her way over.

She doubted it was after a moment. Drask was acting strangely but... he wasn't upset like he was moments ago. He had a mix of emotions in fact, and it was hard for her to pinpoint one exactly before another shifted in atop. Daedra's brows knit together as she knelt down to pick up the little thing. As she thought, the item was mostly fabric, soft and nice feeling against her fingers, still fastened with a shiny dark colored ribbon. Drask stilled himself and watched intently as his handler pull the bow to open it.

It seemed to be a large square of fabric once it was stretched out, having been folded up for the Gold flit to carry easily. It was warm pink in color, a shade reminding her of the small flowers on the mountain hills in spring. Her eyes widened as she got a good look at the fabric square. It was a handkerchief with collections of embroidery covering the insides. Textures and shapes of vibrant colored strings, making flowers and beautiful designs that all wove together in magnificent patterns. A lovingly crafted work of art really.... It was strange.... Daedra was sure she had never seen this item before, but it looked so familiar is a sense and...

When she got to one corner, Daedra's eyes widened as she saw her name lovingly stitched near the one edge. The young woman immediately recognized it, despite not being actually written; it was a penmanship mark in its own fashion. This was work she knew and had looked at many times in her youth... of handmade socks and gloves and repaired sleeves.

Her mother's stitching.

Daedra had forgotten somewhat. Her Nameday had not been that long passed. The redhead could feel her eyes swell and sting as tears filled them. Clutching the gift to her chest, Daedra choked back a relieved sob. What a relief. Though still far apart, her mother was seemingly doing well enough out in the wilds of the world, and still thought of her despite the time missing between them. Daedra found she hardly cared for the mess in the weyr now. The firelizard was an unknown, but clearly her parent was not as 'alone' as she thought her to be. Her mother clearly had a companion now, though she had little fathom of how she and Drask had been found. It hardly mattered though.

A mess to clean was more than worth the realization of all this. And the relief Daedra suddenly felt in her heart. The gift was wonderful and would be cherished, but not as much as the knowledge of her mother's well being.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:03 pm
  • Link

Note: Next few are a series that go together; just things I've personally wanted to do or were inspired to try writing. They're AU/Not Real by default, so don't pay them mind. Also you can guess what they entail by the end of this piece so if that's not your thing, skip/don't read.
-------

First Time Frustrations

Daedra scowled as she tried for the sixth time to get the rigging correct on her straps. Everything had just been going sour that day and it only seemed to be adding with each passing candlemark. When the leather tongue of the belt simply refused to go through the buckle, she tossed it across her workspace with an audible huff. The heavy metal bits clattered loudly as they skimmed across, alerting Drask to raise his head and check on the situation.

Personally, he'd been minding himself to avoid adding any fuel to the fire of the situation. He was very aware his handler had been in less than a stellar head-space since she awoke. Not that an angry Daedra was particularly problematic or threatening. Drask was a reasonable wher, and a bad start to the day was not unknown for even him, time to time. He had plenty of evenings where he woke up stiff and uninterested and sometimes just outright grouchy. More than his standard amount, anyway. Even if it was highly unusual for Daedra to be going through the ropes of that, she was just as entitled to them as he was. Sometimes one just needed a set bit of time to blow off the built up steam. Drask did find it very suspicious, however, for there not to be a direct correlation for his handler's current mood, atleast from what he could sense. His small handler was a very 'reactive' type of person; she generally responded as one expected her to in a given circumstance.

Daedra cried when she was sad, smiled when pleased and all other emotions nestled inbetween. From what he could tell though, the woman had no reason for her current foul mood. Atleast nothing he was aware of...

Daedra, meanwhile, leaned back in her chair, resigning to a small break to try and get herself focused again. Weary hands rubbed at her face and eyes, feeling an unpleasant soreness behind her lids. She was absolutely drained and tired, and she hadn't even started her responsibilities yet. Well, she'd been awake for a bit, but her and Drask were due for their shifts soon. Normally she enjoyed having work to do, but currently she just wanted to curl in her bed for a long, undisturbed nap. The redhead was mildly aware something was wrong... atleast in the sense that this was not a norm for her, but was unable to pinpoint it. Perhaps just the onset of a seasonal illness coming on. She tended to get a funny head and the sniffles once the cold set in.

Bothersome, but not the end of the world. It would explain the weariness, despite the proper rest she'd gotten, and why she barely had an appetite for breakfast. A lot of things were pointing to just being under the weather.... other than the slippery fingers she was having.

Daedra turned her gaze down at the thought, to the tiny hands resting on the flat surface of the table. She gave them a flex, as if testing how well they worked. They didn't feel sore or in pain, but she'd been dropping everything if she wasn't mindful to hold it extra secure. The handler knew herself to have a bit of clumsiness from time to time, but she wasn't this notorious about it. Daedra let out a defeated sigh and reached across for the straps again. She had her moment.... now back to her duty. Thankfully, after only three fidgets, the straps slipped to how they should be. Pushing up from her seat, Daedra stood up to get herself properly buckled in.

Only to find that she couldn't close the buckle around her middle.

“I don't believe this!” she growled in frustration, pulling and tugging the strap to tighten it around her.

Of course, she -could- get the belt to shut if she adjusted the closure, but for some reason, it was far too tight on the normal hole the metal post would go through. For whatever reason, she could not close it on the hole she had always slipped it through to have it comfortably fit. Daedra, far too annoyed and frustrated to do the reasonably thing and just going to the next hole, pulled and fought to get the strap closed in the normal fashion. Sucking in her stomach, she just barely got it, only to find it far to tight and painful as she could barely breath. Popping it open, the redhead let out a deep breath, letting out all the air she'd sucked in and drooped slightly in defeat. She was not going to acknowledge the very obvious reason of why her strap was probably not fitting---

Drask, however, chose to do it instead.

The wher let out a series of amused sounding whuffs and garbles, to garner the handler's attention. When she turned to him, the Brown was up on his haunches, facing her with an almost teasing and smug looking mug on his floppy face. When Drask saw she was watching, he started to chomp his jaw together, as if mimicking the gesture of sloppy eating. Of greedy gobbling that was far more expected for him to do than her.

He was basically saying she'd been eating too much. Quite the instance of the kettle mocking the cooking pot. Afterall, Daedra poked at his habits from time to time, this was something they just did within limits, afterall. The usual day to day fun. Except...

“STOP LAUGHING--IT'S NOT FUNNY!” she exploded in an uncharacteristic shout. A strange and sudden rage had surfaced from her very core, and she hadn't bothered to hold it back. She couldn't respond quick enough to hold it back.

The shift was enough to even get Drask to immediately stop, his demeanor going still as he obeyed and went silent. She hadn't willed the action on him, like a command. The surprised of it was enough, and he could feel the maelstrom of conflicting emotions bubbling within her now. This was very... different.

Quickly enough, Daedra realized what she'd done. Her eyes widened in horror as she quickly covered her mouth with her hands, her quick flared anger melting instantly to shame and embarrassment. She never snapped at Drask for such things, but she knew that as no excuse.

“I---I'm sorry, Drask,” she quietly piped up once her hands lowered. With the anger gone, now she felt so terrible that she wanted to cry. In fact, she very well might with how her eyes were starting to sting. Daedra fought the impulse though, as best she could, despite the unpleasant flipping happening in her stomach. Her brain seemed to be jumping from one thought to the next, as if fueled by her shifting emotions or perhaps being the instigator of it. She was unsure, and it was frightening her a bit.

Drask stepped closer and puffed a breath at her in concern. He could feel all the strange emotional shifts through their bond, and he found himself a bit worried. As a wher, he didn't understand a lot of the facets of humans, just as there were some things Daedra would never understand with him. However, he could tell something about what she was feeling now was just... not correct. Though he was unsure on what to do or respond, other than what he could offer now. Companionship and support.

“I-I'm all right, Drask,” Daedra assured to the Brown, when she noticed him drawing closer. It wasn't very convincing, even as she tried to smile for him. “It's... it's just the change of the season, I bet. Maybe I just don't want to go outside. It's all right though! Let's just.... finish getting ready.”

She really didn't want to go to work, for once. She wanted to stay inside, and Drask knew that too. However, as neither of them had valid reason to miss their shift, they would simply have to carry on. Though, Daedra would atleast commit to checking in with the infirmary once finished for the evening. Surely they had some teas or things to perk her up. That would be fine, she told herself. Perhaps if they said so, she could ask for an evening or two off. Let herself do nothing but recoup and relax.

It would be fine and everything could go on like normal.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:08 am
  • Link

Note: They're AU/Not Real by default, so don't pay them mind. It's just things I want to write and explore. TW//pregnancy
-------

First Time Frustrations: Part 2

So, it had happened.

Drask had been curious if it ever would, knowing how his handler could be. Frankly, he could never tell such things, where humans were concerned. They didn't always do things by natural dictation, not like whers did. Or even firelizards or dragons. All creatures had great varieties and differences in how they lived and functioned, of course, but certain things just seemed... the status quo across the board. And yet... humans generally seemed the mostly singular ones to simply break that mold, and mainly on their own mere whims.

Regardless, it seemed Daedra had decided she was finally going to have a clutch of eggs for herself. Apparently. Or rather.... that other way to reproduce, that did not concern flights and runs and eggshells. Drask really didn't understand his handler's sudden decision for the time to be now of all things, mostly because the choice seemed so.... spontaneous, if he had to describe it. If it actually was a 'decision' for that matter, compared to a biological instinct. For one, the season didn't seem optimal, though the Brown would admit to being a bit foggy on the actual 'beneficial timing' for people to populate. The wher would assume warmer to be better suited for them, but humans seemed to thrive no matter what. Even if he couldn't fathom the actual reasoning she had, Drask would be polite and not make comment on the redhead's choice. Of both timing and run-partner. Or even her apparent lack of a 'proper' run, for the deed.

Once again, humans simply being weird in their choices of things....Too much fluff and bother, as far as it concerned him!

Drask was absolutely no stranger to the whole reproductive concept, though. He'd had his share of chases, won a good number in past turns; complete with the whole affair of wherlet-raising, to boot. Thinking only slightly further back, he was surprised he hadn't realized the subtle changes in Daedra's behavior at the time. Normally, he tried to keep track of such minute things around him: changes in the air, actions out of sort – that general thing. Daedra was very reliable in her responses and general habits, so even a tiny shift in them should have come to the forefront of his daily observations. A blunder on his part; real sloppiness and he would accept that fault. Drask also committed to be much better about it, too. Anything unusual or different from then on, he would keep keenly aware of. That was the wher's job afterall: to be the observant one, the Brown reasoned to himself.

Still, he'd never bothered to pay much attention to how humans, in particular, went about in these matters before. It seemed he would learn soon though, whether he really wanted or not. Daedra was especially clear on that. Afterall, perhaps this was simply signs of future things to come, Drask reasoned. Humans were perhaps just.... slow about these things, and now the time had come for his own handler to just be 'regular' about it. The very thought seemed like a terrible inconvenience for the both of them... but such was nature at times. Life was simply made to progress at its own pace. Those walking through it, only had so much say in it. Drask could not summon the moonlight or the rain as he wished it, and so it seemed a similar matter for this issue.

Atleast, that was how the Brown initially thought this would be. Daedra simply going about her way, while he moseyed along with little needed input. Whers and their handlers were quite different, afterall. He fully intended to offer his usual support and presence, as always, but anticipated this to be all very procedural.

So, despite his own assumptions and past experiences, Drask soon enough found himself taken aback at the sheer amount of... discomfort just lingering about as time progressed. It wasn't a complete shock for the wher though, as the Brown had usually offered his own companionship to clutchmothers he'd caught in the past. Only staying until they deemed him unneeded, of course. Some were very content to be rid of the other half of the equation once business was taken care of. To properly focus on their next set of tasks – alone and with no chance of being disturbed to break their focus. Wanting very little distraction from 'outside help' or 'company'. Drask never took offense from it when sent away, as that was just a standard sometimes.

He and Daedra couldn't simply 'split' as easily though. A strange matter indeed, if he were honest. As much as they could attempt to shield the other, it would be nigh impossible for everything to be blocked away. Not that it bothered him. Not really.

The wher would admit that he'd experienced some of the sensations from his clutchpartners on occasion. Obviously only what the other wher-parent had intended to send his way, and usually it had always been for a specific reason. Almost muted in some fashion, but nothing compared to the sudden flood of strange things he was picking up from Daedra. That made sense to him, though, as Drask hadn't officially bonded to other whers for the long term; not in the way he was to his small handler. With that, Daedra was also not as skilled at blocking herself like he could, on the rare occasion he chose to do so. She was making a full effort to try in this matter specifically, and he could tell. But, Drask had to imagine it was getting a bit too much for her to juggle things. The wher had to admit though... he was rather surprised by the sheet amount of.... everything that seemed packaged with what was going on.

Things were very minor in the beginning, nothing to even ponder over, the wher felt. Emotional shifts, mild illness... nothing either of them had not experienced before, in some fashion. Drask might have grown concerned for how extended the duration of it all lasted, had it not been made clear that this was 'common'. Things seemed to come in shifts... 'segments' as it were. Even stranger to him, was when he started noticing physical changes in his handler's appearance. Dragons and whers got a bit... fuller when eggs were expected to be laid, surely, but the appearance the normally petite woman was undergoing was... rather extreme, in his opinion. Not that he would or could laugh at her. Such things were not in her control and she simply had to progress. However, it all just seemed so... inefficient, to him. Especially when it had been explained to the wher, how all this fuss and hubbub would be for effectively - one 'whelp'.

Not a dozen, not a handful, not even a couple.... just one. That seemed utterly implausible to Drask. Small clucthes were had by dragonkin plenty of times before but... Only one for her? And no shell? No proper protection other than what Daedra could provide, which was basically just herself?

It was astounding to the Brown when he realized these things; that humans practically dominated the lands and weyrs as they did despite it. Doing things in clearly inefficient ways, just as they always did without fail. The only consolation the wher could find, was that humans just simply had little to no control over themselves in those matters. Just as dragons and whers certainly couldn't reproduce differently if they wished to, but why would they even want to, Drask affirmed.

Everything was progressively making him far for reflective on things, than he initially imagined he would be.

Especially as the months dragged painfully on. Far, far longer than it took with chasing, and laying, and even the eggs hatching all combined! Daedra and him were also pulled from duties, but strangely, much sooner in the process than he thought they would have been. No more drill practices, no outside foraging, nothing labor-intensive. Daedra was not even permitted to ride on his back even when he offered, or so she explained. Anything 'useful' she could do for the Weyr was limited to what she could do sitting basically. Or not 'straining', whatever that was described as. Drask supposed that was a good thing overall, considering his handler could barely keep her eyes open most times since it all started.

Now, Drask knew what it felt like to be exhausted, to have nothing left after a long expanse of intense activity or work. Generally, taking a break and some proper rest was all it took to keep it at bay. Yet, his handler seemed to be feeling that at stretches, for hours to days at a time, without respite. Drask was utterly baffled, as he would not toss it up to laziness or even faking on her part. Daedra was someone who usually puttered around, constantly looking for things to occupy herself with. As it were, without barely doing a thing but awakening for the start of the day, she was practically spent from just that. The wher could quite feel it; the ever lingering weariness looming over her like a shadow, and the utter lack of ability to catch up from it. The excessive heaviness of the body, of feeling so full and bloated and stretched so thin that sometimes, he thought his own flesh my tear if he moved too suddenly.

Drask could only equate it similarly to a feeling of being too engorged from a meal... but even that was still not right. Some times he awoke from the shared sensations between them, of a sore tenderness in the joints and a dragging weight at the lower part of his back, close to the hip bones. Like heavy stones were fastened there and he was made to lug them about. As if everything could fall to the floor with one false step, yet there was nothing physically from himself to drop... It was bothersome and tiring and frustrating. Drask found he just wanted this to be over rather soon, for the both of them. It was annoying for him, but he couldn't imagine how Daedra was holding up to the strain of it. He knew her to be very small and normally very meek in terms of physical capability. Her spirit and heart were very impressive, but those didn't necessarily get one through chores and feats of needed strength.

Frankly, the whole affair got his mind to wander at times, especially as the weeks piled to multiple months. With the quiet growing forming, and the lack of work to be done lessening.

Strangely, he found himself questioning if clutchmothers had felt similar, when gravid with their own clutches. Did they also go through similar experiences and merely not share or say as much of them? Or was this simply a 'human thing' in terms of experience, like so many other 'unknowns' that they had by comparison, and left much of dragonkind to wonder on them? Even so, Drask atleast had far more appreciation to any species that took up this particular method of reproduction, as his handler was. Herdbeasts included, though he had no future plans to give them a 'pass' as a meal because of it. He would just appreciate them more for it.

So on then, he could only watch each day steadily pass by; of Daedra getting alarmingly bigger and bigger, and equally weary to match. His handler almost casually continued onward with her daily business, though, which confused him a bit. Day by day, even though she did occasionally whine and complain on her woes, it was rather minor. She took her needed moments and merely proceeded forward, without sign of giving up or stopping herself. Like she always did. It was hard, it was unpleasant, and yet.... the redhead seemed just so terribly.... happy.

Drask knew she would be, though. Daedra was happy most days, for simple things like the sunshine or a plant she liked. This was different though. The wher found he constantly noticed it, moreso than before. It was a different kind of happiness than previously. All the secondhand frustrations and inconveniences were starting to put him on constant edge, and he really only dealt with them off-handedly. His handler, meanwhile, just seemed utterly content and pleased; like there was no problem to be had. Well... Daedra was normally a very optimistic person; that was a known. She just wasn't approaching this with the expected sense of pride and duty that he found more normal for this situation. Atleast where dragons, whers, and flits were concerned. He didn't see why she was getting like this for something so commonplace and routine... Regardless, Drask was still loyal enough that he would never deny to her his usual company and support.

The wher wouldn't deny though, that he was ever eagerly awaiting for all this to be over. Not that he was unhappy for Daedra, but this all seemed like too much. Let it be over so that things could go back to the usual, just as it was before. Daedra would have her clutch or egg or.... 'baby' – whatever humans liked to describe them as. Arrived and once viable, off they would go to the creche to do.... what humans did until they became adults. 'Grow and learn', as he understood... but probably with all the additives of human flair. Scribbling letters and wearing clothes... all those things. That was agonizingly long, too...decades of turns apparently. (It was enough to make Drask snort) Either way, once done, it would all go back to normal afterwards, surely.

Back to business. Back to the usual and to the familiar that the wher liked best.

Drask couldn't wait. He would, of course, as he was a patient wher. But he could still hardly wait for it.
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux