Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

Sym's Stand-Alones

A place to put drabbles, one-shots, theme challenges, letters to other characters, and other assorted in-character bits.
Symmetry

Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:14 am
  • Link

Sym's Stand-Alones

One-shots here!

- Table of Contents -
Symmetry

Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:47 am
  • Link

((This post may be edited pending Arcane's approval.))

The weyr was mostly dark, bathed in the soft light of recently-turned glows. N’ox’s desk was, as ever, a great comfort to him. His room might not have been the biggest, but it had every homely comfort he desired. There was a small, thinly-padded sofa in one corner, near the ledge upon which Jitteboth rested. His desk had a well-worn yet surprisingly comfortable seat, and there was a bed big enough for him to spread out in, with his old blanket. Jitteboth seemed to be standing guard, his tail making soft thuds upon the ground as though he were a feline lying in wait.

Ysera bounced her young son on her lap, half-sprawled upon the couch whilst N’ox worked in silence. There were footsteps outside the door, and the young woman sat up, a smile on her face. Aystara entered without knocking. “Hey everyone.” Even Ky’lai poked his head out of the adjoining room, a grin on his face. Ysera waved. N’ox said nothing, glancing up at the eldest sister as she flicked her hair over her shoulder. “Guess where I’ve come from?”

“Ooh, hang on…” Ysera sniffed the air delicately, grinning as Cenarys grabbed at her hair in play. “You smell cold. High Reaches?”

“Yes.” Aystara answered in surprise. “How did you know?”

N’ox’s heart clenched a little, his hand freezing over a stack of unblemished records. High Reaches?

You know the place… we go there sometimes... Jitteboth mused, with a slight rumble.

Shut up, you unhelpful beast. N’ox pushed back. Why was Jitteboth being so smug? How did he even remember that Flight victory… it was over a month ago, now…

The conversation had moved on without his realising, and N’ox blinked as he became aware of the other three laughing. “What?” He questioned the group, nonplussed.

“I said I heard the most interesting rumour. Apparently there’s been tell of people messing around in the Records Room. We were just saying how much that would infuriate you.”

N’ox controlled the flush that threatened to spread across his cheeks. “Yes. Yes, it would. They would degrade those records through carelessness and impropriety…”

“Ah.” Aystara began, stepping across the weyr to go pat Jitteboth’s snouth. “I also heard that they had some greens clutch recently.” The brown opened his eyes wider, raising his head to stare at the tall red-headed woman.

I beg your pardon- what do you mean?

“Well- I can only assume congratulations are in order. One of them might be yours, right?” Aystara answered, grinning.

Jitteboth was not grinning. Not that he could very well- he was a dragon, after all. N’ox, we must leave. Now. The man in question turned around, brows raised in surprise. Aystara profferred him a letter as he approached his dragon. “One of the Wingleaders gave me this to give to you- she knew your name. I assume that was the woman you were helping out… in the records room?” The slight hint of a smirk was all it took for N’ox to snatch it from her hands. “Stay out of my weyr whilst I’m gone, you pests. If I find even one record out of place…” He muttered, ignoring their roars of laughter.

So N’ox and Jitteboth left them to it, departing with great haste.
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux