Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

Madd's Radd Stories

A place to put drabbles, one-shots, theme challenges, letters to other characters, and other assorted in-character bits.
ladyweathervain
Peacekeeper

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:39 pm
  • Link

Madd's Radd Stories

One Shots go here!
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Cecelia of Brown Uriangth
Pyrus of Blue Gask
Hanzo of Blue Velocith
Lou of White Joheith
Lazu of Tanzanite Yharnath
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Daiya of Gold Daisk
Carol of Blue Carsk and Brown Cask
Manuel of Garnet Minevath
Barold of Blue Impacth
Theo of Blue Detrigeth
Nidai of Green Norenath
Soursop of Green Lalulith
Pom of White Venrath
Ollie of Goldstone Ollisk
Bruno
Jamil
HIGH REACHES
Phyna of Gold Lutrath
Lars of Bronze Scabellath
G'dan of Bronze Anubaath
Eglantine of Brown Anselth
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Orpheus of Brown Kohgath
Zul of Brown Zulsk
Rider of Blue Dersk
Y'uga of Blue Siarnaith
Kiki of Green Ghyblith
Ganymede of Green Auth
Adeline of Green Casiuth
Hans of Green Rhodoth

ladyweathervain
Peacekeeper

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:21 pm
  • Link

I Won't Be Alone

Lou grumbled, taking her small packed up lunch to the Hatching Sands. Some meat, bread, nothing particularly fancy but perfectly serviceable.

What a load of shards. The entire Fort had been abuzz with speculation regarding Nornth's clutch and no one had even been properly mauled! Or maimed! Sure, everyone BELIEVED that Nornth was a terrible individual but still... What a waste of time. No golds, either. Just a couple of bronzes and crumby browns... and one white that was actually black, but STILL.

"What a rotten old queen she is." Lou grumbled, tearing a chunk from her bread and chewing away bitterly. She'd worried and fretted over NOTHING. She hadn't missed anything particularly good. Just a bunch of anxious dragonets and a bunch of sleepy Candidates.

Well... She did miss SOMETHING. Someone, rather. The only person she'd been able to STAND in the Weyr had not Impressed. And now he was gone. He'd left in the night and now she was STUCK with the likes of Poppin... no, P'pin and... well Quinn was ok. She liked Quinn. She'd be sure to make Quinn as comfortable as possible now that they were rooming together. but everyone else? She tolerated and sometimes despised... But...

She felt so... alone.

In her frustration, she tossed the rest of her bread onto the sands, burying her head in her hands... For the first time in turns, she began to cry. And cry and cry and cry. It was hard, keeping her composure up. But now that she was finally alone, really and truly alone... she could let the facade fall away, and lick her emotional wounds.

When she finally, FINALLY managed to settle down... a crack made her look up. Something in the Sands shone and caught her eye, prompting her to bundle up her lunch and investigate...

Firelizard eggs. Little jewelbright eggs that muct have been missed during the Gold Queen's hatching event. And this little blue one was one of the last ones left... All around it were little bits of shell and tracks... Clearly the little ones were long gone, leaving this one behind.

She knelt in the sand beside it, encouraging it slightly. "Come on... Come on, little one. You can get out of there..." She kept her voice low, not knowing why but feeling it was right... Bit by bit, the firelizard egg cracked and cracked until it split apart...

The blue that plopped out was a lovely color... cobalt? indigo? hard to tell. But Lou did not care. She held up a sizable chunk of meat for the little thing, tempting it... the firelizard looked up and squealed in delight as it latched onto the offered treat and tugged it from her grasp.

"...Very well. I suppose that at least SOMEONE will be with me... even if things don't go according to plan..." She sighed, feeding the little creature a bit more until he was stuffed. "...Marquis will be your name. It's a fitting name for a bold little creature like you."

She gently scooped the flit up, and made sure to clean up after herself before she left the Sands.

Perhaps she'd be alright after all.
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Pyrus of Blue Gask
Hanzo of Blue Velocith
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Daiya of Gold Daisk
Barold of Blue Impacth
Theo of Blue Detrigeth
Nidai of Green Norenath
Pom of White Venrath
Bruno
Jamil
HIGH REACHES
Phyna of Gold Lutrath
G'dan of Bronze Anubaath
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Orpheus of Brown Kohgath
Zul of Brown Zulsk
Rider of Blue Dersk
Y'uga of Blue Siarnaith
Kiki of Green Ghyblith
Ganymede of Green Auth
Adeline of Green Casiuth
Hans of Green Rhodoth

ladyweathervain
Peacekeeper

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:37 pm
  • Link

One Bird For Another

It had been something else.

Ollie had been caught by a holder, sneaking in with a couple of wherries he'd snared. It had been when hed been sneaking in trying to avoid being noticed by the teachers... his name was at least heard in the kitchens, as he often deposited the catches in their pantries for the weyr... he wouldnt be around much longer so he figured it was a going away present.

The Jolder had not been angry though. If anything they were impressed. And so the trade had occured.

Ollie handed over the wherries like hunting trophies, and in exchange, he was given something more... alive

Hawthorne, a young hunting bird, had been trained and tempered, but it was difficult to find someone who would take him. Ollie wss more than happy to, having known uncles who had trained such birds... granted, it would take a while to get used to him, as ollie was used to silent hunting and lying in wait for what felt like eternities... but it was fine. He would adapt.

He still wouldnt hear the end of it fron his teachers though...
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Pyrus of Blue Gask
Hanzo of Blue Velocith
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Daiya of Gold Daisk
Barold of Blue Impacth
Theo of Blue Detrigeth
Nidai of Green Norenath
Pom of White Venrath
Bruno
Jamil
HIGH REACHES
Phyna of Gold Lutrath
G'dan of Bronze Anubaath
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Orpheus of Brown Kohgath
Zul of Brown Zulsk
Rider of Blue Dersk
Y'uga of Blue Siarnaith
Kiki of Green Ghyblith
Ganymede of Green Auth
Adeline of Green Casiuth
Hans of Green Rhodoth

ladyweathervain
Peacekeeper

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:42 pm
  • Link

Don't Forget...

He missed home.

Theo missed Fort Weyr.

He'd already started making things good for himself. He'd managed to start making things for Semeca. Soap. Soap carvings. Soap shavings grated nice and fine so that one could let them melt in the bath water... It made him happy.

He'd been writing to Lou. Writing to the other and listening to her whine and complain about her life as a Candidate. He wished that maybe... he could say something to console her. But he'd been talking to her about the coming Hatching. How he was planning on taking a break from his Candidacy to come visit and see her Impress... Or not. Either way. It was a reason to go.

Regardless.

He'd started looking for something else to keep him occupied. He'd started taking on some extra chores when he was done with lessons. He'd sat through so many, it was impossible not to fall asleep in some. So he'd asked the older riders if he could do more to help. So he'd started helping the younger Candidates with their lessons, making sure they understood.

Things were nice.

He was helping move things around, and he was taking a break near the Hatching Sands. Not a thing had been laid here in a while... Theo hoped that he could actually stand for a Hatching before he aged out of here too... Shards, the thought still made his heart clench...

He was shaken from his fear by the cracking sounds of... eggs?

He slid from the stands, investigating behind a small dune and seeing a nest of Firelizard eggs.

That was... weird.

Already a few were busted open, with firelizard tracks leading away. But no, here was one more. It was wiggling, but it hadn't cracked yet... He scooped it up, sitting on the sands and watching it go... It cracked, more and more, until...

Oh! A little brown fella...

Theo smiled, helping it from its prison and taking it back to the dining hall... He'd get the little guy a nice cutlet, something he could enjoy all by himself. The Firelizard was a vocal little thing, chirping and sounding off until Theo stuffed some meat into his face.

"Sorry it took so long to get you food ...What to call you, though..." He mused, making sure the little guy was happy and full. He didn't need a cranky firelizard on his hands... A moment of thought... then...

"...Mithra." A simple name for a simple firelizard.

He'd have to get the little guy a bed... Or so he thought before he went to bed that night, and Mithra decided the best spot in the house for sleeping was on Theo's face.
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Pyrus of Blue Gask
Hanzo of Blue Velocith
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Daiya of Gold Daisk
Barold of Blue Impacth
Theo of Blue Detrigeth
Nidai of Green Norenath
Pom of White Venrath
Bruno
Jamil
HIGH REACHES
Phyna of Gold Lutrath
G'dan of Bronze Anubaath
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Orpheus of Brown Kohgath
Zul of Brown Zulsk
Rider of Blue Dersk
Y'uga of Blue Siarnaith
Kiki of Green Ghyblith
Ganymede of Green Auth
Adeline of Green Casiuth
Hans of Green Rhodoth

ladyweathervain
Peacekeeper

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:55 pm
  • Link

Promise for Tomorrow

Hans bolted awake.

Another nightmare. Ugh.

He still had nightmares about the time his brothers had put tunnelsnakes in his boots and woken him up in the middle of the night... He'd been so panicked, he'd rushed and put his feet into his boots without looking... Nowadays he never put them on without looking...

He sighed, slipping from his bed and rubbing his face... It wasn't officially lights out yet, but it had to be damn close. So he'd go out to the common room, sit by the fire and maybe read a bit before goin' back to sleep.

Regardless. He left his bed and headed down to the Common room, but not before grabbing some jerky he'd gotten from Lars. Good old Lars. Always looking out for him. He'd promised this stuff would put a smile on his face, and Hans felt inclined to believe him...

Deserted at this time of night, just as he liked it. He settled up in an armchair by the fire, and...

He startled awake at the sound of a loud crack. Had he fallen asleep? Again? Goodness... He yawned, stretching and hearing another pop and crack... Something flew from the fire... An eggshell?

He looked up and saw that there was something by the fire, in the soft sand by the logs... An egg. A firelizard egg?

Hans stared as a little creature clawed its way out of its egg, shaking off shells and letting out a tiny shriek... And he realized he needed this thing. Right now. He fumbled with the pouch at his side, and held out a small piece of jerky for the little rumpled thing... And it gladly took it, shaking it from his grip and tearing into it...

A bronze! A little baby bronze!

Hans was breathless with excitement, scooping up the still hungry flit and feeding it as much jerky as he wanted. Was this a promise? Was this indicative of what awaited him? He was snapped out of his warm, cuddly mood when the little thing bit his finger.

"Ow! You little Bastard-!" He put his finger in his mouth, and the flit hissed at him. "Fine, fine, stop being so..." He stuffed as piece of jerky in the flit's mouth before he could bite him again...

"What to call you... Boris? Brazen? Yes, Brazen. All things considered..." Hans sighed. He'd always wanted a flit. But... This thing was... something else.

Well. At least he wouldn't have to sleep alone. He was sure Brazen would wake him up to feed him... and so nightmares wouldn't form.
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Pyrus of Blue Gask
Hanzo of Blue Velocith
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Daiya of Gold Daisk
Barold of Blue Impacth
Theo of Blue Detrigeth
Nidai of Green Norenath
Pom of White Venrath
Bruno
Jamil
HIGH REACHES
Phyna of Gold Lutrath
G'dan of Bronze Anubaath
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Orpheus of Brown Kohgath
Zul of Brown Zulsk
Rider of Blue Dersk
Y'uga of Blue Siarnaith
Kiki of Green Ghyblith
Ganymede of Green Auth
Adeline of Green Casiuth
Hans of Green Rhodoth

ladyweathervain
Peacekeeper

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:18 pm
  • Link

A Warm Meeting

"I'm gonna be leaving soon. You know that. I'm gonna be going back to Semeca when those two get back..."

"I know. I just missed you. I missed talking to you at the feast because Tyrion-"

"You don't need to explain yourself. I love you like a little sister, you know this. I miss you a lot, but you've got your own life now. I'm proud that you Impressed to such a wonderful dragon."

"Ugh. Don't give me that. I heard you laughing up in the Stands!"

"It's because I knew you were putting it all on the line to get a gold...and let's be honest, if the roles were reversed, you'd laugh too."

"...What am I gonna do with him, Theo? A whiterider can't really do... ANYTHING here at Fort. And it'll be a long while before I can do anything at High Reaches... And we'll just be further apart..."

"Lou, it's ok. When I get a dragon, I'll be sure to make them visit you with me. And honestly... I'm just jealous that you impressed so much faster than I did. I mean... Joheith's YOUR dragon, but I'd gladly take him in a heartbeat. He's such a coolheaded little guy... And frankly, I think you need him here. Since y'know. I'm not here for you."

"...I don't know. I just. He's everything I didnt' want. Small. White. A weird kind of white no less. Only one other 'black' dragon exists and frankly, they're.. kinda creepy."

"I know, Lou. But it's happened already. You cannot change the past. Nor can you control what comes next. All you can do is control what you do now. With yourself. How you react to Joheith and your new mentor. What you're gonna try and do next."

"...I guess... It's just so discouraging... I really don't feel like I wanna do anything..."

"Then be discouraged."

"Huh?"

"Lou, you dumb wherry, you never let yourself feel anything. You always push those angry feelings down until they're a dense little ball of hate. let yourself feel something about this. Be mad. Be sad. Let yourself feel things."

"...."

"Heh. I'll let you stew in your feelings for now. I need to have a word with your soapmakers. I have... many questions."
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Pyrus of Blue Gask
Hanzo of Blue Velocith
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Daiya of Gold Daisk
Barold of Blue Impacth
Theo of Blue Detrigeth
Nidai of Green Norenath
Pom of White Venrath
Bruno
Jamil
HIGH REACHES
Phyna of Gold Lutrath
G'dan of Bronze Anubaath
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Orpheus of Brown Kohgath
Zul of Brown Zulsk
Rider of Blue Dersk
Y'uga of Blue Siarnaith
Kiki of Green Ghyblith
Ganymede of Green Auth
Adeline of Green Casiuth
Hans of Green Rhodoth

ladyweathervain
Peacekeeper

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:15 pm
  • Link

The Start of a Good Life

Ganymede was... not used to this sort of thing.

He was the type to really share his things with his sisters. He'd been doing it his entire life. But now... his parents had decided to congratulate him with something of his very own. Something that was just his.

It SEEMED that one of their fellow Harpers' firelizards had left them a small clutch of eggs. There were only three, and they'd yet to hatch. But he'd made a game of it: Pick an egg and take it home. Keep it by the hearth and see what it hatched into.

Ganymede had picked a small egg, as he'd wanted a small firelizard. That's how this worked. Firelizards were tiny. Whers were medium. Dragons were big! And his little sisters were all eager to see what their brother's firelizard would look like...

It only took a couple days for the egg to hatch.

Ganymede's mother had been the one to hear the crack. She'd called her children in, and handed Ganymede a little slip of meat for when the egg opened up... He'd have to quickly feed the little thing, so it would stick with him.

First came a wing. Then a claw. Then the egg itself fell apart, and out came...

A green!

Gany quickly shoved the offering in the little thing's face, and she gladly accepted it. His sisters were all excited to touch and pet the baby firelizard, but their mother insisted they all take turns greeting Ganymede's new pet.

"What's he gonna be called, Gany?" Ioa, the second oldest, asked as she scritched the little lady's chin.

"...I wanna call her Melopan." Gany replied after some thought. "She looks like a melon. It's a really cute name..." Honestly, he hadn't been expecting a green. But she was a happy little thing, and seemed very relaxed and happy to be here...

That was all he could ask for.
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Pyrus of Blue Gask
Hanzo of Blue Velocith
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Daiya of Gold Daisk
Barold of Blue Impacth
Theo of Blue Detrigeth
Nidai of Green Norenath
Pom of White Venrath
Bruno
Jamil
HIGH REACHES
Phyna of Gold Lutrath
G'dan of Bronze Anubaath
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Orpheus of Brown Kohgath
Zul of Brown Zulsk
Rider of Blue Dersk
Y'uga of Blue Siarnaith
Kiki of Green Ghyblith
Ganymede of Green Auth
Adeline of Green Casiuth
Hans of Green Rhodoth

ladyweathervain
Peacekeeper

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:12 am
  • Link

Not Quite Alone

Ugh.

UGHHHH.

Lazu lay on her bed, staring at the ceiling. She missed the ocean. She missed being able to go to the shore and swimming in the sea. Sure, the lake was FINE but it lacked the same sort of power that came with it. The oomph. The strength…

So she took it upon herself to bribe a wherhandler friend to take her to the shores near Fort Weyr. It would just be a day, and she could surely get away for ONE day. Get someone like Zul to cover for her.

So she was here. The breeze blowing salt and spray into her face. And she felt at home for the first time in WEEKS. She just. Lay out in the sand, staring at the sky, and smiling. It was nice, really. Being out on the sand and surf… She had been nice enough to bring them all a picnic lunch, as she’d managed to sneak some stuff from the kitchens. The benefits of being able to get in and out of places quietly.

So after some playing and some fun, they’d sit down and eat. However…

Something else had been dropped into her basket.

Among the hardboiled eggs and the sandwiches was a lone flit egg.

“….O...kay?” She picked it up, and realized that it was shaking. She must have grabbed this while she was getting supplies and not realized it. So she and her pals would just sit and watch the little monster claw its way out of its egg…

A blue! A small crooning little blue!

Lazu’s chest grew tight. What a charming little thing. It squealed as it kicked its way out of its egg, shaking goop off itself and staring at Lazu… who picked up some meat from her sandwich and stuffed it in his face.

...Hm. What to call you.” She mused, picking it up and drying it off with one of her towels. “...” She looked back at the waves ,still crashing and roaring away… “...Hm. Maybe Droplet.”

For now, she’d just watch the waves with her friends. Just content to be quiet before it was time to go home.

She made sure to keep the little guy warm in her towel as they headed back. It was chilly out here still…
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Pyrus of Blue Gask
Hanzo of Blue Velocith
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Daiya of Gold Daisk
Barold of Blue Impacth
Theo of Blue Detrigeth
Nidai of Green Norenath
Pom of White Venrath
Bruno
Jamil
HIGH REACHES
Phyna of Gold Lutrath
G'dan of Bronze Anubaath
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Orpheus of Brown Kohgath
Zul of Brown Zulsk
Rider of Blue Dersk
Y'uga of Blue Siarnaith
Kiki of Green Ghyblith
Ganymede of Green Auth
Adeline of Green Casiuth
Hans of Green Rhodoth

ladyweathervain
Peacekeeper

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:06 pm
  • Link

Oh, We Got Trouble

Lars was taking a day off.

He was off with a couple of other Bronze riders, meeting their parents and just spending time at a bigger Hold... They'd taken to a market, just frittering a day away, enjoying themselves... Their bronzes were all quite pleased to spend time together, just relaxing away from the main crowd.

One of Lars' friends jerked his thumb at a stand, as some sweet young lady was selling firelizard eggs... "Hey! Why don't we all pick an egg out, see what comes out? My treat." He said, grinning.

"You sure 'bout that? Firelizards are real finicky..." Lars huffed.

"C'mon, it'll be fun! We've got dragons! A little ol' flit ain't gonna be no trouble!"

Lars soon found himself yanked towards a stall, where the lady and her gold stood... The little queen eyed the riders up, as they made and paid for their selections. Of course, they were pretty close to hatching anyway, but she still gave them a little bag of warm sand and bade them to keep the eggs warm regardless.

A fun little diversion, but one that wasn't really thought on until right before they left.

It was around the time the sun was starting to set that the eggs all started to shake.

Thankfully they still had the remains of meat pies they'd brought in their packs, so food wasn't an issue. The first to hatch was a spirited little green, covered in speckles and quick to croon at her new owner. The second was a garnet, striped and bold. She herself was pleased to be pet after hatching, shaking off eggshell and goo...

The last...?

Lars' egg shuddered. And shuddered. And shuddered more. Until at last, it exploded in a shower of eggshell and sand, as the beast inside gave a tiny roar.

A blue!

A very domineering blue!

The little blue let out another small cry, wings flaring as Lars picked it up and tried to feed it. But it resisted, pulling its head away, snarling and snapping until it finally had a mouthful of food. Only then would it calm down...

"Ugh. Not even a few seconds old, and you're already a load of trouble." Lars sighed. His friends had been laughing at the pair, and were already quite pleased with the sight...

Regardless.

Trouble would burrow into the other's pack, ready and waiting to cause problems whenever he saw fit...
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Pyrus of Blue Gask
Hanzo of Blue Velocith
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Daiya of Gold Daisk
Barold of Blue Impacth
Theo of Blue Detrigeth
Nidai of Green Norenath
Pom of White Venrath
Bruno
Jamil
HIGH REACHES
Phyna of Gold Lutrath
G'dan of Bronze Anubaath
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Orpheus of Brown Kohgath
Zul of Brown Zulsk
Rider of Blue Dersk
Y'uga of Blue Siarnaith
Kiki of Green Ghyblith
Ganymede of Green Auth
Adeline of Green Casiuth
Hans of Green Rhodoth

ladyweathervain
Peacekeeper

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:25 pm
  • Link

One Summer Day

It had been a couple seasons since her arrival. An life was good.

Bronzes were in control of the Weyr, as they should be.

That obnoxious greenrider was no longer in the picture. As she shouldn't be.

And she was adapting well to her new home. As she should be.

Still. She was...Missing her father.

Her father and her had been close. Her mother had been distant at best and flat out negligent at worst. As such, Adeline had relied on her father to give her the love and affection she'd craved at a young age. And things had worked out fine! She didn't need her mother! Never needed her!

So she was frankly SHOCKED when her mother was seen in the Weyr, delivering something and... looking for her.

It was an awkward lunch.

"I see you're doing well enough." Terest said, not looking up from her goblet of wine. The bottle before them was one that Adeline had made a while ago... "the wine's actually decent. I'm impressed."

"Thank you Mother." Adeline was still tense as all hell, stiffly eating her food as she did her best to sit up straight, unwilling to let the old cow see her slouch. She'd forgotten how freeing the Weyr was. For all its faults and bareboned-ness, she at least didn't have to keep her back straight and hair perfectly combed at all times.

"Your father insisted that I visit you." Terest began. "Said something about how I was missing our daughter grow up. So here I am. What exactly do you have to show me, then?" She set her goblet down, looking down at her daughter with pursed lips.

Adeline felt her throat tighten as she met her mother's gaze. "I... Am still excelling in my Vintercraft studies, and also a Candidate for the Weyr. I've been plenty busy."

"But have you anything physical to show for it?"

"I... No." She replied, averting her gaze. "Aside from the wine. That's..."

"I didn't take you for the type to want to be a Candidate." Terest added, swirling the wine in her goblet. "I suppose you're not just wasting your life then. Good for you."

"Thank you, Moth-"

"You still better work hard though." Terest interrupted, drinking her wine. "Still. Youre my daughter. You're perfectly capable at excelling. I expect good things from you the next time I decide to visit. And..." She handed over a small bag of marks. There had to be at least 5 in there... "Your father said to give you this. You're to keep up the good work."

Stupid mother.

She was taking their dishes and such back to the kitchen to be washed, as her weekly chore was 'doing dishes'. Ugh. Stupid old thing. Why was she such a pain to deal with? Why hadn't her father just shown up... She'd much rather have spent time with her father, she missed him dearly...

It felt like candlemarks before she was done with all her dishes. But she was done. She could leave.

Getting up to go, she saw something out of the corner of her eye.

In the sandy firepit where a cooking fire lay dying, was a single lone Flit egg.

How long had that been there?

She approached it, kneeling down... And jumped back as it wriggled.

It was hatching!

She backed off, and wanted to just. Leave it be but... What would happen to the baby if there was no one around to bond to it? She didn't know and wasn't sure she wanted to find out.

As such, she got some leftover meat and watched the egg slowly hatch.

Oh. A... Garnet. Well. Not her first choice in color but. The little thing was at least not shrieking its head off. It shook off the egg shells and locked eyes with Adeline... and sat down, reaching up for that scrap of meat. Adeline gladly gave it to the little pink creature and watched as it politely pinned it down and started tearing away at it. As opposed to just swallowing it whole.

"Aren't you just Prim?" She asked, scooping her new companion up gently.

Perhaps now was a good time to start researching Firelizard care...
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Pyrus of Blue Gask
Hanzo of Blue Velocith
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Daiya of Gold Daisk
Barold of Blue Impacth
Theo of Blue Detrigeth
Nidai of Green Norenath
Pom of White Venrath
Bruno
Jamil
HIGH REACHES
Phyna of Gold Lutrath
G'dan of Bronze Anubaath
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Orpheus of Brown Kohgath
Zul of Brown Zulsk
Rider of Blue Dersk
Y'uga of Blue Siarnaith
Kiki of Green Ghyblith
Ganymede of Green Auth
Adeline of Green Casiuth
Hans of Green Rhodoth

ladyweathervain
Peacekeeper

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:45 pm
  • Link

Home Again

But what if they don't like me...?

"Hyuth. Of course they'll like you. You're a huge forsk off dragon. Most have probably never seen one before."

If you say so.

Hyuth and B'yani had been cleared for time off after all that Thread nonsense. He'd wanted to return home, to see what his family thought of him now... Not just his family, his whole hold! He'd been born out in the sticks, the boonies, the rural area... This timid nervous boy was now properly grown up and had a dragon!

Going Between had been terrifying at first. The sensation of not being able to breathe at first had made him flail a little... But it had gotten easier with practice. And now he and Hyuth were no longer afraid.

Well, no.

They were still afraid. But a reasonable amount of afraid. They had been trained. They had been tempered. They would get through this.

B'yani's arrival was announced by a great roar as they came out from Between.

The cotholders had been spooked at first, as Hyuth as circled overhead to try and find a place to land... He wasn't very BIG but this place wasn't MADE with dragons in mind.

Ah geez. Ah shaffit. This place is so cramped. How could you grow up here... he grumbled, as he chose to land a little further away from the place so he wouldn't spook anyone's livestock too badly.

"well, I didn't have you at the time. So..." He laughed as he landed and dismounted. The awkward and gangly young man had grown up well, decently muscled and almost unrecognizable behind the rider gear.

The group who'd come up to meet him were... frankly shocked that a dragonrider would even know where this place was. But when he removed his helmet and goggles...

"Bayani?!"

"By the Red Star!"

"Is that really Bayani?!"

"It's B'yani now actually. Hey guys." He replied with a dumb grin. "This is Hyuth-"

Hello... He poked his head closer to the humans, who all backed up a bit. Oh sorry. Too much?

"You're fine, Hyuth! We just graduated and we're a Thread fighting team now. We just came by to visit and see how everyone was doing, that's all."

Needless to say, B'yani was greeted with open arms by the other cotholders. To think that such a timid lad was now so confident and accomplished! They gladly invited him to it an tell stories about the Weyrs and dragons... And the gifts!

They were glad to give him food and trinkets, though he insisted on paying for what he could afford and the like. He'd even gotten a little flit egg in a heated sand pail... apparently it would be hatching soon... But... There was no sign of his parents among the crowds. So he'd just.. .have to go home.

He was back.

He arrived at the door, still worn with carvings he and his brother had made... Hyuth was a little ways away, watching. B'yani looked back, and Hyuth gave him a nod.

B'yani knocked on the door.

And his mother opened the door.

She was a little older now. Two Turns wasn't a long time but she seemed just a little more... worn. Her hair was already starting to grey, and she just... looked so tired.

The pair stared at each other... And B'yani smiled crookedly. "Uh. Hey mom...oof!" He felt himself stumble as she hugged him tight and start crying.

"Bayani... Bayani, my son! Karmela sobbed, shaking. "Vargas! Vargas come quick! Our son! Our son is home!"

They brought him in, and there was a LOT of hugging and crying. They both explained that, ever since they had had the argument, that they'd regretted it. They'd wanted to write to him but there was no assurance their letter would ever get to him... They had wanted to visit but... They thought he'd hate them and just be angry.

Anf B'yani realized... He'd been angry. For a while.

But any sort of resentment melted when he saw them cry.

The family had a nice little hugging session, and a good cry as well... Only when they were done did B'yani introduce them to Hyuth, and tell them how they'd met... And they were happy.

For once, they were happy.

B'yani slept in his old room, with Hyuth just outside. Normally he'd have gone home to the Weyr asap but... He had a day or so to come back. Why not?

He lay there, staring at the egg that he'd been given... He'd kept a little plate of leftovers just in case it hatched...

"hyuth? You still awake?"

Mhm... Why?

"I can't sleep. It's just. Weird. Realizing my parents missed me. When I left they were so angry that I was going against their wishes."

People change, I suppose. I wouldn't know. But I know they love you. I could feel it. I'm glad though... It would be sad if they didn't.

"I guess... I'm just... i'm so happy. I'm happier than I've ever been..." He thought. "They're good people. I just... i guess it took that much to wake them up to the fact that I needed to try and be on my own..." He sat up as he heard a crackling noise.

The little egg was hatching.

B'yani sat up, grabbing his leftovers as he watched it... Little by little, the little flit pushed his way out... and...

A white!

He fed the little thing, and just watched as it yawned and crawled under his shirt... "Hey..." He laughed, taking it out. "You can't sleep there... I might crush you..."

The flit was insistent, though, and it kept trying to crawl under his clothes... at least until B'yani gave him a decently sized drawstring bag to sleep in.

"what to call you...?" He watched the flit just... poke its head out... and duck in... and poke its head out... and pull back in... It was enough to make him laugh.

"A real fool, aren't you? A lil jokster? Well... Maybe a Joker is more appropriate..."
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Pyrus of Blue Gask
Hanzo of Blue Velocith
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Daiya of Gold Daisk
Barold of Blue Impacth
Theo of Blue Detrigeth
Nidai of Green Norenath
Pom of White Venrath
Bruno
Jamil
HIGH REACHES
Phyna of Gold Lutrath
G'dan of Bronze Anubaath
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Orpheus of Brown Kohgath
Zul of Brown Zulsk
Rider of Blue Dersk
Y'uga of Blue Siarnaith
Kiki of Green Ghyblith
Ganymede of Green Auth
Adeline of Green Casiuth
Hans of Green Rhodoth

ladyweathervain
Peacekeeper

Mon May 02, 2022 12:32 pm
  • Link

To Have Visions....

Bruno was having a bad time.

His heart felt empty, his anxiety as bad as it had ever been...

He thought that being away from his family would help with his anxiety. But... no. He was just here. And while he WAS feeling so much LESS stressed... he felt like he was missing something.

Well. For now, he'd have some food, maybe do some deep breathing, and keep going.

Dinner was always good! And tonight was his turn to do dishes. He would load up his arms with dishes and bowls, and carry them off to the kitchen.

He would just whistle, humming as he set them all aside once they were washed and dried... only to notice a flit scampering away from the fireplace. Bruno would pause... and peek in by the dying embers.

Eggs! It seemed that the flit had left eggs... or had it? These looked like theyd been here a while. Maybe they'd just come to see if the eggs were here? Or maybe it was a rival coming to take eggs?

Either way. He would sigh and gently scoop up one. He had to get these someplace safer, surely?

Until the one in his hands started to shake and crack.

He fumbled the egg, but held onto it, eyes wide... a little nose poked out, and it would reveal itself.

What a strange little flit.

It peeped at Bruno, making itself home in his top as he got it some scraps of meat. "...Sorry. I don't talk much these days." he would say, scritching its chin as he fed it. "....I think. I'll call you Vision. Since this little cuddle session is really helping me see clearer." he was teasing but Vision still peeped at him, gently nipping his finger...
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Pyrus of Blue Gask
Hanzo of Blue Velocith
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Daiya of Gold Daisk
Barold of Blue Impacth
Theo of Blue Detrigeth
Nidai of Green Norenath
Pom of White Venrath
Bruno
Jamil
HIGH REACHES
Phyna of Gold Lutrath
G'dan of Bronze Anubaath
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Orpheus of Brown Kohgath
Zul of Brown Zulsk
Rider of Blue Dersk
Y'uga of Blue Siarnaith
Kiki of Green Ghyblith
Ganymede of Green Auth
Adeline of Green Casiuth
Hans of Green Rhodoth

ladyweathervain
Peacekeeper

Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:17 pm
  • Link

Moments of Regret

Woogu had come to visit Pom.

The young candidate was excited to see that her only real family was taking an interest in her life again, as they'd been... distant the last time they'd been close to one another. But even now, she was struggling to get a word in. He'd ended up just... talking mostly about his adventures in farmercrafting...

"So I says to Yorri, I says, "Look I don't care about the mix of the mulch and dung, you just gotta spread it on the crops before we can clean up here!" He laughs, chortling as he takes a swig from his goblet... Pom just laughs along boredly, trying to remain engaged.. .But really, anything that didn't have to do with livestock was just... not her thing. Animals were far more interesting than plants, after all...

"So what about you, Pom?" Woogu asked, smiling at her. "Have you had any luck with your dragons?" He did seem honestly happy that she seemed to be having fun at Fort, but...He'd just bragged for about thirty minutes about his own achievements. And Pom had very little to show for her own endeavors.

"Well, I've been having a lot of fun helping with the livestock here, and i've learned so much about dragons!" She said, petting her flit Ruff and smiling... She'd talk about her own experiences, but she could tell he was being... bored by her talk. Which was really obnoxious since SHE'D listen to him prattle on...

Crud. She needed to try and one up him, she didn't like that smug look he was giving her... What to say...

"Oh! And. I was thinking of transferring out!"

"Oh? That's unlike you, you always seemed so attached to the ranch." Woogu tilted his head, looking a bit startled at her admission. "Were you thinking of transferring to High Reaches?"

"Nope! Semeca!"

"What?"

"Yup! Semeca! With the spotty cats and the pirates! It'll be a great adventure!"

"I..." Woogu blanched at the thought of his little sister going out so far away... "I don't think that's a good idea. You're still young, surely it'd be better to-"

"Nope! I'm going and I've been looking into it! So don't you worry about me. Me and Ruff'll be perfectly fine!"

"I... Well... Okay..."

=

Only after Woogu had tried to convince her otherwise and then left did Pom realize.

She would have to go through with it.

If she didn't, Woogu would accuse her of being a liar, and as such, would never let her live this down...

She didn't want to go to Semeca but...

The idea of being called out for her lies was somehow worse.

So she'd simply have to... Start looking into a transfer.

"What have I done...?"
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Pyrus of Blue Gask
Hanzo of Blue Velocith
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Daiya of Gold Daisk