Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

Candidate Iris

Thistle

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:30 pm
  • Link

Candidate Iris

IRIS
"A weed is but an unloved flower"

BASICS

RETIRE INFO: Adopt (dragon) / Retire (character)
NAME: Iris
PRONOUNS: (She her
ORIENTATION: Aromantic Asexual

BIRTHDATE: Spring 2755
WING: N/A

APPEARANCE
EYES: Light blue and round, fairly big, tends to give her a wide-eyed innocent look.
HAIR: Dark brown and long, usually worn in a single braid tied with a blue satan ribbon.
HEIGHT AND BUILD: 5’0, short and slender
PLAY-BY: N/A
FULL APPEARANCE:

Iris is a small, delicate girl. Her hair is long and stick straight. Though usually kept in a neat braid, sometimes she lets it loose, and then it falls in gentle waves. She’s tidy and put together, though her clothes are older and show frequent patching. Her face is delicate and elfin, her eyes wide and bright though a bit too big for her face. Her nose is short and upturned, her lips full and always smiling. A smattering of freckles are scattered across her nose and cheeks.

Her clothing style is simple. She loves soft fabrics and only wears coarser made cloth when compelled to. She adores bright colors and loosely flowing clothes. Often, her tunics look more like dresses because of their length. Her breeches’ legs are often rolled up to keep them out of her way. She’s rarely seen without her trusty boots and her favorite pair of soft woolen socks.

PERSONALITY
PERSONALITY:

Iris is a reserved, quiet young woman. Though she can speak well enough, her words are often overly formal, and usually composed from the cast-off phrases of other people. Often, she borrows words from her family, though sometimes she uses phrases she’d picked up from the candidates. When she uses her own words, she tends to repeat phrases for emphasis, or leave out words, or create unusual phrases and sayings. She has also memorized several stock phrases that she uses to navigate most superficial social situations.

She is fond of daydreaming and making up stories, and often amuses herself this way in the evenings after her chores are done. Those who manage to befriend the odd little thing find her a pleasant, sweet girl, dutiful and hardworking--though she is somewhat prone to singing to the dishes and chatting with the plates.

While she has largely suppressed the frustrated outbursts of her childhood, if pushed, Iris can become overwrought. When that happens, she will retreat somewhere private to cry, rock and hug herself. Sometimes she throws things, but usually she turns these more destructive impulses on herself, biting her hands or tearing at her hair. As much as possible, this is done in private. She doesn’t get angry often, and after she does, she is even more quiet and subdued than normal.

HISTORY
FAMILY: Isther, mother, 43, living, cotholder’s wife
Irin, father, 45, living, cotholder
Isir, brother, 25, living
Hestir, 23, sister, living
Ane, 23, sister, living
Rin, 21, brother, living
Nan, sister, 19, living
Ris, brother, 17, living
SIGNIFICANT OTHER: None
BIRTHPLACE: Cothold near High Reaches Weyr
HISTORY:

Child abuse

Iris came quietly into the world on a blustery spring night in the year 2755, seventh and final child of Isther and Irin. Born into a room lit only by candles, Iris spent the first 15 years of her life living on a small cothold, with only a few scattered families for company. The cothold was poor, and herdbeasts and crops alike were scraggly. The people were fiercely independent, keeping to themselves and wanting little to do with outsiders. During Threadfall, they sheltered in caves. There was little talk of dragons, as that was reserved for the wealthy, or so they thought.

Though Searches sometimes happened, they were few and far between. Most of the cot holders were simply too busy trying to eke out s life for themselves to worry overmuch about the goings on in other cothold, never mind the minor and major holds and the Weyrs may as well have been on another planet for all the attention Iris’ family paid them.

Her mother, a timid, easily cowed woman, taught Iris the songs and stories she knew, and also helped her to curb her more troublesome behaviors, though she didn’t intervene for the girl with her husband—believing it wasn’t her place Iris’ father, Irin was a particularly harsh man, who punished his children for the smallest infraction by whipping them with his belt, and Iris, it seemed, was forever getting into mischief.

Despite Her penchant for getting into trouble, Iris grew up, helping her mother around the house, assisting with the mending, harvesting the crops and sometimes tending to the animals. She played with the other children when she was younger, though her oddness made her stick out. As she grew, she kept more and more to herself, so it came as a surprise to everyone when she was Searched and selected for candidacy. A few months ago, she arrived at High Reaches Weyr, and had began the long process of settling in among the candidates.
Last edited by Thistle on Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thistle

Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:35 pm
  • Link

IC Information
What type of candidate is your character: Dragon
What color/s does your character want?: She doesn’t have a preference, though wouldn’t consider herself worthy of a high ranking dragon.
Does your character have any personality preferences or concerns?: Aggressive, domineering dragons frighten her, so she definitely doesn’t want that. She’d like a nice calm, quiet dragon that was friendly.
Does your character have any other preferences or concerns?: She’s very much afraid the dragons will reject her, no matter how hard she tries to fit in with the other candidates.

OOC Information
If your character is a dual candidate IC, do you have a strong preference on whether they Impress dragon or wher?: She’s a dragon candidate, lol, so ,dragon.

What color(s) are you willing for your character to impress to?: Any of them, though I can’t see her with a gold to be honest, but she could grow into a capable, if quiet, assistant, so a higher ranking dragon would be fun.
Do you have any personality preferences or concerns?: I can write somewhat aggressive characters but I don’t think that kind of personality would match well with Iris. The ideal match, I think, would be a dragon whose a bit odd and quirky, maybe shy like Iris or a bit more friendly/outgoing. A timid dragon with self esteem issues would also be a fun match.
Do you have any other preferences or concerns?: I can’t write male characters to save my life, so I need a female dragon but beyond what I’ve said above that’s the only other thing I’d need.
Why do you think these choice/s would be a good fit?: So, I’d like iris to develop more self confidence, and get comfortable with herself and her quirks. I think having a dragon that shares her insecurities would be good. She’d accept the dragon, and in so doing would come to accept herself. Also, having others depend on her would help her confidence, so a more friendly or outgoing dragon would also be a good fit and a lot of fun.

Do you have any preferences about the conditions of your character’s impression?: Nothing I can think of.
Are you alright with your character getting hurt? What injury level is acceptable/what should be avoided?: As long as she isn’t dead, go for it. I’m fine with injuries up to those severe enough that she’d have to retire.

Is there anything you will ABSOLUTELY NOT accept?: I can’t see her doing well with a gold, tbh, but even then, there’s a part of me that thinks she might surprise everyone, so, short of a male dragon, which I wouldn’t be able to write, the answer to this would be no.
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux