Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

Patience Yields Focus [Fems]

thefaeriesfyre
Peacekeeper

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:57 pm

Patience Yields Focus [Fems]

"I don't know, Black. I think this is a bad idea." Shiro followed his white through the hallway. She was supposed to be helping him find Gamora, who hadn't shown up for oiling, but so far all he had encountered were a few drudges who scurried away from the tank wearing bronze knots. Not that he could blame them - Shiro didn't trust most of his rank, and he had been away for a while.

Do you trust us?

Lalauth was being unfair, because there was a very small group of beings that Shiro trusted. His girls were at the top of the list, sharing the spot with his twin. Anything that had Lalauth conspiring with the fire lizards, though, had to arouse Shiro's suspicions.

"You know I trust you. That isn't what I said."

Black led him into a store room, blinking out between wingbeats from just in front of her Shiro to reappearing beside a sturdy looking clay pot. Gamora was nowhere to be seen.

Shiro buried his head in his weak hand. He was going to regret whatever was in that pot, he just knew it.

"Do I want to ask?"

Wait for it.

Meanwhile, a vivid green fire lizard found their other target: a boy with messy black hair. She began the process of luring him to the same location.
Femisis
Candidate

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:42 pm

Keith had been minding his own business when a firelizard entered his personal bubble. A Green, specifically, one with a red harness. She belonged to someone, then, and wanted him to go with her. "You're up to something, aren't you?" He asked, peering at her suspiciously. On one hand, she might be trying to get him into some sort of trouble. On the other hand, it was a forsking 'lizard and he wasn't doing anything important. Curiosity won. "This had better be good," he grumbled, but began following her, hoping whatever was at the end of this would be worth it.
Fort Weyr
Uryuu of Bronze Frydrykth
Shigure of Blue Cyaleth
Akira of Green Auruth
Trowa of Green Yasogamith
Candidate Gaelio
High Reaches Weyr
Cesare of Brown Fuuth
Y'su of Blue Brenlosath
Candidate Keith
Semaca Weyr
Niriru of Bronze Ziodyneth
Crowe of White Eclith
Soran of White Qanth
Karaze of Blue Karask
thefaeriesfyre
Peacekeeper

Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:30 pm

Black hopped onto the clay pot with a flutter of wings, staring at Shiro with intent. He didn't need Lalauth's encouragement to go investigate just what his fire lizards had gotten up to. He reached flit and pot in a few steps and knelt to see.

The pot was filled with sand.

That in and of itself was enough to sink Shiro's stomach with dread. It was a large pot to be repurposed as an incubator, and he almost didn't need to sift through the hot sand to find the curve of an egg. It was obvious that his girls had stolen someone's egg, and it didn't matter whether or not the person ranked or not. Shiro had no need for a third fire lizard, and he tried to tell the preening white.

"I hope you didn't go to any trouble on my account." He covered the egg again, hissing a little as the sand burned his fingers.

It's a good thing, Shiro. Gamora has her reasons. She needs you to make him understand.

"Make who understand? Lalauth, I don't understand what's going on!"

He was following her. Perfect. Gamora led him to the same small storeroom that Black had lured Shiro to. Her plan was going well.
Femisis
Candidate

Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:05 am

Following the 'lizard into the storeroom, Keith didn't expect to find another person, a Bronzerider by his knots. He didn't have anything against them, but this entire scenario was getting weirder by the minute. "I, uh, think this Green belongs to you," he said awkwardly, looking between Gamora and Shiro with a bewildered look on his face. "I'll let you get back to... whatever this is..." Standing around a pot apparently. This was way too weird for him.
Fort Weyr
Shigure of Blue Cyaleth
Akira of Green Auruth
Candidate Gaelio
High Reaches Weyr
Cesare of Brown Fuuth
Y'su of Blue Brenlosath
Candidate Keith
Semaca Weyr
Crowe of White Eclith
Soran of White Qanth
Karaze of Blue Karask
thefaeriesfyre
Peacekeeper

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:45 pm

Gamora touched down on Shiro's shoulder, curling her tail around his neck with a self-satisfied trill. She fixed the other boy with an expectant look. Black rose from her perch on the clay pot, flying an easy loop around bronze rider and candidate.

"I can't believe this is my life," Shiro mumbled, rubbing a hand over his face. The shape of the fire lizards' plot was beginning to fall into place, and he still didn't like it. Why did Gamora like this candidate enough to go to this much trouble? Shiro thought he looked like a candidate he'd known at the tail end of Golre's reign, but it was hard to tell for sure. Shiro had been kept away from his fellow candidates by then, and the terror of being trotted out for violent hatchlings put a damper on his memories of that time.

"I'm Shiro, this troublemaker is Gamora, and I think this is supposed to be for you." Gamora preened when her name was said, and she chirped innocently. Shiro indicated the clay pot with a twisted smile. This egg was packed in hot sand, it was clearly meant for someone. Who, he might never know. It wasn't like Black was willing to give him answers. His oldest friend indeed!

I told you it was going to be a good thing.
Femisis
Candidate

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:30 pm

"Oh... well, nice to meet you, Shiro... I think. Gamora too. I'm Keith," he said, a bit bewildered. What exactly was going on here...? "What exactly is "this"?" He queried as he lifted the lid off the pot and shifted hot sand aside. He reeled a bit in shock as his hand found the curve of a shell, a large one by the feel of it. "A firelizard egg? For me? Why?" He was full of questions, questions Shiro likely didn't have the answer to.
Fort Weyr
Shigure of Blue Cyaleth
Akira of Green Auruth
Candidate Gaelio
High Reaches Weyr
Cesare of Brown Fuuth
Y'su of Blue Brenlosath
Candidate Keith
Semaca Weyr
Crowe of White Eclith
Soran of White Qanth
Karaze of Blue Karask
thefaeriesfyre
Peacekeeper

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Gamora took off from Shiro's shoulder with a lash of her tail and landed on the floor without her usual grace. She treated Keith to a terrific lecture of chirps and trills, sounding remarkably like a kitchen auntie scolding a foolhardy charge. Gamora was usually the quieter of the two, unless she found a fight, and Shiro didn't think he'd ever heard her make so much sound in her life.

Shiro ventured his guess in the silence that followed, the one that Lalauth wouldn't confirm or deny. "I think," he began, glancing at Black to verify himself, "this means that Gamora wants you to have, ah, supervision." A baby fire lizard would not make a good chaperone, and wasn't there some sort of difficulty Impressing a fire lizard while a candidate? Shiro wouldn't know, he'd come to the weyr with Black and Impressed Gamora after he and Lalauth were no longer weyrlings.
Femisis
Candidate

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:54 pm

"I-what? I do not need any forsking supervision!" Least of all at the behest of a firelizard. He was fully capable of taking care of himself thank you very much. Still, he felt a bit bad for taking it out on Shiro. It wasn't his fault his firelizard had gone rogue, though this was indeed a very elaborate setup. "Look, I'm sorry. This isn't your fault," He said while rubbing the back of his head. "It's just... kinda weird, y'know? I'm not ungrateful, it's just weird being told by a firelizard that I need one...."
Fort Weyr
Shigure of Blue Cyaleth
Akira of Green Auruth
Candidate Gaelio
High Reaches Weyr
Cesare of Brown Fuuth
Y'su of Blue Brenlosath
Candidate Keith
Semaca Weyr
Crowe of White Eclith
Soran of White Qanth
Karaze of Blue Karask
thefaeriesfyre
Peacekeeper

Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:11 pm

Shiro rubbed the back of his neck with his bad hand, a nervous tell. His tone was light, though. "Hard to argue with that. They don't make particularly good chaperones, either."

For fun, mischief sort of things, a fire lizard was hard to beat. They seemed to have a slight tendency to be flighty, no matter the color, and they couldn't lift much. For serious, keep-an-eye-on-this-one type things? Gamora might pull it off, but Black was a better bet. Black had been with him longer, and was more generally protective of him. He still wouldn't assign a fire lizard to look after a candidate.

"For what it's worth, they blindsided me, too," he offered, tucking his hand in the small of his back. "Maybe we can-" sneak it back where it belongs went unsaid when Black trilled. Shiro looked at her, train of thought lost, and his jaw dropped.

"Or it could start rocking."
Femisis
Candidate

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:16 pm

Keith blanched as the egg started to rock, a tell tale sign it was hatching. So much for trying to return it. " Forsk, it's gonna hatch... We need food. Meat. Something." Shiro was the expert here, surely he would know what to do, right? Keith had never had a 'lizard before and he honestly wasn't sure what to do next. Should they hold the egg? Wait for the baby to crawl out of the sand? "Is there a manual for this?"
Fort Weyr
Shigure of Blue Cyaleth
Akira of Green Auruth
Candidate Gaelio
High Reaches Weyr
Cesare of Brown Fuuth
Y'su of Blue Brenlosath
Candidate Keith
Semaca Weyr
Crowe of White Eclith
Soran of White Qanth
Karaze of Blue Karask
thefaeriesfyre
Peacekeeper

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:12 pm

It took Gamora a minute to realize that the egg was rocking, but as soon as she realized that Keith's protests had turned into surprise, she sprang into action. She directed Shiro's attention away from the egg and towards the-

The bowl of meat chunks, cut small enough not to choke even the smallest white hatchling, sitting on a shelf at waist height. The smell hadn't had enough time to permeat the little store room, which told Shiro that someone had helped them set all this up, and it hadn't been that long ago, either. He turned to the one who could feasibly give him answers.

Who helped them? An egg pot is too heavy for a fire lizard, and there's just meat sitting here? There had to be a human involved.

Lalauth smirked at him without words, which was quite the feat when she wasn't even visible from here. He would have to get to the bottom of this later, after... all of this. Shiro lifted the bowl of meat off the shelf with his good hand and brought it to the center of the action. He knelt next to the egg, set the bowl down, and extended his good hand in invitation.

"I've been through this twice, so unless this egg has twins I think you'll be fine." Black preened from her new perch on Shiro's shoulder, rubbing her headknobs against his jaw in a reminder of affection.
Femisis
Candidate

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:11 pm

This just kept getting weirder and weirder. There was meat set up, too? Someone had to have helped get this together, but who? Shiro was too surprised to have had a hand in this, unless he was a fantastic actor... but the rider didn't seem like that kind of person. Shrugging, he took Shiro's hand and sat down beside the other man once he'd pulled the pot into his lap. "Guess we don't have a choice in the matter, huh?" Keith asked with amused resignation in his voice. He could always poke his head out of the storeroom and ask who wanted a 'lizard, but it was rude to re-gift something, especially a living creature. Besides, he'd become attached to the idea in the short span of time he'd been here.
Fort Weyr
Shigure of Blue Cyaleth
Akira of Green Auruth
Candidate Gaelio
High Reaches Weyr
Cesare of Brown Fuuth
Y'su of Blue Brenlosath
Candidate Keith
Semaca Weyr
Crowe of White Eclith
Soran of White Qanth
Karaze of Blue Karask
thefaeriesfyre
Peacekeeper

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Shiro did not squawk.

He was nearly thirty Turns old, a survivor of tyranny, and a full bronze rider. He fought Thread on a regular basis. It took more than a cute boy taking his hand to fluster him.

Who was he kidding? Shiro maybe should have thought that last move through a little better, because his brain short circuited. Lalauth laughed at him, which was just several different kinds of unfair. She was supposed to be on his side! He flushed a dull red.

"Uh-" Smooth, Shiro. So smooth. Black poked his ear with her tail. He swatted at her with his bad hand before setting the bowl of meat next to Keith. "You, uh, need this." The blush spread to his ears. His face felt like it was on fire.
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux