Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

[EVENT] Tunnels

To one side of the cliffs, weyr caves built into the rock gaze out over a warm, sandy desert; on the other, caves can look upon the lush but dangerous treetops of the jungle below. Either way, home is where the heart is.
Arcane
Red Star Warning

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:54 pm

[EVENT] Tunnels

Someone's been digging a tunnel into the weyr walls. Where exactly are trying to get into with that?
Fort
Essa of Bronze Gectusith
Wingleader S'bor of Bronze Yugoth
ACM Estelle of Brown Jaehaeryth
Faralyn of Brown Grooth
Ieyasu of Brown Ieyask
Weyrling P'pin of Brown Palath
T'rin of Brown Celeth
G'er of Garnet Neozeoth
Lily of Garnet Eridieth
Relli of Garnet Rellivask and Blue Relsk
Augury of Blue Velveth
Chrysanthe of Blue Bidath
Lord Consort Corleon of Blue Corleosk (Fort Hold)
Gellera of Blue Virtrath
Miryem of Blue Riwenth
Thor of Blue Hinokath
Wingsecond L'ir of Green Byth
Rhea of Green Rheask
S'atyl of Green Nineveth
Makoto of White Usakinth
Weyrling Riku of White Taissath
Wingsecond Tyrion of White Voluntauth
Candidate Quinn
Weyrbrat Norelli
High Reaches
Elyron of Gold Elysk and Green Elyrosk
Hela of Bronze Helsk and Brown Hesk
Sr. Flightleader Schneizel of Bronze Damocleth
Azul of Brown Claarisath
Di'a of Brown Kasshuth
Weyrling Dobby of Brown Kersuth
Wingleader Myalla of Brown Enarth
Weyrling Th'ou of Brown Pavith
Wingsecond D'ark of Garnet Masreith
Eliza of Garnet Riaath
Squadsecond Tomas of Garnet Tomask and White Tsk
Allura of Blue Sendaith
Weyrling Master Camilla of Blue Kamuith
Jae of Blue Zappath
Sandy of Blue Rugrunth
Tamara of Blue Requeth
Jr. Wherleader Zhuli of Blue Zhusk
Ailee of Green Suventh
Kanon of Green Kibeth
Kip of Green Amizuth
Numann of Green Rannath
Sokka of Green Wintrath
Semaca Weyr
Arena of Void Oscamith
Alayna of Gold Wyzeth
Al'bus of Bronze Matanuth
Noor of Bronze Nuunieth
Weyrling Hermione of Brown Echoneth
Sage of Brown Wisketoth
Shuri of Brown Motath
Varda of Brown Magmeth
Ly'nk of Garnet Sakuyath
Maui of Garnet Mausk and Blue Mask (W)
Uruk of Garnet Georsath
Anoni of Blue Cermurith
Artemis of Blue Phoebuth
Candidatemaster Naxen of Blue Anitoth
Point Rigel of Blue Cygneth
Ya'ra of Blue Dymrith
Ariel of Green Kshatriyath
Captain Vella of Green Vellask and Magma Vesk
V'rell of Green Peridoth
Wyatt of Green Emilith
Aeris of White Tarth
Kowal of White Kowalsk
R'tan of White Mazath
Steward Molly
ladyweathervain
Weyrling

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:42 pm

"...Hmmm."

As a mere candidate, this was NOT Ollie's wheelhouse. BUT as a former Holdless, it really was. He was smaller and a lot faster than most. With a torch, he could probably explore this tunnel, no problem. Besides, he'd been BORN in a cave! So far it looked structurally sound...

"What do you think? Dare me to go in?"
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Candidate Lou
Candidate Lazu
Candidate Zul
SEMECA
Carol of Blue Carsk
Manuel of Garnet Minevath
Candiate Theo
Candidate Ollie
HIGH REACHES
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Lars of Bronze Scabellath
Candidate Hans
Candidate Orpheus
Candidate Ganymede
Fel
Thread Fighter

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:10 am

Ordinarily, B'yko would have said absolutely not, he wasn't going to encourage a child to go exploring a possibly dangerous tunnel to Faranth knew where. But nothing since he'd come to Semaca had been ordinary, and besides: Majima might want a report on who was digging tunnels, and why.

Plus, he was just curious.

"Sure!" He grinned at the Candidate. He'd half expected to have to bribe him with food—that was how children worked, right?—but he'd even volunteered on his own. "I can follow behind, of you like. Or stand guard."
ladyweathervain
Weyrling

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:30 am

Ollie didn't know this guy but he seemed legit. "Okay so I'm gonna need a torch and uh..." He traveled a few feet into the tunnels, peeking into the darkness. "MAYBE a couple boards to bolster the place up. I'm not sure how secure the tunnel is ahead."

He pulled back, scratching his head. "You can stay out here if you want, but if I start yelling for you to come in, I hope you come in." He grinned. "M'Ollie by the way. Give me like. Two seconds to get supplies. I'll get this place investigated, no problem."
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Candidate Lou
Candidate Lazu
Candidate Zul
SEMECA
Carol of Blue Carsk
Candiate Theo
Candidate Ollie
HIGH REACHES
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Candidate Hans
Candidate Orpheus
Candidate Ganymede
Fel
Thread Fighter

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:28 pm

B'yko frowned. "A torch? Aren't glows safer? Less likely to accidentally burn something?" Back at High Reaches, he would never have dreamed of using a torch unless he needed to illuminate a large area. Wood was just too valuable to burn for so little gain when glows were plentiful. And sure, the fungus didn't grow particularly well at Semaca, but other Weyrs had kept them well stocked.

"I'm B'yko. My dragon's Glyciniath, but he can be... shy."
ladyweathervain
Weyrling

Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Ollie would return the frown. "Oh yeah Im supposed to go into a strange dark tunnel without something to defend myself with. Smart." he snorted. "Beasts and people alike know fire is dangerous. Only people know daggers are dangerous. what a moron. But he was probably a holder and never had to explore caves like he had as a child.

"Ollie. Whercandidate. Sorta." he pulled back. "Gimmie a moment. Ill be right back." it wouldnt take long for him to find or at least fashion a torch with some wood and old cloth scraps, and come back...
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Candidate Lou
Candidate Lazu
Candidate Zul
SEMECA
Carol of Blue Carsk
Candiate Theo
Candidate Ollie
HIGH REACHES
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Candidate Hans
Candidate Orpheus
Candidate Ganymede
Fel
Thread Fighter

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:29 pm

B'yko was fairly certain that the kid was more likely to burn his own face than find anything he'd actually have to scare off with fire, especially since he didn't think spotties could dig tunnels. He hoped. They couldn't, right?

However, he had other concerns, like the fact that this kid was somehow old enough to be a wher candidate. B'yko would have assumed he wasn't even fifteen were it not for the Candidate knots, but at least seventeen? How was that even possible? Maybe he'd misheard.

"Wher Candidate? And what do you mean, sort of?"
ladyweathervain
Weyrling

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:56 pm

"I have stuff that interfers with me being a candidate. you heard me right though." he replied, not looking at him as he worked to light up the torch. "and unless youre a mindhealer, its not your business." ollie didmt think anyone but a mindhealer needed to KNOW about his somewhat embarrassing gender issues.

He felt around, making sure he had a dagger for protection... "So unless youre planning on helping me bring up the rear, you can wait out here and come in if I call for someone."
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Candidate Lou
Candidate Lazu
Candidate Zul
SEMECA
Carol of Blue Carsk
Candiate Theo
Candidate Ollie
HIGH REACHES
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Candidate Hans
Candidate Orpheus
Candidate Ganymede
Fel
Thread Fighter

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:46 pm

B'yko shrugged. He'd find out anyway. He always did. Nothing was his business, but he'd always find out. For Majima, if not for his own rampant curiousity. And if Semaca was letting people with personal issues be sort-of Candidates, then Majima really did need to know.

"I'll follow behind. Whatever's through there, I'd like to see it with my own eyes too."
ladyweathervain
Weyrling

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:41 pm

"alright. Ill take point. Make sure you dont let too much fall off the walls and ceiling." it was SUCH a bad idea to let someone unversed in this into a tight space. But Ollie trusted himself and his abilities to lead him. His advice was a rookie one, since peoples instincts were to stand in the face of trouble or knock loose gravel away so they had more space...

Ollie crawled in, making sure the place wasnt too unstable... and surprisingly it seemed pretty ok. A couple of support sticks here and there... Ollie wasnt entirely SURE of the stone structure of Semeca but it didnt seem too trecherous. It wasnt too sandy or gritty, and solid at least...

He crawled with the torch at arms length from him, allowing him to see and also keep the torch between him ans anything that might be in there. While it was unlikely anything too dangerous had gotten IN, it wasnt like they knew how OLD the tunnel was. If he needed to back out, the torch would serve as a barrier between it and him... he would back directly into the dragonrider but still.
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Candidate Lou
Candidate Lazu
Candidate Zul
SEMECA
Carol of Blue Carsk
Candiate Theo
Candidate Ollie
HIGH REACHES
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Candidate Hans
Candidate Orpheus
Candidate Ganymede
Fel
Thread Fighter

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:32 pm

"Don't let..." B'yko trailed off. Right, well not doing anything that might bring the tunnel down around them was probably smart. And if it did start to collapse... Well. He'd been gathering information, just as Majima had ordered him to. He'd done as he was told, and at least someone might remember him for it.

"Any ideas where this leads yet?" he asked after a couple of minutes of crawling.
ladyweathervain
Weyrling

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:43 pm

"Nope." ollie replied, sounding only a little strained. "but this tunnel is maybe like. Big enough for someone your size to squeeze through. Pretty comfortable for me. So whoever it was, it was probably an adult or someone averaged sized."

Of course these things, as a cave born boy, were obvious. He had helped dig tunnels before, though not through rock like this. Mostly through looser material, more sandy... this just made his heart clench in nostalgia. Reminded him of his tunnelsnaking days as a younger child...

So far no beasts. Just as well. That meant either someone had been here recently or theyd just done a good job at keeping pests out. Though he wasnt... familiar with the local pests at Semeca. No end of the tunnel yet either. And the construction was getting sloppier and sloppier as they crawled on... or so it would seem. At least they were keeping up with struts...
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Candidate Lou
Candidate Lazu
Candidate Zul
SEMECA
Carol of Blue Carsk
Candiate Theo
Candidate Ollie
HIGH REACHES
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Candidate Hans
Candidate Orpheus
Candidate Ganymede
Fel
Thread Fighter

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:40 pm

B'yko nodded, though the boy in front of him couldn't possibly see it. It made sense to him: he certainly wouldn't dig a tunnel any larger than was absolutely necessary given the hard physical labor it involved. And he was a fairly average sized man, so it had almost been another adult.

"Makes sense to me."

Which only made the question more pressing: why had anyone done such a ridiculous thing?
ladyweathervain
Weyrling

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:08 pm

"This doesnt SEEM too long. No way anyone would be able to keep this secret for long, unless they did more to hide the entrance. So this cant be too far in."

Ollie knew enough to get this across... tunneling like THIS was mostly the work of sneaky people, or people unsure of the integrity of the rock.

It wasnt long before they arrived at the end of the tunnel... and found the ceiling was different? "Hold on..." he pushed up on whatever was above... and felt like there was something slightly heavy on the wood?

He blew out the torch, digging it into the stone and grit under them so he could crawl up and give his new companion room. "Theres something here. Help me push it up, yeah?" it didnt feel too heavy. But he didnt want to let this weirdo nothing to do...
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Candidate Lou
Candidate Lazu
Candidate Zul
SEMECA
Carol of Blue Carsk
Candiate Theo
Candidate Ollie
HIGH REACHES
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Candidate Hans
Candidate Orpheus
Candidate Ganymede
Fel
Thread Fighter

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:56 pm

B'yko was a talented informant, not someone who was especially brawny. Really, being asked to move things was a waste of his capacity. But on the other hand, this kid didn't know he worked for Majima, and he was definitely the bigger of the two of them. By a rather large margin.

"Yeah, I'll help," he replied, squeezing forward in the tunnel to get a good angle. It was awkward, and he had to crouch a big while bracing his side against the side of the tunnel, but he was able to get himself positioned under it.

"Ready?"
Next
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux