Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

EW-NA's Literary Word Piles

A place to put drabbles, one-shots, theme challenges, letters to other characters, and other assorted in-character bits.
EW-NA
Weyrfolk

Sat May 22, 2021 2:20 am

EW-NA's Literary Word Piles

Creature of Habit

Aaahhh, come on, Drask... surely it won't be so different!

Despite her attempt at optimism, Daedra was met with quite a loud grumble from the wher. Not his usual day to day rumbling, but an intentional and quite displeased verbal response. That alone was enough to make her pause where she was as her expression fell a bit.

Drask was clomping the small space of their shared weyr with purpose. He moved from one space to the next, without pause or hint of stopping. His small redhaired handler had originally been tagging along behind his hulking frame, but she found herself now stranded in place as he continued to wander.

Perhaps it was akin to pacing, but she did not know Drask to 'pace' like a human would. He almost appeared like he was looking for something, or perhaps checking the area. It was not uncommon for him to wander a select area they were in, during their time living outside of society. He liked to check things, account for where he was and what was around. Part of her wondered if it was that behavior resurfacing slightly; the brown checking over the territory that he knew belonged to him.

It did make sense with the topic they were discussing.

I'm sure Xander's weyr will be an even bigger than ours right now! Doesn't that sound great?” Daedra once more worked her usually plucky enthusiasm up in hopes of winning Drask's favor. “--And we'll be bringing all of our things, so we won't have to give anything up!

Not that she or Drask had much in question. A smile pile of clothing and some odds and ends. Of course, they definitely had a lot more than ever before, which seemed natural with a more stable living arrangement. In fact, she was sure this was the first time Drask had ever had something material that was strictly 'his'.

You can bring every one of your favorite blankets-- Xander said so.

That got the wher to stop his wandering, but not in the way she hoped. Drask suddenly turned his head to her and grumbled loudly again, gnashing his large teeth in a clattery fashion. Then, with a swift turn, he hustled to his folded blanket pile and, somehow defiantly, grabbed the lot of them within his mouth and hurriedly started dragging them across the floor.

Daedra couldn't help but stare with wide eyes, unable to fathom his sudden unusual behavior. The small woman watched as the wher hurried again, pulling his prized collection to his usual sleeping spot in the center of the weyr. With practiced ease, Drask arranged his precious treasures before burrowing himself under their various colors and patterns so that all was visible of him was the end of his girth-y brown tail. With a final 'whuff' heard from deep within the bowels of the cloth cave, everything fell to silence.

For once, Daedra was at a loss as to what this all meant. Generally, Drask seemed annoyed as a general mood, but she'd never seen him like this. He wasn't quite enraged angry; she knew that, but he was definitely more frustrated than the norm.

But then why?

That was the question that she could not come up with an immediate answer for... and that worried her. The obvious assumption would be that Drask was not fond of the Junior Weyrleader. Daedra knew neither of them were on 'great' terms currently... but Daedra knew Drask confidently enough to know that Xander specifically wasn't the problem. She was also fairly sure it wasn't her feelings and budding relationship with the man either.

Daedra had a great suspicion that the reason he was being like this... was because of her. And that made her chest tighten so painfully at the very thought.

The redhead looked over at the large mass under the blankets, her eyes saddened and missing any hopeful joy from before. With a sigh, Daedra slowly made her way over to his side, lowering onto her knees so she joined him on the floor.

... Drask.”

At first, the mass gave no response. However, the quiet and woeful tone of her voice quickly penetrated through all the layers of cloth, fur, and eventually down to the brown wher under it all. With some careful shifting, a massive brown head just barely peeked out from the blanket tunnel he'd created for himself, watching with cautious yellow eyes.

Daedra atleast managed a small smile at the sight before it feel again. She reached out a small hand to him, gently resting it where she knew his neck to be. His usual warmth penetrated through the many layers, comfortingly heating her hand as always.

I'm sorry, Drask,” she gently told him. “I suppose I've gone ahead and just made a lot of choices for the both of us recently... I have been the only one making all the decisions as of late.” A sigh escaped her, prompting a small bit of movement from the brown. “That isn't very fair to you. I'm not being a very good wherhandler like that...”

Her admissions roused the wher enough to sit up from his blanket pile. The numerous layers fell back and onto his back, as Drask reared his neck up to look to her. Daedra offered him a sad smile to see him emerge and moved closer. Wrapping her arms as best she could around him, the small woman buried her face against the side of his thick neck muscles.

It has always been and probably always would be the safest place she ever felt. Even when still with her mother, Drask's presence was always the one that made her feel like nothing could ever harm them. That as long as she had Drask, everything would turn out as it should...

It was not fair of her to just sideline him as she had, as her mind was focused on something new and exciting. This wasn't just for her...

Daedra stayed pressed to the wher for a few long moments, taking comfort in his warm presence and strength. As always, Drask did not protest and happily let her be. With a final squeeze in her grip, the redhead pulled away and shifted so he could see her directly better.

I promise I'll do my best not to exclude you as I did before, Drask. Neither of us are experts on living in a big Weyr like this, so who can say what is a right or wrong choice?

Drask let out a short snort from his nose. The sudden blast of air against her face made her giggle as it made her hair tickled.

I know it's too late to ask this, but are you really sure you're okay with us going to Xander's weyr now?”

Drask let out a louder sound, almost sounding like a cough to clear something wedged deep in his throat. However, Daedra knew it enough as a good response and practically squealed in joy and she got to her feet. The wher followed soon enough and begrudgingly pulled from his 'nest'.

“I promise it won't be bad. I bet we'll get used to it so quickly, we'll barely remember this weyr down the line.” Drask snorted at that but nothing more. Daedra was trying very hard to warm him to this further.

I know! How about the first thing we do is find the best place where you'd like to sleep? You get to decide first! And, I bet Xander could get you some new blankets, too! We'll find a nice place to keep them all for you to get whenever you want them! I just know this will be wonderful for all of us, Drask!

Regardless of his real feelings on the matter, Drask found he really couldn't cling to them much. Daedra was trying so very hard to make himself, and herself, and the other human so happy with all this. He found it hard to push against her in these situations, namely when he didn't have a set reason to do so. Overall, the wher found he was content with her attempts alone, and frankly... that would be acceptable.

For now.
Fort
Canditate Kami
High Reaches
Daedra of Brown Drask
Semaca
Lemuel
EW-NA
Weyrfolk

Mon May 24, 2021 11:20 pm

Better This Way

Drask was a wher that tried to not dwell on the past more than necessary. There was a fine balance of keeping learned lessons on hand, and letting oneself be too distracted to notice what lay ahead. He knew plenty of relatively fine whers that fell into such a trap and he had no intention of joining them. However, sometimes it was simply impossible to not take a moment to ponder on the days long passed.

There was plenty of time to do so while stuck in this massive Weyr, as he was currently.

It was at times like this, that he couldn't help but recall back to the days before. Before weyrs and humans and formations and schedules. Long before he was titled with something other beings could address him with.

He would think back to all sorts of things, but strangely, what he recalled most often was what he and his pack were always told. No matter the situation or strife, the response was always quite simple and expected:

-Better this way.

The brown could have never really been sure if that phrase had been the real truth of the matter or not. At the time, it always seemed so and it was hard to argue. There was some reassurance when it was stated so firmly, that there could be no doubt of it. When the phrase danced through his mind, it was impossible to not recall the one who usually proclaimed it as well. He very clearly remembered the gold, and how there had been very few whers in the pack that dared to challenge her. Matriarch in all ways, she was not to be questioned. It had not been out of tyranny or taken force. She'd earned her place and earned her knowledge, and any that tried to challenge her rite, was met with defeat in one fashion or another.

The brown could still conjure her image in his mind, even now.

She had not been the biggest or longest of whers. She was rather small in comparison to the lone matriarch that wandered the vast wilds, or even ones that chained themselves in human servitude. However, she had always been strong, unyielding, and unmovable. Within the group, she ruled with wisdom and experience; to outsiders – her rule was enforced with bite and claw.

The humans that saw crowned her as One Wing, and other packs knew her as Bone-Breaker. Both titles described her well, mixed among the mantle of scars and blemishes she toted through her long turns.

And, the brown always remembered how her response to almost anything was the inevitable outcome was simply: Better this way.

Whether it was through intensely harsh terrain or following disastrous events that had plagued them. The gold simply assured them that of their path. Turn after turn, when their pack had been massive and practically owned their plains, through the constantly shifting seasons and threadfall...

-even when it was passed her times to clutch anymore, and many chose to break away for their own. He could recall her commanding spirit, even when their numbers dwindled down to a mere two. A withering gold with a limp and a hardy, stubborn brown.

Better this way.

They pushed on regardless, onward as always, until the very end. Through the noxious black mud fields, where the gold had inevitably chosen to remain for perpetuity, she still pushed him onward despite that. Regardless of his desires or feelings on the matter, the brown had no choice but to push ahead. She knew, for him, it would be better that way. Why should the brown question her right at the end, when he had never really before?

It took him a time to accept it. Things did not last forever. They changed, through cycles of flourished thriving and steady wilting, until they came back anew to start over. The brown may have been alone, but it would not be so forever. Despite his efforts for an extended amount of time.

When he had such thoughts, Drask couldn't help but ponder them in the quiet air. Thinking back to all that had happened and where he had been... to where he was now. Was it--

The cogs in his brain stopped turning as the sound of footsteps and door-slamming drew his attention. Drask drew his head up, noting Daedra suddenly scurrying into the weyr. As always, she was bright and cheery as she practically bounced over to him. It was minor but he could always see how her face lit up when she looked to him.

“I'm sorry I took so long, Drask. Did you have a nice nap?”

The wher only stretched and offered a large yawn in reply. Obviously a confirmation for her, before he steadily got to his feet.

I bet you're hungry! Why don't we get you something to eat now that I'm done with my errands! Come on now, let's go!”

Drask gave his brown hide a good shake, letting all his folds and flaps shift into a comfortable place. Once content, he happily made his way after the small woman, letting her shut the door behind him.

--Better this way.
Fort
Canditate Kami
High Reaches
Daedra of Brown Drask
Semaca
Lemuel
EW-NA
Weyrfolk

Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:02 am

[TW: Sad thoughts on what-ifs]

Untitled until I think of one

Now that spring had made its way to High Reaches, Daedra thought to do something she'd never been in the practice of doing before: Spring Cleaning!

Not to say that the young woman wasn't in the practice of keeping things tidy, but she'd never really had enough personal possessions that could accumulate to the point of needing to be being in 'storage'. Everything had been minimal; always used as it was useful, and even when it wasn't, it could be made useful as a trade or something else.

She hadn't minded that way of life, really... However, things were different now! She had a handful of different outfits and not simply based on what the weather called for. And she had a place with shelves to store them in! She had shoes and other items that could be stored elsewhere, too. Those were all things that could warrant the need for a spring cleaning!

... Though, she supposed barely a Turn of having a personal weyr, and even less of that time sharing one with another person, would let her accumulate enough to really justify the task. She still found the idea amusing enough to try. Perhaps simply getting into the habit of it would be a good enough reason to start~

So that was how she chose to spend her afternoon, settled on her knees before the dresser, meticulously taking out each item inside and setting them around her on the floor to inspect. It would let her get a real look over everything, and perhaps rearrange them in some fashion. For the moment, her blue eyes were only going to focus on her own items. While she was sure Xander wouldn't mind her looking through his clothing, Daedra was adamant to not overstep her boundaries. They may have been weyrmates, but Xander was fully entitled to what he wished to keep and what he didn't on his own. He'd been kind enough to make so much room for her and Drask already!

Speaking of the brown wher, Daedra paused and looked over her shoulder when she heard the loud, skin-flopping tune of Drask giving himself a good face-shake. As he stepped into the room, he noticed her on the floor, surrounded by a collection of... things. No doubt a silly human event, but he approached, curious none the less. Daedra beamed at him happily as he dropped to his bottom in close proximity.

"I'm spring cleaning," the redhead proudly declared, before turning so she could hold up a folded blouse. "When spring arrives, you're supposed to go through all your belongings, and see what things you can do without! So you can make room for new things," she went on to explain.

Drask only snorted at the concept. Humans did seem to like collecting things, though he supposed it was a 'Weyr' thing, too. Afterall, he was very fond of his blankets and---

The brown suddenly jerked up and sent a look towards the much smaller woman. Daedra blinked in confusion when she noticed his almost displeased and uneasy expression. It was only when he snorted and looked to his pile of folded 'treasures' by his corner, did she immediately understand.

"Oh, don't worry, Drask," she soothed to him. "You won't have to give up your blankies! Spring cleaning is for things you don't use or want anymore, and you clearly use and want your blankets, so they stay! I'm only going through my own things anyway," Daedra chirped cheerfully, showing him the blouse in her two hands.

"Look at this! This was the shirt I was wearing when we first came to High Reaches," the redhead exclaimed, clearly feeling the detail to be important. "I haven't really used it since then, as they gave me new clothes to use. I suppose I could try and make an effort to wear it a bit more now. I think spring cleaning could be a good excuse to look fondly over things, too!"

To illustrate her point, Daedra shifted the folded lump of fabric, letting it fall open enough so she could really see it. However, another bit of material fell from it. Both she and Drask turned their gaze down as it hit the floor. At first, the redhead panicked, thinking it was part of the blouse that had been ravaged by cloth-eaters. When she looked closer, Daedra could see it was a made completely different from her blouse.

Daedra set the shirt aside and picked up the dropped item, realizing it to be a handkerchief. As she held it, the color and pattern of the weave suddenly flooded her with the realization of what it was, her fingers pressing into the little bit of cloth. It wasn't something that had originally belonged to her.

"Oh... I remember this," Daedra said quietly, eyes low and focused on the little square of fabric. Drask looked up towards his handler, waiting for her to explain, as he didn't follow her logic. It seemed like a scrap... junk.

"This belonged to Mother," she explained, a smile fondly pulling at her lips, though it fell soon enough when her eyes turned sad. "She made the little flowers in the corners. I remember her using this to tie up and hold things."

Daedra wasn't sure why she had it. She'd had a few of her own over the years, a number of them getting lost or tearing to an unfixable state. Her mother almost never had need to replace her own, but always made sure Daedra had when she was without one. As she tried to ponder the answer, the memory suddenly hit her, clearly replaying in her head as if the memory were recent.

"... It fell in a puddle."

Confused at the statement, Drask looked up and turned his gaze to Daedra. She was still looking over the thing in her hand, holding it open, taut between her fingers. Drask was taken aback at the sudden wash of sadness that seemed to have doused the room.

"It was the last day she walked with us on our way to High Reaches.... We stopped on the side of a road, so we could take a break and-- and check we had everything." There was a slight crack in Daedra's voice, her emotions overtaking her as she spoke on. Drask could only silently sit and watch her, however, with each word she uttered, the wher found the memory coming back to him as well, vaguely.

"She was--- she spoke so calmly that day. It was like it didn't bother her at all. I remember trying so hard to be cheerful that day--- for her. Because I knew she wanted me to be cheerful and smiling... Mother acted like it was just going to be a short trip for us, like when we used to go to the Hold markets while she stayed behind. I saw the handkerchief fall from her hand and hit a road puddle... It was all wet and dirty when I picked it up, but I guess in my mind, I thought I would just return it to her later... when we were done... when we---"

Drask noticed how Daedra cut her words then. His eyes lowered to the handkerchief in her hand, clean and neat, as if the event she described never happened. The wher felt a bothersome ache in his chest, as he joined her in reminisce. He may not have been bonded to the older female human as he had to Daedra, but she was included in his pack companionship. She belonged there, without argument, and Drask could admit he had been saddened greatly from the departure. Not merely a residual bout from Daedra's own sorrow, he had his own as well.

Daedra's vision suddenly blurred as she stared longer at the handkerchief. She made a small whimper, as she used the back of her arm to wipe at her eyes. Drask continued to simply sit silently, a companion beside her, as always. He was not one for verbal sorrows himself.

Eventually, the small woman let out a weary breath, her lips trembling as she tried to stay composed. "I wonder... how she'd doing..." the redhead asked, not expecting a real answer.

"I hope she's doing well... I wonder how she managed this past winter... if she thinks of us... You know, I just realized... I haven't thought of her much, until this point."

There was an unfamiliar tone in Daedra's voice. Drask found his eyes returning to her, a bit surprised at the subtle thing he'd caught: a remorseful bitterness. He watched as the woman's face contorted tightly in pain, trying to fight against the emotions ripping at her chest. Drask knew her statement wasn't entirely true. The wher knew Daedra had thought of her parent plenty since arriving... It was just that she had never let herself be this sad about it... So focused on getting herself and him situated in the inner workings of this place. Of fulfilling her last promise to her parent.

"M-Mother is all--- all alone now! She... she has no one. We're here... and I don't even know where she is now... "

Despite her efforts, Daedra could not hold herself back anymore. She let out a woeful cry, as tears suddenly streamed along her cheeks like overflowing rivers. Daedra buried her face into the handkerchief, the only viable thing she could manage to replicate her mother's missing presence. A presence she had never been without until coming here... the presence she knew even before Drask... long before Xander. The comforting family she had known since before she could remember anything tangible...

The reality of that fact hit her so brutally then. The moment she allowed herself to really think on it, to feel it and realize it, in full. Daedra would likely never be able to return the cloth back to her mother; what her mind had so foolishly made her think originally. There would be no happy reunions or new memories to make. It was now only the memories she had, and if she did not think of them enough or forget them.... that was it.

There had been a time, upon arriving to High Reaches, that Daedra hoped she would hate the Weyr. That the place would be awful and not accept them, and she and Drask could leave and go back to how they lived before. They could find her Mother easily and go far, far away and enjoy the rest of their days. Despite the harshness of it, they would endure and be together - all three of them.

But, that had not been what happened. High Reaches had accepted her and the brown immediately. Daedra quickly grew to enjoy being in the Weyr; she enjoyed the people and the other whers and the dragons. She liked the routines and the work and the rewards that came with it. She met Xander and realized it would be impossible for her to ever leave him, to be away from his side more than necessary.

The realization of who she loved in the Weyr and who she loved outside of it could never... ever meet. Separated forever other than what her faulty human memory allowed.

It made her utterly weep.

Crumpling forward to the floor, body curled in a tight ball as she began to soak the handkerchief with her tears. Daedra wailed in utter sorrow. She wept as she understood there had been nothing else she could have done, and she wept because she was unsure if there was anything she could do. She wept... and she wept.

Drask still sat beside her, his neck and body hanging low, as he met with and understood her agony. He intended to sit quietly beside her, though it pained him to keep listening. He would keep watch over his handler; he would be sad but he would wait for her.

Until she was ready and back to herself again. However, Daedra continued to weep. From the constant eyes and judgements of the Weyr, while Xander worked unaware in his office, far down the halls...

Daedra wept.
Fort
Canditate Kami
High Reaches
Daedra of Brown Drask
Semaca
Lemuel
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux