Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

All the News [Phlox]

Dragon
Candidate

Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:00 pm
  • Link

All the News [Phlox]

"I've heard that there are wher eggs," Renkestuous said excitedly. He had just transferred down to Semaca, so even though Ren wasn't going for a wher he was definitely very much worked up about the presence of any eggs in the Weyr. Even firelizard eggs were an exciting thing for Renkestuous! But then again, it didn't take that much to excite him.

Ren had been Standing for five turns now, and he was looking forward to continuing to try to Impress until it happened. He was going to be a dragonrider, just like his father! But he was still excited for the other candidates and wherhandlers who were going to be trying to Impress the wher eggs. "It's a big deal, isn't it?" he said to the random candidate he'd cornered for this conversation. "I hope that the Hatching goes well."
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrfolk

Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:18 pm
  • Link

Quentin stared at the other candidate who had approached them out of the blue and started a conversation with them. Inside they were panicking that they didn't know the name that went with the only vaguely familiar face from lessons. For once, they didn't have to stare down to hold a conversation. Well, if you could call their interactions conversations.

Quentin nodded. "I heard there were eggs, too. Any hatching is a big deal," they added. Admittedly, they were quite excited for the hatching, even though they weren't a wher candidate themselves. They hoped they'd get to catch glimpses of the newly hatched whers around the weyr before they got too big. They loved animals, and babies especially.

Not knowing what else to say, Quentin started fidgeting with their hands and continued to nod gently, waiting to see if the other candidate would let them leave now.
Dragon
Candidate

Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:04 pm
  • Link

The fidgeting was completely lost on Renkestuous. The big, scarred candidate was actually taller than Ren, something that was not terribly common, but the curly-haired boy didn't do more than notice that in passing.

"It is a big deal," he agreed. "I'm Renkestuous by the way," the wiry candidate said. He was so eager to see where his life here in Semaca was going, and he couldn't help but think that having a hatching going on right after he got there - even if it was a wher hatching, not a dragon one - seemed like a good sign. Lucky. Auspicious!

"Whers are pretty neat, don't you think?" Renkestuous continued. "I mean, I'm definitely going to be a dragonrider, but they're still neat! Even if they can't fly."
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrfolk

Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:56 am
  • Link

"Quentin," they responded simply. The other candidate was very excited and emotive. Quentin wondered how he was so fine with having his emotions so clearly on display for everyone to see. Then again, Renkestuous was also dressed is bright colors, so maybe he didn't mind the attention.

Quentin nodded at the question and spoke in their usual even tone, despite their own excitement. "I like whers, but I'm going to be a rider too." If Renkestuous was also set on being a rider, that meant they would be spending a lot of time together in their candidate lessons. Something about that realization made them simultaneously anxious and happy, though they couldn't pinpoint why.
Dragon
Candidate

Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:05 pm
  • Link

Renkestuous was not only wearing bright colors: he was in his favorite orange shirt with blue and yellow trim! He'd wanted fringe, too, but his mother had said that it might get in the way of his work as a candidate. Ren was a smart boy in some ways, but he had not even remotely considered that his mother was maybe trying to save others' eyes from the assault of his clothing.

"Nice to meet you, Quentin! I'm sure that we'll be friends." It was all the whip-thin boy could do not to hug the other candidate, but he had realized that not everyone liked spontaneous hugs from near-strangers and Quentin seemed a little bit standoffish.

He was glad that Quentin seemed to be of the same mind as him when it came to whers and dragons. "Exactly! Whers are amazing and are an important part of protecting Pern from the ravages of Thread! But they're not dragons." Dragons were superior because dragons could fly, and one day - one day soon! - Renkestuous was going to be on dragon back flying high and saving Pern!
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrfolk

Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:03 pm
  • Link

Friends. Quentin was slowly getting used to the idea of spending time with people that weren't their family, but there still were very few people they would consider a "friend." Maybe this skinny energetic boy would become one of those few with enough time.

They nodded in agreement as Renkestuous excitedly spoke. They continued to fidget with their hands, looking for something to say to contribute. Normally they were content to not say much, but they wanted to keep talking to Renkestuous as long as possible. "Do you, uh, have a color you're hoping for?" Quentin stumbled over their words as the spoke, but did manage to actually ask a question, a victory in of itself.
Dragon
Candidate

Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:23 pm
  • Link

There it was! Quentin asked what color Ren was hoping for and although he sort of stumbled over his words it was enough to really engage Renkestuous. "Blue! My pa flies blue up in Ista!" Renkestuous wanted to be just like his father, and was obviously a bit starstruck by the notion of riding blue. "I suppose a green or white would be almost as good, but I definitely want a blue! What about you, Quentin?" He cocked his head to the side, listening politely for the answer but also seeming as though he was nearly vibrating with energy.
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrfolk

Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:55 pm
  • Link

Quentin pondered the question for a moment, not realizing it was going to get turned back towards them so quickly. "I haven't thought about it much," they said carefully. It was true, their only concern was that they impressed, they didn't care much about the color it would be.

"I think I'd be happy with anything," they answered after some consideration. Quentin envied how easily Renkestuous had been able to answer. For so long, even just being a candidate was a long shot for them, so Quentin still hadn't put much thought into their future beyond wanting to impress. There were plenty of candidates who never bonded with a dragon, so they still just only hoped they were one of the lucky ones who would.
Dragon
Candidate

Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:16 pm
  • Link

Anything? Renkestuous got a little wide-eyed at that answer. He had such a specific vision of his future that he could not quite fathom the idea that Quentin might not be so set on what they wanted out of life. "Really, anything? Wow! I mean, I know I'll be happy with whatever I Impress, but I'm sure I'm going to Impress blue."

The fact that he might not Impress at all was lost on Renkestuous.

"So you really haven't thought about it at all?" he babbled on. "You just want to be a dragonrider and you haven't thought about what Wing you'll be in or anything like that?" There were only two proper Wings in Semaca, which meant that Renkestuous was going to be in Minuet, flying high!
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrfolk

Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:42 am
  • Link

Quentin shook their head. "Only a little bit. Not enough to decide." They were feeling even more nervous now. Renkestuous was so sure of himself and the path before him. He was even sure of the color he was going to impress. Was that normal? Quentin had spent so long fantasizing of being a rider, even being a candidate was nothing more than an unobtainable dream for them until recently. To suddenly be pursuing the path, it still didn't quite feel real.

Plus, Semaca had more options available to riders than other weyrs had. Quentin could be an explorer if they wanted, they just really weren't sure what they wanted beyond impressing and getting the opportunity to fly. "Do you know what wing you are going to join?" Perhaps asking the boy would illuminate some of the decision making to make Quentin's own process easier.
Dragon
Candidate

Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:17 am
  • Link

"Minuet!" Renkestuous answered excitedly. "I belong among the high flyers!" In Ren's mind, his future was set: he was going to Impress blue and he was going to join the Minuet Wing. Then he'd spend the rest of his life defending Pern from Thread!

He couldn't imagine not knowing how your future was going to go. Not having a plan. Renkestuous had been in possession of a plan for his life since before he'd been Searched. He'd always known he was going to be a bluerider one day in the highest flying Wing in the Weyr.

"Do you really not have a plan?" Renkestuous asked intently. "I mean, haven't you been wanting this for your whole life?"
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrfolk

Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:37 am
  • Link

Quentin shook their head. Renkestuous was so eager and sure of himself. Maybe that was normal for candidates to be so set in their path. It wouldn't be the first time that Quentin was different from the people around them.

"No, no plan," they said slowly, chewing on the words as they came out. "Yes, I've wanted this since I was small," they paused. They really had spent so many years just dreaming of flying and having a lifelong companion that they really hadn't put much consideration into anything beyond that. Even coming to Semaca was pure chance. It was where the caravan they joined were going, they hadn't picked the weyr themselves.

"It just didn't seem like it could happen to a farmhand like me." They hesitantly said. It still didn't seem like it could be reality for someone like Quentin, with humble roots and who could still barely read.
Dragon
Candidate

Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:21 pm
  • Link

Renkstuous was definitely both eager and confident. He was pretty awesome, after all. Also, Quentin being a farmhand explained a lot. "Ahhh ... see, I was born at Ista Hold, but my dad is a bluerider! His dragon, Oraneth, actually Searched me!" Oraneth was the first dragon that Renekstuous had ever seen, and the first one he had spoken to. The blue was very fond of his rider's son.

"So what about you? How did you go from being a farmhand to being a candidate at Semaca? I understand they don't really Search here." Renkestuous was honestly interested in Quentin's story. His own was so straight forward that Quentin's had to be more interesting!
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrfolk

Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:40 pm
  • Link

Quentin gave a small nod as Renkstuous explained his experiences. He had been searched by his own father's dragon. With a history like that, it was no wonder he was so confident in his own path. Riding must be in his family's blood.

"Well, um.." Quentin started, suddenly feeling panic overtaking them. They switched to signing. Do you know sign? It's easier for me to explain like this. They waited patiently for the boy to indicate if he understood or not. Hopefully they wouldn't have to give the explanation verbally.
Dragon
Candidate

Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:03 pm
  • Link

Blinking as Quentin switched to signing, Renkestuous took a moment to catch up with what was going on. He did know how to sign, thankfully! But he hadn't expected to see it from a candidate somehow. Quentin was just full of surprises.

"I can sign," he confirmed. "I understand it better than I actually sign though, so do you mind if I keep talking?"
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux