Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

Monochromatic [Madds]

Carefully shaped with the warm desert sands and high walls, the Hatching Hollow gives a chance for new life to begin!
Arcane
Red Star Warning

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:19 pm

Monochromatic [Madds]

Every egg was precious. They contained the future of the weyr and more importantly they contained DRAGONS. No egg was any specialer than any other. Arena knew that.

But she was still pretty sure Oscamith's eggs were the most perfect, precious eggs ever laid on all Pern. Her dragon was going to be a daddy. And Arena had a feeling he was going to be a good one.

"I...uh...brought you some juice. I wasn't really sure which kind you liked so...I brought all the ones they had," Arena said as she offered Manuel a few skins. This part she wasn't as sure about. She didn't know Manuel and she'd never really paid much attention to the human part of this whole clutching thing. What was the rider-of-the-father supposed to do anyway? They'd probably covered that in weyrling classes but she'd always drifted off when the topic moved away from dragons...

Hey, Minnie-bro! Hey, super-egg-bro, awesome-egg-bro, egg-bro...wait...is that egg-bro-awesome again? Well anyway...I found you a herdbeast. One of the ones that didn't run away during the flood. The beastcrafters prefer us hunting the lost ones but they're small and you have eggs so you should get the good ones, Oscamith asked, eyes whirling with mild distress as he turned around and lost track of his egg-greeting. He wanted to treat all the egg-bro's as the unique, special bro's he was sure they were...but they all kind of looked the same to him and every time he looked away, he forgot which was which. This good morning thing was proving harder than he'd expected. Hunting was easier. Maybe he should do more of that instead. Taking care of eggs seemed like hungry work.

Oh and there aren't any spotties right now. The Guard-bro's keep them away pretty well, but I'll keep looking too, Oscamith promised. The big spotties weren't fun like the little cat-bro's. He didn't think any HAD eaten a dragon egg but it seemed like something they would do. Since Minevath couldn't leave the sands, he'd just have to keep them away for her.
Fort
Essa of Bronze Gectusith
Weyrling Quinn of Bronze-White Louicyth
Wingleader S'bor of Bronze Yugoth
ACM Estelle of Brown Jaehaeryth
Faralyn of Brown Grooth
Ieyasu of Brown Ieyask
Weyrling P'pin of Brown Palath
T'rin of Brown Celeth
G'er of Garnet Neozeoth
Lily of Garnet Eridieth
Relli of Garnet Rellivask and Blue Relsk
Augury of Blue Velveth
Chrysanthe of Blue Bidath
Lord Consort Corleon of Blue Corleosk (Fort Hold)
Gellera of Blue Virtrath
Miryem of Blue Riwenth
Thor of Blue Hinokath
Wingsecond L'ir of Green Byth
S'atyl of Green Nineveth
Makoto of White Usakinth
Wingsecond Tyrion of White Voluntauth
Weyrbrat Norelli
High Reaches
Elyron of Gold Elysk and Green Elyrosk
Hela of Bronze Helsk and Brown Hesk
Sr. Flightleader Schneizel of Bronze Damocleth
Azul of Brown Claarisath
Di'a of Brown Kasshuth
Weyrling Dobby of Brown Kersuth
Wingleader Myalla of Brown Enarth
Weyrling Th'ou of Brown Pavith
Wingsecond D'ark of Garnet Masreith
Eliza of Garnet Riaath
Squadsecond Tomas of Garnet Tomask and White Tsk
Allura of Blue Sendaith
Weyrling Master Camilla of Blue Kamuith
Jae of Blue Zappath
Sandy of Blue Rugrunth
Tamara of Blue Requeth
Jr. Wherleader Zhuli of Blue Zhusk
Ailee of Green Suventh
Kanon of Green Kibeth
Kip of Green Amizuth
Numann of Green Rannath
Sokka of Green Wintrath
Riku of White Taissath
Semaca Weyr
Arena of Void Oscamith
Alayna of Gold Wyzeth
Al'bus of Bronze Matanuth
Noor of Bronze Nuunieth
Weyrling Hermione of Brown Echoneth
Sage of Brown Wisketoth
Shuri of Brown Motath
Varda of Brown Magmeth
Ly'nk of Garnet Sakuyath
Maui of Garnet Mausk and Blue Mask (W)
Uruk of Garnet Georsath
Anoni of Blue Cermurith
Artemis of Blue Phoebuth
Candidatemaster Naxen of Blue Anitoth
Point Rigel of Blue Cygneth
Ya'ra of Blue Dymrith
Ariel of Green Kshatriyath
Rhea of Green Rheask
Captain Vella of Green Vellask and Magma Vesk
V'rell of Green Peridoth
Wyatt of Green Emilith
Aeris of White Tarth
Kowal of White Kowalsk
R'tan of White Mazath
Steward Molly
Candidate Pasca
ladyweathervain
Wingsecond

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:57 pm

Why thank you. I do so appreciate it.

She was a proud mother and nestled her eggs close to her...She had not expected to lay eggs or that her eggs would be so... plain. But she'd spend the better part of her day tending to them, rolling them and just communing with the little ones inside. Ah... And the dutiful father, bringing her food! Still, all this fussing made her a tad bashful. I'm quite glad that you're happy to bring some good meat to me. I only wish I had more eggs to give in exchange. Though... She huffed at the other's attempts to name the eggs. No no. The one you called 'awesome egg bro' last time is between my front claws. Not that she actually recalled. Manuel was the one who told her that much...

"Thanks much." Manuel was happy to take them, but only taste one... "...It's
weird being here with Minnie when the rest of the weyr is waterlogged. But I promised her I'd come by when I'm not helping try and rebuild so she doesn't get too lonely..."
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Cecelia of Brown Uriangth
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Lazu
Candidate Zul
Candidate Deviya
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Carol of Blue Carsk and Brown Cask
Manuel of Garnet Minevath
Candiate Theo
Candidate Ollie
Candidate Nidai
HIGH REACHES
Eglantine of Brown Anselth
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Lars of Bronze Scabellath
Candidate Hans
Candidate Orpheus
Candidate Ganymede
Candidate Adeline
Arcane
Red Star Warning

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:26 pm

"Your first duty is to Minevath and her eggs. If anyone has a problem with that, they're wrong. Your presence is very important for her mental health and there are loads of theories that because dragonets are telepathic, their mother's happiness is necessary for them to develop properly," Arena said as she looked at the eggs. It was a strange clutch. Arena had seen white eggs before and knew statistically they weren't any less likely to hatch healthy than their more colorful counterparts. She'd even seen whole gold clutches that were all black and white and shades of grey. She always wondered why. But it would probably be rude to ask Minevath why her eggs were the way they were, "If anyone gives you a hard time, tell me. I'll talk to them as a dragonhealer. And if they don't listen to me, they'll listen to Chalay."

Oh...Uh...Sorry, Awesome-bro, Oscamith tried again, hoping he had the right one this time. He looked at the eggs and said, Isn't four a lot for a garnet clutch? They're great, Minnie-bro. I hope some of them are garnet-bro's like us.
Fort
Essa of Bronze Gectusith
Faralyn of Brown Grooth
Ieyasu of Brown Ieyask
T'rin of Brown Celeth
G'er of Garnet Neozeoth
Lily of Garnet Eridieth
Augury of Blue Velveth
Gellera of Blue Virtrath
Miryem of Blue Riwenth
Thor of Blue Hinokath
S'atyl of Green Nineveth
Makoto of White Usakinth
Weyrbrat Norelli
High Reaches
Azul of Brown Claarisath
Di'a of Brown Kasshuth
Eliza of Garnet Riaath
Allura of Blue Sendaith
Jae of Blue Zappath
Sandy of Blue Rugrunth
Tamara of Blue Requeth
Ailee of Green Suventh
Kanon of Green Kibeth
Kip of Green Amizuth
Numann of Green Rannath
Sokka of Green Wintrath
Riku of White Taissath
Semaca Weyr
Arena of Void Oscamith
Alayna of Gold Wyzeth
Noor of Bronze Nuunieth
Sage of Brown Wisketoth
Shuri of Brown Motath
Varda of Brown Magmeth
Ly'nk of Garnet Sakuyath
Uruk of Garnet Georsath
Anoni of Blue Cermurith
Artemis of Blue Phoebuth
Ya'ra of Blue Dymrith
Rhea of Green Rheask
V'rell of Green Peridoth
Wyatt of Green Emilith
Aeris of White Tarth
Kowal of White Kowalsk
R'tan of White Mazath
Steward Molly
Candidate Pasca
ladyweathervain
Wingsecond

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:30 pm

"ah... It's mostly a me problem. I've been torn on staying here or helping out the weyr. Minnie said it was fine but..." He huffed. "Guess it's for the best I stay here though." He sat by his dragon, doing his best not to mess with the eggs in any way. He knew that she knew that he meant no harm. But mothers were mothers, and he respected the space. He was just antsy and restless, worried about their home... He didn't know anything about dragon health, but he didn't wanna push his antsy feelings on Minnie. Hence why he would leave for a bit then come back... "So uh... This isn't my first clutch, but... are the all white eggs just... normal? Is this a thing that happens?"

Yes this is the one you deemed 'Awesome Bro'. She said, seeming quite amused. As for clutch size... I wouldn't know. I just know that they seem healthy enough. I've yet to encounter any issues, thanks to you and your rider's supervision. And don't worry. I'll be sure to remind you which egg is which if I need to move them around.
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Lazu
Candidate Zul
Candidate Deviya
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Candiate Theo
Candidate Ollie
Candidate Nidai
HIGH REACHES
Eglantine of Brown Anselth
Dusleros of Brown Runth
Lars of Bronze Scabellath
Candidate Hans
Candidate Orpheus
Candidate Ganymede
Candidate Adeline
Arcane
Red Star Warning

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:05 pm

"I've stood for a lot of clutches. I was a candidate for ten turns at Fort and paid a lot of attention to my clutches, in addition to the things I learned in healer training. I'm kind of an expert on the subject. The mom's rider usually stays with her and keeps her company, whether she's a gold or a garnet," Arena promised solemnly. Obsessing over clutches was probably the thing she did best, "There isn't really a normal. Some clutches are colorful. Some aren't. Sometimes the eggs all look different and sometimes they look like they belong together. Nobody really knows why. Plain white eggs aren't that common but they happen often enough and pretty much always hatch just fine. Usually if there's a dud egg, the mother's more likely to know than anyone else. The number of duds the last fews generation is actually statistically lower than in early passes. Maybe we know how to take care of eggs better or maybe dragons have just evolved to be healthier. Some healers think that's why whites only appeared recently, that they always existed but weren't big or hardy enough to survive until the ninth pass."

Oscamith had the grace to look away in embarrassment. They were his eggs. He should be able to tell which was which. Awesome Egg Bro, Cool Egg Bro, Super Egg Bro and Egg Bro the Great were totally different eggs that contained totally different and uniquely special dragons...They all also kind of looked the same.

Thanks, Minnie-bro. You're the sweetest garnet-bro at the whole weyr. I'm sure the egg-bro's know you love them, Oscamith said. Maybe they'd be focused enough on Minevath's affection that they wouldn't notice his confusion, Do you think they know I'm here?

Because he did kind of want them to know. He hoped they'd all want to be bro's with him whenever they hatched.

"Garnets and greens lay approximately the same number of eggs when they do clutch," Arena looked towards the dragons long enough to tell them, "Typically between one and four, which does place Minevath's clutch on the larger end, although there was one instance where a garnet laid five. So four is indeed a lot. But any number of dragons is precious. Even one egg is a great boon to the weyr- and the future rider."
Fort
Essa of Bronze Gectusith
Faralyn of Brown Grooth
Ieyasu of Brown Ieyask
T'rin of Brown Celeth
G'er of Garnet Neozeoth
Lily of Garnet Eridieth
Augury of Blue Velveth
Gellera of Blue Virtrath
Miryem of Blue Riwenth
Thor of Blue Hinokath
S'atyl of Green Nineveth
Makoto of White Usakinth
Weyrbrat Norelli
High Reaches
Azul of Brown Claarisath
Di'a of Brown Kasshuth
Eliza of Garnet Riaath
Allura of Blue Sendaith
Jae of Blue Zappath
Sandy of Blue Rugrunth
Tamara of Blue Requeth
Ailee of Green Suventh
Kanon of Green Kibeth
Kip of Green Amizuth
Numann of Green Rannath
Sokka of Green Wintrath
Riku of White Taissath
Semaca Weyr
Arena of Void Oscamith
Alayna of Gold Wyzeth
Noor of Bronze Nuunieth
Sage of Brown Wisketoth
Shuri of Brown Motath
Varda of Brown Magmeth
Ly'nk of Garnet Sakuyath
Uruk of Garnet Georsath
Anoni of Blue Cermurith
Artemis of Blue Phoebuth
Ya'ra of Blue Dymrith
Rhea of Green Rheask
V'rell of Green Peridoth
Wyatt of Green Emilith
Aeris of White Tarth
Kowal of White Kowalsk
R'tan of White Mazath
Steward Molly
Candidate Pasca
ladyweathervain
Wingsecond

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Manuel was quiet.

He didn't mind this at all. In fact, it made him quite pleased... he wasn't the type to talk up a storm, and would much rather listen. Arena was saying a lot of useful things that he could recall later, and was glad that Minnie was in good hands healthwise...

"It's good to hear that. About the eggs I mean." He commented. "Only stood for a few clutches myself. So I wouldn't know a lot about them..." Manuel glanced at Minnie, who was arranging her eggs again. She'd have told him if any of the eggs were duds from the get-go, surely. She wasn't one to leave things like this to be surprises...

Thank you, I appreciate the compliments. And... She shifted slightly. I suppose... if your rider says it's fine. You can nose one of them. Let them know you exist. You'd have to be gentle though. The eggs seem tough, but it's always better to be safe than sorry. She seemed ok with Oscamith being so close and just being so... involved. And if candidates could touch eggs, why not him? They were partially his too. Hmmm... Awesome Egg bro, as you call them, has been very good as of late...

"Heh." Manuel couldn't hep but smile. "Minnie was always one to overachieve." Not like she'd be able to control how many eggs she'd have. He just liked the idea of her overachieving just because she could...
FORT WEYR
B'yani of Brown Hyuth
Lou of White Joheith
Candidate Lazu
Candidate Zul
Candidate Deviya
Candidate Tarquin
SEMECA
Candiate Theo