Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

The Colors of Dawn [Kimi]

Ignys
Weyrleader

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:32 pm

The Colors of Dawn [Kimi]

It was far too early to be awake. Glory would never understand why they were made to get up when the sun was barely high enough to cast light where they needed it. Still, she'd get nowhere complaining. So she kept her mouth shut, getting her breakfast and sitting down with a yawn. Maybe the food would wake her up a little.

Or Mangrove's claws in her shoulder would. The little blue chittered grumpily eyeing another extremely young firelizard with another candidate. She sighed, pinching his muzzle closed.

"Stop it. No one wants to deal with that so early." She turned to the candidate, looking apologetic. "Sorry about him. He hates mornings as much as I do."
Kimikelo
Weyrling

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:47 pm

Merridell waved her hand dismissively as she settled into place, the tiny garnet flit curled up on her tray, playing with her spoon - chattering back at it every time it made a clattering noise from being swatted at. The baby flit was oblivious to being glowered at by the blue until the chattering began, at which point she craned her head so far backwards it went upside down, blinking.

"Don't worry about it, darling. I'm still suffering the differences in time myself.. even though I've been here for a while now. Mornings themselves don't bother me though.. any start to a new day is a good one, mmn?" she said with a slightly forced smile, her head cocking slightly to one side.
Ignys
Weyrleader

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:08 pm

"Oh... I suppose. I still don't like them. I would much rather get up when the clouds stop looking pink and red. And the winter is the worst. Getting up before the sun? That's hard." She took a tired bite of foot, offering the blue flit a piece of jerky. The other's little garnet was a silly one. She chuckled a bit.

"She a newborn?" Glory asked, gesturing. "Mangrove isn't very old either. Hatched last season."
Kimikelo
Weyrling

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:28 pm

Merri gave a bob of her head, smiling warmly as she looked down to the somewhat upside-down flit. She reached out to rub her under her chin as the tiny garnet gave a series of chirps and beeps that could only be described as questioning.

"Mhm, just a few days really - one of that clutch found out in the wilds. She gets into so much for something so little," Merridell mused, shaking her head. "I'll have to find her some toys or something. I'm glad for the company, though. Keeps me busy... well, busier."
Ignys
Weyrleader

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:10 pm

"Heh, it can get lonely here. It feels so small compared to other weyrs." Glory preferred that, truthfully, but she couldn't deny how lonely it got by comparison. She didn't know many people here. She wondered how her friends at High Reaches were getting along, what with the upheaval they were experiencing. Maybe she'd send a letter.

"I'm sure she'll still get into things as she grows. Get stuck in things, rather. Places she used to be able to fit where she can't anymore. Hehe.... Or, if she's like Mangrove, she'll be clingy and tear holes in your clothes climbing up you. I can't wait until he can fly so I can stop sewing up holes."
Kimikelo
Weyrling

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:11 pm

"So far she mostly seems to like to move things from place to place and make noise," Merridell chuckled, her eyes crinkling slightly at the corners. "Hopefully the little darling won't get stuck.. I'd feel awful if I came back to find her having been caught in something for candlemarks on end. I'll have to flit-proof the room. Over a season and he can't fly, though?"

There was a little concern in Merri's voice for the little firelizard. "I'd have thought they'd be airborne by then... they're so vulnerable when they're on the ground..."
Ignys
Weyrleader

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:17 am

"Well, maybe he can and he's just being lazy." She looked at the blue on her shoulder suspiciously, shaking her head. "I just figured it was like dragons. Maybe he just enjoys making me miserable." Mangrove squawked in offence, flaring his wings and effectively smacking Glory in the face.

"Ack! Okay you little trouble maker... well, if she's anything like Mangrove, she'll come looking for you if you leave her alone. He is... absurdly good at finding me. I can't even leave him alone to sleep."
Kimikelo
Weyrling

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:48 am

Merridell continued to chuckle warmly at the antics, reaching out to gently turn the little garnet's head the right side up before she became too distracted by chirping back at Mangrove's squawking. "That seems to support the idea of him flying, then.. otherwise the little darling would just be walking around the weyr everywhere. I'll have to stop and ask the healers though, just to know for sure one way or the other," she mused, wiggling her fingers in front of Prima's snout until her head bobbled and shook trying to follow them.
Ignys
Weyrleader

Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:05 pm

Cute... she kind of wished Mangrove did little things like that. He seemed to be all doom and gloom and serious, though.

"That doesn't sound impossible either. He's pretty sneaky, as bright as he is. Gets under my feet plenty if I'm not looking for him." He chattered grumpily at her, making Glory roll her eyes and boop his nose. "Oh stop. You brought this on yourself."
Kimikelo
Weyrling

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:47 pm

"Maybe he just doesn't like flying. That would be strange, but I suppose not unheard of. Maybe you should just take the little darling with you, get him a little place to sit or something of the sort. I've thought about getting a little pouch for Prima just until she's bigger. So I can keep my hands free and keep an eye on her. Perhaps that's a bit too... hovering, though," Merridell tilted her head slightly, frowning thoughtfully to herself.

Prima perked at the chattering, distracted from the fingers enough to start chattering back, her chirping voice rising and falling like speech inflections.
Ignys
Weyrleader

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:48 am

Mangrove turned his head, looking at her for a moment before chittering back to her. Glory snorted softly, looking at her firelizard quietly for several moments.

"He usually doesn't like to be woken up, so when it's dinner time and he's asleep I leave him in my barracks. But he always finds me. It's like he can't sleep without me near by. I guess its.... sweet. But." She pointed an accusatory finger at Mangrove. "Do I need to find a ledge to drop you off of to get you to fly, mister?"

He gave an alarmed screech, digging his claws in more. Glory winced, laughing.

"I'm not actually gonna do that, calm down."
Kimikelo
Weyrling

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:48 pm

"That is rather adorable," Merridell agreed with a nod, her brows lifting. "The little darling sounds quite attached to you, grumpy though he may be. Maybe he will mellow a little more as he gets older."

Prima seemed incredibly pleased at being talked back to, and continued their chattering conversation, waiting for Mangrove to finish each 'sentence' before beginning her own. Her wings fluttered at the screech, though, and she shrunk back slightly.
Ignys
Weyrleader

Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:43 pm

Once Mangrove released his death grip on her, she scooped him up, placing him down by Prima. He chittered at her, snorting and turning to Prima. Glory watched them for a moment.

"Well, he behaves for the most part. I've heard of others who have firelizards who just outright bite people. So I'm glad he only hisses at them." And that was even only if he was in a particularly bad mood. The most he did normally was glare. "I think he could use a friend, some company. But that won't be until after I age out or graduate."
Kimikelo
Weyrling

Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:19 pm

Merridell's eyes crinkled in a smile as she watched Prima turn to the blue and begin to chatter and 'talk' at him again, apparently no longer concerned since he was no longer being loud. Her vocalizations weren't particularly loud, but they were animated, and she bobbed and nodded her head as she 'spoke.'

"Well, until then, he can be friends with Prima. It's not like we're not both Candidates and running in the same circles anyway, mm?" Merri reasoned.
Ignys
Weyrleader

Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:34 am

He chirped back, and Glory had to wonder if he understood Prima or if he was just chattering like he did with her. Prima was just as chatty as him, if much more... cheerful about it.

"That's true. I'm sure he'll enjoy the company. Ah... you mentioned being lonely too right? I'm... probably not the best company exactly but..." She trailed off, waving a hand dismissively. "I'm here. I don't do much in my off time."
Next
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux