Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

Tutoring the Timid [Ezra]

FirebrandPhlox
Weyrfolk

Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:48 am
  • Link

Tutoring the Timid [Ezra]

Quentin was really struggling with their letters. They hadn't expected being a candidate would mean they would have to learn to read and write. The practical aspects, like knots and caring for a dragon all made sense to them, it was similar to taking care of the herdbeasts on the farm, just on a much larger scale. That was natural to Quentin. Contorting their hand to hold a too-small writing utensil trying to form squiggly little lines was borderline torture. Then having to go back and try and read what was written was nearly as miserable. Why couldn't they just communicate with pictures?

It had gotten to the point where Quentin was falling behind in lessons because of their struggles. One of the instructors suggested they seek out a scribe, perhaps someone who had dedicated their lives to the written word could provide some additional lessons to bolster the classroom learning. There was a father and son who were scribes and had been in Semaca for several turns now, so Quentin was given a description and some names to reach out to.

That's how Quentin found themselves in the dining hall looking for a scribe to teach them. They scanned the room, spotting a person who matched one of the descriptions they had been given. Quentin took a deep breath. They almost never initiated a conversation, but if they had to in order to become a rider, so be it. They slowly approached the man and in a careful, deep voice asked, "are you Chidi?" If it wasn't Quentin would die on the spot from embarrassment.
Ezra
Wingsecond

Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:06 am
  • Link

Chidi had been fully absorbed in editing his "book" so much so that when he was spoken to, it almost spooked him and he nearly dropped his writing utensil into his soup. " Ah! I mean... yes, yes I am. How can I help you?" He asked, his stomach churning.. what if this person was asking him to help them chose something.. he could not take that pressure right now. He'd already had several well meaning people trying to encourage him to do things, like buying a wher egg and he had fled rather than giving an answer but man was one of them PERSISTANT that this would solve his issues.

But this was not that person so... best to try to calm himself and be the professional he tried to present himself as.
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrfolk

Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:11 pm
  • Link

Quentin breathed a sigh of relief, which externally only appeared to be a slightly louder exhale than usual. "My name is Quentin," they said slowly and carefully. They hadn't meant to startle the man, and didn't want to do so again. The last thing they needed was to scare off one of the few people who might be able to help them get back on track with their classes.

"You are a scribe, yes? I am a candidate.". Quentin took a deep breath and clenched their fists. Admitting they needed help was significantly harder than they expected it to be. "And I need help with my letters. Would you please give me extra letter lessons?" They waited for a response, face stoic. Internally their guts were tying themselves in knots. The unclenched their fists and began fiddling with their fingers nervously.
Ezra
Wingsecond

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 pm
  • Link

" Nice to meet you, Quentin and yes I am a scribe." Chidi replied, folding his hands down in front of him, his gaze on the person before they spoke again. Ahh help with letters? This was something easy for him, thank Farenth! " Yes, I might be able to put together some lessons for you. Would you prefer a verbal or written format for the lesson, I can also do a bit of both. Some folk are more visual learners and I have taught my fair share of them in the past. Which ever method you feel most comfortable with." He replied, relaxing a bit. This was familar territory, this he could manage.
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrfolk

Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:42 pm
  • Link

Quentin just blinked in response. Visual learner? What did that even mean? They weren't really sure what kind of lesson would work best. No matter how it was taught in the classroom, the lessons just weren't sticking with them.

They fidgeted with their hands while they pondered the options given by Chidi. After several moments they responded with a tenative "both?" No matter what they tried, they weren't comfortable with writing, so they might as well try the different options and see if this man could help the lessons stay with them.
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux