Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

[CHARTERS] Swimming Lessons

Arcane
Thread Conqueror

Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:12 pm
  • Link

[CHARTERS] Swimming Lessons

The Charters are now large and strong enough to start learning to swim. Enjoy the water- but remember you are here to do your drills, not chase the feesh.
Fort
Essa of Bronze Gectusith
Hunter of Bronze Yndesk
Quinn of Bronze-White Louicyth
Wingleader S'bor of Bronze Yugoth
Allag of Brown Babyloth
Daphne of Brown Ogatath
ACM Estelle of Brown Jaehaeryth
Faralyn of Brown Grooth
Gymlin of Brown Glacendath
Ieyasu of Brown Ieyask
P'pin of Brown Palath
T'rin of Brown Celeth
Cole of Garnet Colsk and Blue Colodeosk
G'er of Garnet Neozeoth
Lily of Garnet Eridieth
N'ell of Garnet Pamith
Relli of Garnet Rellivask and Blue Relsk
Augury of Blue Velveth
Chrysanthe of Blue Bidath
Gellera of Blue Virtrath
Korra of Blue Raavath
Kyoshi of Blue Rugrunth
Miryem of Blue Riwenth
Thor of Blue Hinokath
Sam'in of Blue Salineath
Adora of Green Meilith
Elyron of Green Elyrosk
Kiriani of Green Tabesleuth
Wingsecond L'ir of Green Byth
Quintar of Green Task
S'atyl of Green Nineveth
Makoto of White Usakinth
M'ieln of White Hroth
Rhaenys of White Cosmiath
Wingleader Tyrion of White Voluntauth
Actaeon
Mithras
High Reaches
Cynthia of Gold Eliask
Ce'na of Bronze Noath
Hela of Bronze Helsk and Brown Hesk
Azul of Brown Claarisath
Di'a of Brown Kasshuth
Dobby of Brown Kersuth
I'lir of Brown Belliorath
Ingrid of Brown Delinarth
Wingleader Myalla of Brown Enarth
Th'ou of Brown Pavith
Arya of Garnet Xrhuth
Wingsecond D'ark of Garnet Masreith
Duke of Garnet Legiath
Drusilla of Garnet Drusk
Squadsecond Tomas of Garnet Tomask and White Tsk
Weyrling Master Camilla of Blue Kamuith
Edda of Blue Katakurth
Jace of Blue Gallath
Jae of Blue Zappath
Sayla of Blue Sacroth
Sha'm of Blue Taarisoth
Stroud of Blue Strouth
Tamara of Blue Requeth
Ya'ra of Blue Dymrith
Yvaen of Blue Bolduth
Zhuli of Blue Zhusk and Blue Lisk
Kanon of Green Kibeth
Kip of Green Amizuth
Numann of Green Rannath
Raine of Green Spriggth
Wilred of Green Lresk and Blue Wilrsk
Sokka of Green Wintrath
T'ir of Green Blysith
Riku of White Taissath
Aragon
Pyeta
Semaca Weyr
Arena of Void Oscamith
Alayna of Gold Wyzeth
Al'bus of Bronze Matanuth
Noor of Bronze Nuunieth
Schneizel of Bronze Damocleth
Athan of Brown Liraeth
Hermione of Brown Echoneth
K'zon of Brown Rurosuth
Sage of Brown Wisketoth
Shuri of Brown Motath
Varda of Brown Magmeth
Ei of Garnet Eisk
Karlach of Garnet Ussk
Ly'nk of Garnet Sakuyath
Maui of Garnet Mausk and Blue Mask
Uruk of Garnet Georsath
Artemis of Blue Phoebuth
Corleon of Blue Corleosk and White Corlesk
D'vir of Blue Cainhurth
Candidatemaster Naxen of Blue Anitoth
N'aya of Blue Ilouth
Point Rigel of Blue Cygneth
Ariel of Green Kshatriyath
Eleanor of Green Elsk
Eli'us of Green Sallith
Mi'wa of Green Ephiith
Natsuno of Green Minamith
L'ani of Green Haillenarth
Rhea of Green Rheask
Captain Vella of Green Vellask and Magma Vesk
V'rell of Green Peridoth
Wyatt of Green Emilith
Laera of White Tarth
Kowal of White Kowalsk
Pasca of White Judgmeth
R'tan of White Mazath
Steward Molly
Francesca
Tarva
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrling

Tue Aug 13, 2024 1:23 pm
  • Link

Come on now, the water is fine. Quentin told Torrigath over their mental link. The weyrling was standing waist deep in the water, wearing short pants made of a water resistant cloth. They held their hand out to their bonded, inviting them to join in. It's the same as taking a bath. Just much bigger.

Well, if you're certain, the brown responded, slowly wading into the water. The temperature was fine, but the scale of the lake was more than a little intimidating. Though I am still not quite sure what I'm supposed to do.

Watch me. Try to do what feels natural to you. Quentin took a few steps deeper into the lake, until the water was near their chin. They pushed off the lakebed with their feet, propelling them into a position on their stomach. They began scooping the water with their arms and kicking with their legs, arms and legs synchronized like a frog. It wasn't fast swimming, but it kept their head above the water

Oh! Torrigath said as he felt the movements of his bonded through the water. Like this? He asked as he began splashing ineffectively, sending a large amount of water flying towards shore where several of the classmates stood.
nineofswords
Peacekeeper

Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:46 am
  • Link

I am not doing that, Moggeth said. He was sitting on the shore of the lake. He was far too big for S'ra to manhandle like she could've when he was younger, and he had his claws digging into the sand. I refuse. I will not get wet.

"Well, that's too bad," S'ra said, striding into the water. "Seeing as this is where all the fish are."

Moggeth's eyes narrowed in suspicion. This smells like a trick.

S'ra shrugged. "No trick. Just a simple observation." She was about to slip into the deeper water when Torrigath's flailing sent waves towards the shore. She managed not to get pulled under water, but didn't avoid a soaking. Moggeth wasn't so lucky. He spluttered and then hissed, flaring out his wings threateningly. Torrigath, you heinous useless lump! You did that on purpose!

S'ra smirked. "I don't think he did," she said. "But since you're already wet now, might as well get into the water."

Moggeth flexed his claws in the sand of the shore, uncertain, eyes swirling with the colors of annoyance. And if I refuse?

S'ra slid into the water and started swimming. "Then you'll still be wet," she called back. "But if you get into the water, you'll be wet and you can catch as many fish as you want. There simply won't be any way for me to stop you!"

Moggeth hissed again. This is a conspiracy. You and the fish and the damn weyrlingmasters are conspiring against me! With disgust, he inched forward dipping his toes into the water. Vile substance. Disgusting. Horrid. What right does it have to exist?

Well, at least Moggeth was getting into the water. Nobody said he had to like it, but he was participating in the lesson, which was all anyone could ask for. The white inched farther into the water, cursing and muttering and complaining each step of the way.
Fort
L'fy of Brown Dioth
B'layk of Blue Radarth
Wingsecond G'las of Green Quenith | Dazzle (flit)
Y'olai of White Tsukasath
Jackrum of Brown Krusk
Columbo of Blue Lumsk
Attolia of Cinder Attolisk
Ronica of White Onisk and Brown Osk
Assistant Headwoman Houlihan | Soldier (flit)
Candidate Bronson | Apolline (flit)
Candidate Heiro | Thetis (flit)
High Reaches
Dani of Bronze Bladeth | Ceecee (flit)
Barca of Brown Brynth
Healer's Wingleader Y'ang of Brown Kullilth | Bokhee (flit)
Elross of Blue Hisahith
Weyrling Ry'n of Green Yuelith
Dukat of Bronze Dusk
Maritza of Garnet Arisk
Ennis of Green Ennisk and Green Szensk
Weyrfolk Anabella
Candidate Miguel
Candidate Nayru
Wher Candidate Haron
Semaca
M'ten of Garnet Noggoth
Weyrleader B'ram of Blue Sininulth | Sunrise (flit)
Bre'q of Blue Ostoriath
D'ax of Blue Firarith | Kahless (flit)
F'lin of Green Eraelth | Rusty (flit)
Tychon of Green Ezanath | Thalassa Narcissa (bird)
Weyrling S'ra of White Moggeth
Dunsmith of Brown Dunsk | Filly (flit)
Rosethorn of Garnet Thornsk and Brown Rosesk
Candidate Hamuntep
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrling

Tue Aug 20, 2024 5:19 pm
  • Link

Oh, I'm sorry S'ra. I didn't mean to splash you. Torrigath called to her as he dialed down the movement of his limbs. He stared pointedly at Moggeth, I didn't mean to hit you either, but maybe now you'll get in and try swimming with us. Torrigath made no hint of an apology towards his brother, Moggeth didn't need to be so rude and didn't deserve one.

"Try bigger, slower movements," Quentin called to Torrigath from deeper in the lake. They were treading water and fully enjoying this lesson. It had been a long time since they had the chance to jump in the swimming hole back on the family farm, so they were going to savor every moment that swimming counted as a lesson.

Torrigath nodded, and followed Quentin's advice. He was still not sure of the water, and made sure to stick closer to shore than his bonded, opting to be just out of his standing range of the lake bed. It was awkward and not at all elegant, but he was moving forward and keeping his head above the water. This isn't so bad!
nineofswords
Peacekeeper

Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:25 am
  • Link

"It's fine, Torrigath!" S'ra called, waving to the brown. "No harm done."

Speak for yourself!

I was.

At Torrigath's suggestion that Moggeth get in the water, the white hissed again. I do not believe you! You have conspired with my rider to force me into this ridiculous, undignified situation!

"Frankly, I don't think Torrigath thinks about you enough to want to do that," S'ra pointed out, flicking water at Moggeth. "Hurry up and get in, you big baby."

I am surrounded by traitors. Vile, horrid, contemptible people who wish only to have me suffer! the white complained loudly as he slipped deeper into the water and had to start paddling. You are trying to break me, all for your own amusement. None of you deserve anything good in your lives, and I hope you all catch something nasty from swimming in this...this...soup!

S'ra rolled her eyes. The white was in the water, his movements jerky, one lip curled up to visually indicate to everyone how unhappy he was with this, as if his loud, constant whining and eyes swirling with red weren't a dead giveaway. "Try holding your breath and putting your head under the water," S'ra said.

Why would I want to get MORE wet? the white howled at her.

"Because I wasn't lying about the fish, you dummy," S'ra said. "Stick your head in the water and you'll see them. You can hunt them yourself. And it's not like you can get more wet, right?"

Moggeth hesitated, still grumbling, then did as he was told. He was silent for a long moment, then darted deeper into the water. Fish! Get back here you slippery little bastard! C'mere! Get...get into my mouth, damm you!
Fort
L'fy of Brown Dioth
B'layk of Blue Radarth
Jackrum of Brown Krusk
Columbo of Blue Lumsk
High Reaches
Barca of Brown Brynth
Elross of Blue Hisahith
Dukat of Bronze Dusk
Maritza of Garnet Arisk
Weyrfolk Anabella
Candidate Miguel
Candidate Nayru
Wher Candidate Haron
Semaca
M'ten of Garnet Noggoth
Bre'q of Blue Ostoriath
Candidate Hamuntep
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrling

Mon Aug 26, 2024 12:00 pm
  • Link

Torrigath turned his head to watch as S'ra coaxed Moggeth into the water. His brother slowly inched in, then was off like a dart to chase the fish. Not one to be left behind, especially in Moggeth's literal wake, Torrigath took a deep breath and plunged his head underwater.

He paused under the surface, taking in the subdued sounds of his siblings and their riders splashing on the surface. It was strange and muffled under the water, but not in a bad way. Torrigath experimented with a few kicks and gliding before popping his head above the water for another breath.

Are there really fish in the lake? Do you think I can catch one? He asked Quentin excitedly.

Quentin was swimming back towards shore now. Yes, there are. Try catching one, if you do, we can clean it and eat it.

With that, Torrigath dove below the surface again, and with his awkward stroke, swam deeper, looking for fish. He wasn't as excited about eating one as he was the prospect of exploring this newfound underwater world. And if he did manage to catch a fish before Moggeth, that wouldn't be too bad either.

Quentin reached shallower waters where S'ra was stationed. They stood up and waded towards her. So you managed to get him in? They signed, turning their head to watch Moggeth and Torrigath as best they could as the pair darted underwater.
nineofswords
Peacekeeper

Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:59 am
  • Link

The white was darting around under the water. For a dragon who hated water, he had taken to the task surprisingly well of swimming after fish. 'Just remember to come up occasionally for air,' S'ra called. He was engaging in the exercise, perhaps not in the way the instructors meant, but S'ra considered that a win nonetheless. Anything else would be an exercise in cultivating a headache.

As enthusiastically as he was darting after the fish, he wasn't faster than them, though, to his increasing irritation, and he exploded back to the surface with a hiss and eyes blazing red. He gulped air before diving back under, and woe betide any brother of his who got between him and any of the fish he was so desperately hunting. Luckily, he seemed to be diving away from the others in search of fish, so there was very little danger of anyone colliding in the waters.

She smiled at Quentin as they approached her, looking a little tired but pleased. She nodded at their question. "Yeah, but I'll be glad when we're done with this particular phase of their training," she said. "I think the promise of fish under the surface would've only gotten us so far if Torrigath hadn't splashed him. Thanks for that, by the way," she said with feeling. "I think if we have to do this again, I'll need to bring fish to throw into the lake so he sees them and knows I'm not full of shards when I tell him there's fish in the water."
Fort
L'fy of Brown Dioth
B'layk of Blue Radarth
Jackrum of Brown Krusk
Columbo of Blue Lumsk
High Reaches
Barca of Brown Brynth
Elross of Blue Hisahith
Dukat of Bronze Dusk
Maritza of Garnet Arisk
Weyrfolk Anabella
Candidate Miguel
Candidate Nayru
Wher Candidate Haron
Semaca
M'ten of Garnet Noggoth
Bre'q of Blue Ostoriath
Candidate Hamuntep
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrling

Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:48 am
  • Link

Torrigath watched as Moggeth whizzed by, chasing after the much more agile fish. The brown sincerely doubted his ability to be able to catch any if his smaller, faster brother was having this much difficulty. He went back to the surface for more air, then dove under the water once more. The more he swam, the more natural the movements felt, though he was still far from graceful. While catching a fish would be nice, he was content to swim near the lake bed, investigating the rocks and weeds that were growing on the bottom.

He didn't mean to splash Moggeth, really. Or you. He felt bad about getting you wet. Quentin assured her. Despite their best efforts to practice shielding thoughts and emotions on their telepathic link, Quentin and Torrigath were still in tune for nearly every thought and emotion either one had. That would be ironic. Needing to bring fish that came from the lake back to the lake to get him in. That seems like a lot of work.

Quentin frowned. S'ra was their friend, and they wanted the best for her. Moggeth seemed to be a difficult partner to have, but S'ra took it in stride. They wanted to make sure she was doing alright, but didn't know how to ask that. They stood next to her fidgeting with their fingers, not sure if, or how, they should ask how she was holding up.
nineofswords
Peacekeeper

Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:59 pm
  • Link

"He might not have meant it, but he did me a favor by doing it anyway," S'ra said with a laugh. "Plus, Moggeth's said plenty to deserve getting soaked like that. It's practically justice at that point." She looked surprised at the news that Torrigath felt bad about getting her wet. "Why?" she asked. "We all knew today's lesson was going to take place at the lake today. I was expecting to get wet. Besides, a little water's not so bad when you consider that any time I have to give Moggeth a bath, he tends to smack me with his tail multiple times with his squirming." She gave Quentin a smile. "But it's very sweet that he feels bad about it."

S'ra laughed. "Yeah, it sounds pretty counter-intuitive, but it'd honestly be less work than trying to talk him into getting into the lake or trying to manhandle him in there. He is..." For a moment, S'ra looked very, very tired as she heaved a large sigh. "Stubborn." It was a good quality in a threadfighter, less so in a willful child that she needed to mind constantly.

AHA! Moggeth crowed, surfacing in a dramatic, triumphant splash, a flailing fish in his jaws. The fish was trying to smack him in the eyes, but he just bit down hard until it stopped moving. Absolutely radiating smugness, he swam back to shore, shaking water off himself vigorously like a canine, headless of the humans standing near him as he did so. He plopped down on dry land and began to tuck into the fish. S'ra, make yourself useful, would you, and dry me off.

"Nah, you can air dry like the rest of us," S'ra said, wringing out her shirt from the fresh wave of water that had drenched her. Moggeth let out a hiss and a mental grumble, but seemed molified by his fish. S'ra looked at Quentin and rolled her eyes good naturedly about the white's antics.
Fort
L'fy of Brown Dioth
B'layk of Blue Radarth
Jackrum of Brown Krusk
Columbo of Blue Lumsk
High Reaches
Barca of Brown Brynth
Elross of Blue Hisahith
Dukat of Bronze Dusk
Maritza of Garnet Arisk
Weyrfolk Anabella
Candidate Miguel
Candidate Nayru
Wher Candidate Haron
Semaca
M'ten of Garnet Noggoth
Bre'q of Blue Ostoriath
Candidate Hamuntep
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrling

Fri Sep 06, 2024 12:34 pm
  • Link

He felt bad because he splashed you when you weren't expecting it. He didn't realize water could go that far. It was true, they all knew the lesson would be at the lake and everyone would get wet at some point, but Torrigath was worried he had caught S'ra unawares.

Torrigath, aware that he was being talked about surfaced from his diving expedition. He swam along the top of the water, pretending that he wasn't aware of everything Quentin was saying or feeling.

Quentin watched as S'ra's face fell. It was only for a moment, but in that moment she looked as if she had aged several decades. Stubborn was a kind way to talk about Moggeth's unique personality. They wanted to ask how she was doing, just as Moggeth burst forth from the water with his well-earned prize.

Quentin gave a small smile at S'ra's eye roll. At least she had a good attitude about everything. "Well, he did swim at least." Quentin said in a hushed tone to S'ra, amusement in their voice.
nineofswords
Peacekeeper

Sun Sep 08, 2024 3:14 pm
  • Link

"Well, I appreciate the apology, but really, it's no big deal," S'ra assured Quentin. The pair were clearly worried about it, so she wanted to be kind, but compared what what Moggeth put her through regularly, she'd barely even noticed it was something that might upset someone else.

S'ra gave a chuckle when Quentin said that at least the white had gone for a swim. "At least that! I hope the weyrlingmasters are fine with that amount of time for him, because I doubt I can get him back into the water. At least, not before he's finished his fish. And aren't you supposed to wait half a candlemark before you go for a swim after eating? If he gets a cramp while having to swim, I won't stop hearing about it for the next three days, until he forgets about it. And even then, he'll remember he was complaining to me about something and find things to moan about until he gets bored of that."

If you were simply perfect at everything, I wouldn't have to criticize you, Moggeth offered helpfully. His eyes moved over the lake towards Torrigath. Either join the conversation or get back to your swimming, but don't hover there listening and barely treading water, he barked at the brown.

"You're fine, Torrigath!" S'ra called with what she hoped was a friendly wave. "And who are you to criticize his swimming?" S'ra asked her white partner. "You have done the absolute bare minimum amount of swimming necessary. He's at least trying."

And clearly failing. It's why he needs the practice. I, however, do not need such things. What I need, is a nap. He'd finished his food and curled up and almost immediately started snoring gently.

S'ra leaned back with a sigh. "Yeah, I'm definitely not getting him back into the water now..." she grumbled.
Fort
L'fy of Brown Dioth
B'layk of Blue Radarth
Jackrum of Brown Krusk
Columbo of Blue Lumsk
High Reaches
Barca of Brown Brynth
Elross of Blue Hisahith
Dukat of Bronze Dusk
Maritza of Garnet Arisk
Weyrfolk Anabella
Candidate Miguel
Candidate Nayru
Wher Candidate Haron
Semaca
M'ten of Garnet Noggoth
Bre'q of Blue Ostoriath
Candidate Hamuntep
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrling

Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:29 am
  • Link

Quentin nodded along as S'ra talked. She certainly had a much harder time with the weyrlinghood than they did. Moggeth was proving himself to be a handful with each and every lesson. Quentin was thankful they hadn't ended up with Moggeth, they wouldn't be able to withstand all that negativity in their head constantly.

Torrigath did not take to Moggeth's snark well. He knew that he wasn't taking to swimming quite as naturally as he would have hoped, but he was trying his best. Maybe he wasn't cut out to be a swimmer. And if he wasn't a great swimmer, how would he be able to handle flying when it came time to learn that?

You will do fine, Quentin assured the brown over their mental link. Dragons are designed to fly, not to swim. And you can keep practicing until you get better.

But what if I don't get better? Torrigath fretted. I'm a dragon of Pern. I need to do well in all my tasks.

It will come with practice. Like me with my letters. Quentin still struggled with their writing, but reading was slowly becoming more manageable for them. If you are self-conscious, we can practice more alone, away from the rest of the class.

Away from Moggeth. Torrigath told Quentin with the mental equivalent of an eye roll. Quentin gave a slight chuckle, which was enough for Torrigath. He went back to exploring the lakebed, away from the snark of his brother.

Quentin glanced over their shoulder at the white, chomping at his well-earned prize. "Yes, I don't think you'll be getting him back in, either," they told S'ra.
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux