Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

Cold Night Watch [Open]

The tallest peaks of the Weyr. There are frequent watch shifts, day and night. Many are on guard for when Thread falls again. The older Weyrlings occasionally like to race from peak to peak.
Tyto
Wingrider

Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:26 pm

Cold Night Watch [Open]

Standing beside Kinnirath, B'lak huddled close to the warmth radiating from his dragon, arms bundled tight to his body, scarf wrapped around his neck and hood of his heavy winter riding jacket pulled up to cover his head. Even still, he puffed out thick clouds of breath, shivering loud enough to be heard. "W-wh-why do you s-still l-like nn-nnn-ight sh-shifts in the w-winter? It-t-t's ss-s-so cold," he asked his dragon aloud through chattering teeth. At the moment they were the only two he could see up on the fireheights, but he hadn't done a lot of looking around in the last few minutes, mostly just trying to not freeze his backside off.

The sky is beautiful tonight, she answered simply, calmly-whirling eyes focused upward. She seemed to have no problem with her rider practically wedging himself against her belly to seek out her warmth, a little blob of brown on her red belly-hide as she sat on her haunches. Look at all the wonderful stars.
Ignys
Peacekeeper

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:22 pm

It wasn't his watch, but Baptiste was fond of nights like this. Cold as they may be, they were clear and the sky was beautiful. Each star seemed to be that much more visible in the sky on winter nights. He made his way up with Rolth, pausing when he saw the garnet and her rider as well. Or rather, the garnet. He had to actually look for B'lak, finally finding him pressed into Kinnirath's side. He couldn't help but chuckle.

"Need some help? You look cold."
Tyto
Wingrider

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:41 pm

Kinnirath's head swiveled toward the other rider as he approached, though when she saw it was one of their own she turned her gaze back to the stars above. We have a guest, she alerted her rider to avoid having him startled by their approach. Honestly, B'lak probably wouldn't have even noticed them at all had she not said something.

Instead of immeidately greeting them, B'lak chose to keep himself huddled up ther side instead, at least until Baptiste spoke. Then, he shuffled around in place until he faced toward him, peeking out over the edge of his scarf with his arms still hugging his jacket tight to his frame. "I'm n-not s-s-sure how you could help," he replied, "Un-n-nless you can m-make it warm out."
Ignys
Peacekeeper

Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:02 pm

"Well, if I had that power I don't think I'd be a bluerider." He chuckled good-naturedly. He did tug his scarf off, offering it to B'lak with a smile. "But I can offer this. The cold doesn't bother me much. Plus, it's still warm.

The scarf was, at least. He couldn't say the same for the weather. Rolth followed his rider up, scuffing snow away with his tail so he had a more comfortable place to sit. He was quiet, almost like a sentinel, despite not being on duty.

"Though I think keeping it cold would prevent Thread, at least. As much as you'd hate that."
Tyto
Wingrider

Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:47 pm

B'lak eyed the offered scarf for a moment in consideration before reaching out and taking it. "Th-thanks." He loosened his own a little and then tied Baptiste's around him as well. It was helpful, for sure. Still, he continued to shiver a little even with the temporary gift.A little less aggressively, at least.

"The one b-benefit," he laughed softly, still tucked close to his dragon's side. Kinnirath looked at Rolth for a moment, her eyes whirling calmly. Good evening, she greeted him, though only to Rolth--she didn't often speak to other humans. "What brings you out here?" B'lak asked, "It's p-pretty late." It was still a few hours from watch-change, too.
Ignys
Peacekeeper

Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:12 am

"Taking advantage of the clear sky, I suppose. It's been cloudy the last few nights. Or worse: snowing. I wanted to come see the stars before they got covered again. It's... a pretty trivial desire, if I'm honest." Still, he seemed pleased with himself. Though that probably had something to do with B'lak visibly shivering less with his gift

Roth seemed to agree with Baptiste's assessment, eyes fixed on the horizon like he was the one on watch instead. He turned his head when the garnet greeted him, dipping his head politely.

Evening. A nice, quiet evening too.
Tyto
Wingrider

Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:54 pm

"N-not at all," B'lack offered a friendly smile, and though it was hidden by the scarf it did reach to his eyes. "Kinnirath l-likes to look at the stars, too. Sh-she likes to have me volunteer for night watch." He just really wished she would volunteer only during the warm months, even if she said that it was usually easier to see the stars in the cold. Kinnirath rumbled softly, amusement whirling in her eyes, and she took a moment to crane down and gently nudge her rider with her snout, who laughed and gently rubbed her nearest eye ridge. "I can't say no to her."
Ignys
Peacekeeper

Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:19 pm

He couldn't help but laugh, light and friendly, at the knowledge. Ah, B'lack was a bit of a softie, wasn't he? That wasn't bad, though. It was kinda sweet, actually.

"Well, she sounds like a sweetheart. I don't blame you for not being able to say no, even at the expense of your own comfort. Maybe you should invest in a thicker coat? Or perhaps a second one." Sounded like a good investment to him, considering how cold B'lack still was.

"Its the opposite for me and Rolth. I think he puts up with my desires, even if he'd rather we both be getting enough sleep for tomorrow."
Tyto
Wingrider

Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:04 pm

He had to agree with that, though he'd never really thought much of it. Kinnirath was a very sweet dragon. He wouldn't trade her for the world. He was glad he didn't have to choose between her and his sister or things might have gotten a bit awkward. "M-maybe I sh-should save and get one of those expen-nsive fur-lined ones," he nodded a little, brows pinched in consideration. It wouldn't be something he'd likely be able to afford for *this* winter, but for *next*? Maybe he should invest. "Y-you'd think I'd just get u-used to it," he laughed.

B'lack looked up at Rolth, still tucked against his dragon's side and using her to shield him from most of the cold. It was working, along with his borrowed scarf. The blue looked rather regal, far more alert than Kinnirath, though he knew his garnet was just as aware of the area as Rolth. "I'm sure he still loves you dearly, e-even if he doesn't get to sleep all n-night." He couldn't say for sure, but surely if the blue objected he would let his rider do as he pleased?
Ignys
Peacekeeper

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:30 am

"Mm. That sounds nice. Considering you haven't gotten used to it still... It'd be a worthy investment, surely." The comment about Rolth loving him made him cackle softly, looking up at the blue. "Aww, you love me?"

I chose you, didn't I? I would not have if I thought you weren't perfect for me. He replied simply, before turning his gaze to B'lack. He studied the other for a moment, silent. Though I would prefer it, I don't find the occasional venture at night to be... unpleasant. Though I much prefer them when the weather isn't like this.
Tyto
Wingrider

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:11 pm

B'lak smiled behind the thick layers. "You understand," he chuckled softly. He didn't mind coming out at night. The skies were beautiful, especially when lit up with only the stars and the moons. But, he didn't like the cold. Even growing up in and around Fort hadn't acclimated him. He just wasn't meant for cold, apparently. Though he'd probably be even worse off somewhere colder, or miserable somewhere warm. That may or may not have been part of his reason for staying at Fort and not transferring somewhere like Semaca. He'd rather be cold for a few months than die from hot weather. "I can't keep poor Kinnirath cooped up all winter just because I don't like the cold, though." She'd never forgive him.

Reaching up, he rubbed the side of his neck. "I can give your scarf back before you go, unless you want me to return it to you in the morning." After he washed it.
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux