Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

[Hatching] A Million Marks and a Dream

A large, hot, sandy cavern that opens to the sky. There are stone seats and large ledges for humans and dragons to come watch the events.
nineofswords
Peacekeeper

Thu Oct 10, 2024 8:33 pm
  • Link

Bronson - Kee

Bronson looked over, surprised to be addressed. But when he saw that she was fresh-faced candidate, straight from the creches, he immediately understood why she would've turned to him for advice. He was clearly the most qualified candidate here.

"It's certainly going to be a memorable hatching, if that's what you mean by great," he agreed. "A large, healthy clutch by two strong dragons. I'm sure all of the hatchlings will be as magnificent as their parents."

He gave an indulgent chuckle at Kee's impatience. "I agree, I'd rather these dragons get a move on already and come out of their shells, but you know what they say: Good things come to those who wait." Very good things, in his case. The absolute best things. By which he meant a bronze, honestly. "They'll hatch sooner than you think, anyway, and once the dragons start coming out, it'll all happen so quickly you'll hardly remember anything that happened." Even a blue-sired clutch had been like that. Bronson was basically a pro at this now, so he was happy to pass on his wisdom to the next generation of candidates.
Fort
L'fy of Brown Dioth | Going Merry (flit)
B'layk of Blue Radarth
Wingsecond G'las of Green Quenith | Dazzle (flit)
Weyrling Br'on of Green Mesomelath | Apolline (flit)
Y'olai of White Tsukasath
Jackrum of Brown Krusk
Columbo of Blue Lumsk | Dog (flit)
Attolia of Cinder Attolisk
Ronica of White Onisk and Brown Osk
Assistant Headwoman Houlihan | Soldier (flit)
Candidate Heiro | Thetis (flit)
High Reaches
Dani of Bronze Bladeth | Ceecee (flit)
Barca of Brown Brynth
Healer's Wingleader Y'ang of Brown Kullilth | Bokhee (flit)
Diamond of Garnet Hyliath | Spessartine Skud (flit)
Elross of Blue Hisahith
Weyrling Ry'n of Green Yuelith
Dukat of Bronze Dusk
Maritza of Garnet Arisk
Ennis of Green Ennisk and Green Szensk
Weyrfolk Anabella
Candidate Miguel
Candidate Nayru
Wher Candidate Haron
Semaca
M'ten of Garnet Noggoth
Weyrleader B'ram of Blue Sininulth | Sunrise (flit)
Bre'q of Blue Ostoriath
D'ax of Blue Firarith | Kahless (flit)
F'lin of Green Eraelth | Rusty (flit)
Tychon of Green Ezanath | Thalassa Narcissa (bird)
Weyrling S'ra of White Moggeth
Dunsmith of Brown Dunsk | Filly (flit)
Rosethorn of Garnet Thornsk and Brown Rosesk
Candidate Hamuntep
Arcane
Thread Conqueror

Thu Oct 10, 2024 11:23 pm
  • Link

Candidate Mithras- Costanza

Mithras did not approve of queens wielding their power for power's sake, but she was sensible enough to recognize when an order had to be given and obeyed. The eggs were hatching. The dragonets would need riders.

Which meant the candidates needed to be there before they hatched.

She got herself ready, as efficiently as she could and hurried towards the hatching sands. The heat of the sands was a welcome relief from the winter chill.

Mithras gave Serapheth the same polite curtsey she would give to any dragon mother and took her place on the sands.

This was Mithras' third clutch and she had been a candidate for nearly four turns. She knew the rules and intended to respect them.

Mithras spotted a candidate standing alone, who was newer to the weyr, and walked over to join him with a smile, "It's exciting, isn't it? Your first clutch, I mean. Do you have your eye on an egg? If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've done this a couple of times already."

He had taken the same classes as her but there was a difference between learning in the classroom and learning through experience. One sometimes best bridged by a peer.

Mithras had not been standing as long as many candidates, she reminded herself, as she looked out over the clutch. She had no right to have expected to Impress sooner or to feel impatient. Some candidates stood for nearly a decade.

But somewhere deep down- she had always thought she would be one of the ones to Impress quickly. Maybe her vanity was why the dragons never looked at her with favor.

Relli of Garnet Relsk and Blue Resk- Esther

Relli did not need to be here. None of her children planned to take to the hatching sands that day. As she was not a dragonrider, she would never fight shoulder to shoulder with the young riders who Impressed.

But the hour was an easy one for a wherhandler, right around the time Relli's day usually began. And if a hint of storm hung in the chilly air? Relli had a thick leather coat and two cups of hot klah to warm her hands. What sort of wherhandler was she if she let a bit of snow frighten her off?

Relli searched for Esther in the stands, easily picking out Krugith from the crowd, the green's markings by now familiar.

She made her way over and offered Esther one of the cups, smiling at both rider and dragon, "It's good to see you both. I believe I still owe you a cup of klah from last hatching. May I join you?"
Fort
Essa of Bronze Gectusith
Hunter of Bronze Yndesk
Quinn of Bronze-White Louicyth
Wingleader S'bor of Bronze Yugoth
Allag of Brown Babyloth
Daphne of Brown Ogatath
ACM Estelle of Brown Jaehaeryth
Faralyn of Brown Grooth
Gymlin of Brown Glacendath
Ieyasu of Brown Ieyask
P'pin of Brown Palath
T'rin of Brown Celeth
Cole of Garnet Colsk and Blue Colodeosk
G'er of Garnet Neozeoth
Lily of Garnet Eridieth
N'ell of Garnet Pamith
Relli of Garnet Rellivask and Blue Relsk
Augury of Blue Velveth
Chrysanthe of Blue Bidath
Gellera of Blue Virtrath
Korra of Blue Raavath
Kyoshi of Blue Rugrunth
Miryem of Blue Riwenth
Thor of Blue Hinokath
Sam'in of Blue Salineath
Adora of Green Meilith
Elyron of Green Elyrosk
Kiriani of Green Tabesleuth
Wingsecond L'ir of Green Byth
Quintar of Green Task
S'atyl of Green Nineveth
Makoto of White Usakinth
M'ieln of White Hroth
Rhaenys of White Cosmiath
Wingleader Tyrion of White Voluntauth
Actaeon
Mithras
High Reaches
Cynthia of Gold Eliask
Ce'na of Bronze Noath
Hela of Bronze Helsk and Brown Hesk
Azul of Brown Claarisath
Di'a of Brown Kasshuth
Dobby of Brown Kersuth
I'lir of Brown Belliorath
Ingrid of Brown Delinarth
Wingleader Myalla of Brown Enarth
Th'ou of Brown Pavith
Arya of Garnet Xrhuth
Wingsecond D'ark of Garnet Masreith
Duke of Garnet Legiath
Drusilla of Garnet Drusk
Squadsecond Tomas of Garnet Tomask and White Tsk
Weyrling Master Camilla of Blue Kamuith
Edda of Blue Katakurth
Jace of Blue Gallath
Jae of Blue Zappath
Sayla of Blue Sacroth
Sha'm of Blue Taarisoth
Stroud of Blue Strouth
Tamara of Blue Requeth
Ya'ra of Blue Dymrith
Yvaen of Blue Bolduth
Zhuli of Blue Zhusk and Blue Lisk
Kanon of Green Kibeth
Kip of Green Amizuth
Numann of Green Rannath
Raine of Green Spriggth
Wilred of Green Lresk and Blue Wilrsk
Sokka of Green Wintrath
T'ir of Green Blysith
Riku of White Taissath
Aragon
Pyeta
Semaca Weyr
Arena of Void Oscamith
Alayna of Gold Wyzeth
Al'bus of Bronze Matanuth
Noor of Bronze Nuunieth
Schneizel of Bronze Damocleth
Athan of Brown Liraeth
Hermione of Brown Echoneth
K'zon of Brown Rurosuth
Sage of Brown Wisketoth
Shuri of Brown Motath
Varda of Brown Magmeth
Ei of Garnet Eisk
Karlach of Garnet Ussk
Ly'nk of Garnet Sakuyath
Maui of Garnet Mausk and Blue Mask
Uruk of Garnet Georsath
Artemis of Blue Phoebuth
Corleon of Blue Corleosk and White Corlesk
D'vir of Blue Cainhurth
Candidatemaster Naxen of Blue Anitoth
N'aya of Blue Ilouth
Point Rigel of Blue Cygneth
Ariel of Green Kshatriyath
Eleanor of Green Elsk
Eli'us of Green Sallith
Mi'wa of Green Ephiith
Natsuno of Green Minamith
L'ani of Green Haillenarth
Rhea of Green Rheask
Captain Vella of Green Vellask and Magma Vesk
V'rell of Green Peridoth
Wyatt of Green Emilith
Laera of White Tarth
Kowal of White Kowalsk
Pasca of White Judgmeth
R'tan of White Mazath
Steward Molly
Francesca
Tarva
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrling

Thu Oct 10, 2024 11:53 pm
  • Link

Candidate Costanza - Mithras

Costanza jumped at the sound of someone speaking to him. He had been so focused on the eggs and quelling his own inner turmoil that he had not heard the other candidate approach. "Oh, thank you, That's kind of you to offer," he replied, trying to sound like he was composed and not-at-all nervous. It wasn't a convincing act.

"I have a few that I like. I'm fond of Bubbling Brew in particular. Are there any that you're looking at?" He asked. Small talk was easy and a welcome distraction from the anticipation of the first dragonette hatching. Though he was making conversation with Mithras, he was still anxiously eyeing the eggs.

_______

Candidate Aneesa - Heiro

Aneesa smiled warmly at the other candidate. "Yes, I'm Aneesa. You're Heiro, right? I'm not nervous, not really," she said, maintaining her smile. She focused her attention on the other woman in front of her. "I think I'm more excited than anything!"

At the mention of her beelining for the back, she laughed. "I didn't mean to make you worry! I just wanted to make sure no one got stuck back here with no one to talk to and felt left out. There's a lot of people here, so I was concerned that maybe some of the shier candidates would hide away from the eggs with no one to talk to. Seems like we had the same idea!"
Dragon_Dreamer_2018
Wingrider

Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:11 am
  • Link

Candidate Rekka - Nielle, open

The sun was setting, and the oppressive air pressure had Rekka itching for something to happen. Was that approaching storm going to break, were those dragon eggs going to finally crack, or would this pot she was tasked with watching ever actually BOIL? She huffed, hazel eyes narrowed at the offending pot as she brushed away a stray gingery curl from her face.

Wow, the general tedium of the candidates waiting and waiting and WAITING for Hatching Day was getting to the young redhead more than they thought. Rekka didn’t even have a bad dad joke in mind to help lighten the mood! Absolutely fardling perfect.

But then, all of a sudden, something did happen.

A strange, multi-tonal vibrating hum began reverberating across the Weyr straight into their ears, and even into their own bones.

..What the forsk? THAT doesn’t sound like thunder. Rekka glanced up and about the room from their little death-glaring contest with the pot, their brows momentarily knitting together in bewilderment. “..WHAT is that???” The question was quickly drowned out by the sheer volume of the building hum. Only to be answered by Serapheth’s mindvoice bellowing into her mind—as it did into everyone else’s all across the entire Weyr—and it left behind in Rekka a sudden realisation like she’d been hit by a stack of bricks.

OHHH, the EGGS were hatching??!

Rekka immediately abandoned their task with a loud celebratory whoop; the wooden spoon barely even making it onto the countertop before the young candidate was already sprinting out the door. New mission: Run straight to the Candidate Barracks; find their white brand-new robes, and then go!

Half-out-of-breath by the time she got to her room, Rekka nevertheless grabbed the crisply pristine garment from its place by her bed, and hurriedly slipped herself into it. A quick glance in the mirror to ensure she looked presentable, even as she swiped up a pale-coloured headscarf decorated with floral details, and neatly tied it over her vibrant curls. Perfect!

Now that they’d gotten their breath back, and their sour mood was already lifting, Rekka promptly swept out almost as precipitously as they had arrived, the short redhead bobbling along in the crowd as they joined the stream of Candidates already pouring into the Hatching Sands.

It seemed like everybody were all bowing to the golden clutchmother again, like they’d done at the Touching, so Rekka followed suit with a suitably flamboyant bow of her own. Abruptly remembering the stinging scolding she’d received back then, the energetic candidate elected to keep her mouth shut and just grin winningly in a very teenagerish attempt at a non-offensive respectful greeting. No terrible dad jokes for Serapheth! The other candidates, though… they were fair game. Tonight’s event was different from the Touching, though, for Rekka was suddenly aware that there seemed to be an audience, of what looked like families and friends and weyrfolk and so on already filtering into the Stands. Plus, there was also that absolutely HUGE storm just looming over them from somewhere beyond the fireheights, darkening the fading twilight skies even further with its presence. Woah..

There was probably a good—or rather, bad—dad joke Rekka could make in there somewhere, but—oh, look!

An egg was rocking, wildly. Did that mean it was about to hatch???!

Rekka remarked enthusiastically to Nielle, albeit at a reasonably pitched level that only the candidates could hear, “Oh, man, this is soooo eggsciting!!! Are you eggcited? I am!!”

Junior Weyrleader Kreta of Blue Eseath - G’las

Meanwhile, Kreta was first alerted by the sensation she immediately recognised as draconic hum, every wave of it deeply vibrating into her bones. It rolled over her from through the very stones, shortly followed by secondary echoes of the same hum emanating from the likes of Eseath and little Leirath.

Aha, so it would seem this clutch intended to have a sunset Hatching!

How lovely; and a welcome change from many of Serapheth’s clutches’ usual timing of midnight for Hatchings. Kreta smiled over at Eseath fondly as she rose from her desk; leaving the paperwork there on its wooden surface for the time being, for there was a Hatching to attend!

She knew G’las probably had gone on ahead and insisted on reserving a seat for her, which the Deaf bluerider appreciated; after all, any of the new weyrlings who Impressed this evening could one day potentially choose the newly-formed Equinox Wing as their wing to graduate into, which meant some preemptive eyeballing of their potential future members would be important. Plus, how could anyone ever resist seeing a new batch of adorable little hatchlings enter the world? The current Junior Weyrleader grinned as she quickly changed into the new long-sleeved tunic she’d chosen just for the occasion, knots prominent upon her shoulder, even as nimble fingers redid her customary braid. A quick glance at her reflection, to ensure her appearance remained as professionally presentable as was appropriate for someone of her position. She then temporarily removed her glasses to give her face a quick splash of water; and once skin was patted dry, her spectacles were swiftly returned to its place upon the bridge of her nose. Satisfied that she now seemed suitably dressed and ready, the dark-haired bluerider hurried on over to Eseath.

In the meantime, her tiny flit yawned; Leirath barely needed Kreta’s firm reminder to stay home, as the little white practically had the entire Hatching routine down in muscle memory by now, since they’d all done the whole song and dance so many times. Besides, it felt so much warmer inside the bed furs! Kreta chuckled, even as she easily scaled her way up into her accustomed position upon her watercoloured blue. Okay. I’m ready! Let’s go, m’love.

And go, we will. Eseath replied, her muscles bunching and rippling beneath Kreta’s legs as she proceeded to leap off the weyrledge into the wintery chill. The pair circled briefly above the Sands, until Eseath found herself a perfectly good perch to touch down on. Kreta glanced uneasily up at the uglily looming storm beyond the fireheights’ ridges; one look at that dark broiling mass of cloud building up into the fading twilight sky, and she could tell that this storm likely would be quite the tempest. Winter storms were rarely good, even on a great day, and this one in particular did not disabuse her of that notion! She devoutly hoped it would not arrive until well after all the hatchlings had hatched and were safely inside the Weyr proper, even as she slid down off of Eseath. Thank you for the lift, Eseath, love.

No problem. Go on, Kreta; looks to me like G’las has indeed saved you a seat.

Of course he has. Aha! I see her.

Her bespectacled gaze had just managed to pick out G’las from the crowds already congregating to their seats. Excellent! Kreta strode on down through the Stands until she’d reached the seats her wingsecond had apparently claimed, and lightly gave the sitting greenrider a tap on the shoulder.

Hello G’las. I don’t suppose this seat is taken? She signed, grinning broadly.
FORT WEYR

Kreta of Blue Eseath (Equinox Wingleader, firelizard Leirath)

Xinia of Blue Yhargulth (firelizard Moonshine; originally HR, Impressed @ Fort)

Elgiibel of Green Elgiisk (firelizard Fireball Phoenix)

A’mi of Bronze Voidarth

Bolin of White Bolisk (originally of Igen. Firelizard NameHere)

D’ain of Brown Renouth (firelizard NameHere)

P’earl of Garnet Aemith (originally of Telgar. Firelizard Solar)

Candidate Rekka (originally of Southern Boll)

HIGH REACHES WEYR

Viela of Green Oveceth (firelizard Treble; originally Fortian, Impressed @ HR)

L’ana of Brown Jomuroreth (firelizard Smoke)

Candidate Palindrome (firelizard Terret)

Bet’ti of Blue Trichath (feline Sushi; firelizard Evermore)

Emogi of Green Emogisk and Bronze Mogisk (firelizard Daisy Daze)

SEMACA WEYR

Trewyra of Green Orbith (originally of Igen. Firelizard Nexus)

Saekri of Green Paradisoth (originally of Ista; feline Felida)

Palico of White Himuroth (originally of High Reaches. Firelizard Sudsy)

E’nome of Blue Belleroth (Assistant Candidate Master; originally of Telgar. Firelizard Bubbles)

Weyrling Dew of Garnet Freth (originally of Ista; firelizard Moon)

Ranya of White Dayvith (runnerbeast Quilda; firelizard Haldanar)

Z’fyr of Brown Kintsugith (originally of Igen)
Fel
Thread Conqueror

Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:38 am
  • Link

Candidate Kee Tag: Bronson

"Memorable?" Kee asked, tilting her head to the side slightly and giving Bronson a completely nonplussed look. "I mean, I guess every Hatching is probably memorable, but no, that's not what I meant. I meant that the eggs were so awesome at the Touching! They were all so good and friendly, even the ones that were trying to act all tough. I bet they're going to make great partners! Plus, all dragons are cool. They're the best!"

She looked over at the eggs, which were not in fact hatching sooner than she thought given that they weren't hatching right that moment. They should have been!

"I just can't wait to meet my dragon! I hope they're here. There was one egg I thought maybe..." But she didn't want to jinx it by pointing out the Flighty Beacon. Not yet.

Esther of Green Krugith Tag: Relli

Esther had been focused on watching the eggs, which seemed like they'd be cracking at any moment, when she heard the familiar voice. She suddenly looked up, smiling, and gestured to the seat beside her before reaching out to take the offered mug of klah.

Thank you, she signed with her free hand. There was too much humming and the general chatter of most of the Weyr's residents for her to make herself heard, but at least that particular sign could be made one-handed. She stifled a yawn, then took a sip of the klah.

We were hoping you would come, Krugith told Relli. How is the new fire lizard settling in?

Esther's three were curled up in a tangled pile on the bed back indoors, snoozing away. In her sleep, even Little Monster could be sweet rather than an absolute terror.

Candidate Aydholin Tag: Alara

"Not at all!" Aydholin protested, then paused a moment to reconsider what he'd just said. Had he just tried to insist that he had no manners? "Or rather, I do try to be polite, but I wouldn't speak to a lady for that reason alone. As important as manners are, it's hardly worth having to put up with inferior conversation for it."

He though it unlikely that a rider would be boring, at least. He couldn't say that the garnetrider was pretty exactly, but she seemed likely to be interesting. Sometimes that was more important than looks. Besides, she wasn't ugly either; she would never be mistaken for someone who had gotten trampled by a flock of incensed wherries or anything.

He looked over at the garnet as she spoke, even though it wasn't really necessary to look at a dragon while they spoke. It was only polite! "A collection? Yes I suppose that, artfully arranged, even the more garish ones could work. Still, that yellow and blue striped one? The brown one with green stars? Red, pink, and turquoise? I may appreciate daring and bold wardrobe choices, but I'd never consider wearing anything like that. And after all, aren't shells basically clothing for baby dragons? It's what they present to the world first, after all."

And he should have been there to get a close-up look at all of them. It wasn't right. "I haven't heard much good about Serapheth, but I'm certain if you waited for her to be gone... well, what she doesn't know can't hurt her." He winked.
Ignys
Peacekeeper

Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:53 am
  • Link

Candidate Neidellah - Open

Neidellah wasn't the first person on the sands (or the last, thank Faranth). There was already a bit of a crowd in the halls that she had to maneuver through, which she did so with urgency and lack of care. Even once she had escaped the throng of people and approached the line of candidates, she ended up shoulder checking someone - she didn't turn to see who - to get into line. Was that rude? Probably. Did she care? Not really. Not when there were eggs cracking on the sands and a tempermental gold keeping a close eye on them. While she didn't want to cause a fight, she wasn't going to pretend she was actually sorry for bumping into anyone.

She craned her neck to see which egg was hatching first. Big, bright blue... she couldn't remember it's name, or the reaction she had from it at the Touching. Oh well. She settled back in place, glancing uncomfortably between the senior gold and the ominous clouds. For some reason, it felt like something was bound to go wrong. Whether that was the storm, Serapheth, or one of the hatchlings, she wasn't sure, but something was making her skin prickle. Whatever it was, she could handle it. Probably...
Femisis
Wingleader

Fri Oct 11, 2024 3:13 am
  • Link

Candidate Izumi- Tag Timon, mention Aydholin

By now, hatchings were old hat for Izumi. Not that he wasn't excited, of course he was, but having done this several times before, the excitement was a bit muted. Only a bit, mind, as he still nearly tripped over himself in his haste to stand from dinner and back to the barracks to yank his robe on. He felt a pang of sympathy for Aydholin, knowing that his roommate wasn't going to be able to stand this time around, but he didn't linger. Instead he made his way to the sands posthaste, joining up with the rest of the candidates. He turned and skimmed the stands, lifting a hand to wave at Aydholin briefly, before turning back around to look for Timon instead. "Hurry up, I don't wanna stand here by myself," he chuckled.
Fort Weyr
Uryuu of Bronze Frydrykth | Kojaku
Byleth of Brown Gilgath
Cress of Brown Lumiouth
Jushiro of Brown Kotowarith
Megumi of Blue Zoth
Akira of Green Auruth | Kukuri
Gaelio of Green Vacuouth | Kimaris
Li'dyn of Green Vairrianth
Trowa of Green Yasogamith | Heavyarms
Remy of Blue Resk
Weyrling Izumi of Green Xith
High Reaches Weyr
Hong'lu of Bronze Gerauth
Izuku of Bronze Xistanorth
Hitoshi of Blue Telliuth | Riot
Keith of Blue Shinadoth | Romelle
Shouto of Green Drivith | Mnythri
V'dar of Green Liralith
Adaman of Blue Adamansk | Dialga
Juniper of Green Junipesk
Weyrling Saruhiko of Green Neneth
Semaca Weyr
Niriru of Bronze Ziodyneth
Chrom of Garnet Joth | Stahl Zozi
Le'na of Garnet Jeroth
Lio of Garnet Shisenitath | Ringtail
Minato of Blue Charoth
Crowe of White Eclith | Lunafreya
Soran of White Qanth | Exia
Karaze of Blue Karask
Fel
Thread Conqueror

Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:14 am
  • Link

Mera of Bronze Merask Tag: M'lcolm

Mera didn't like leaving Merask behind for this. Her sibling, Keltin, may have had excessively inflammatory ideas sometimes, but when it came to wherhandlers being treated like second-class citizens... they weren't entirely wrong. The fact that Merask wasn't allowed to attend because Serapheth took offense at the existence of whers for no apparent reason... It would be one thing if dragons weren't allowed to attend either. But they were.

If not go, only prove wherhandlers content stand apart. Okay with be drive away. Even if I no go, you go. Besides, know you like cute thing, Merask said, solemn even on his last words. They were no mere flippancy; his handler deserved to enjoy herself sometimes. When there were no more pressing duties. Thankfully, tonight there weren't.

I still don't like it. But Mera sighed, putting on a nice, proper dress of a mid-toned cream color and shaking her curly hair free of her nightcap. Her wher was right, as usual. She just didn't want to have to leave him behind. Not because she couldn't stand to be separated for him, but because the reason was so utterly wrong.

She soon found herself sitting among a great many people, looking down at a large number of eggs. In all her Turns at the Weyr, she had only attended one other dragon hatching. It just wasn't an event she felt as awed by or nostalgic for as some people at the Weyr seemed to be. But now it was apparently necessary for her to make some sort of point just by being there. The idea was almost ludicrous. She was a woman and not a gold rider; political power wasn't for the likes of her.

She glanced up as a man slid off of a huge bronze nearby. Or at least he seemed huge to Mera—most dragons tended to. "No, you haven't missed anything." She had to stop herself from adding "sir". He was a bronzerider. Fort had diverged somewhat from what she'd been taught Weyrs were supposed to be like, growing up at a seahold that only rarely even saw dragons, but that sort of reverence was a difficult habit to break. Even when she was here in part to defy a capricious gold dragon's ideas about whers.

"And I hope they do not inherit that. I have heard disturbing rumors about what she did as a hatchling. And since then."

Keltin of Garnet Kelsk and Green Keltisk Tag: Open

Forsking unfair. Absurd. So ridiculous that even a deep-water fish could see that it was a sharding travesty.

"I hope she chokes on her next herdbeast," Keltin growled under their breath while they tied their boots. "Faranth knows it would be no real loss. Whers barred from the Hatching Grounds indeed. I'd like to bar her from the entire bloody Weyr."

Their tirade continued, thankfully with no audience other than their two whers, who were snuggled sleepily together for warmth. They could feel Kelsk's seething anger at not being allowed to see the cute babies first-hand despite her drowsiness, but the garnet didn't act on her fury. Not for now, at least. She was too comfortable with her nose shoved underneath Keltisk's stubby little wing.

They left the whers and made their way to the Hatching Grounds, a scowl like the approaching storm clouds on their face. Why were they going? Spite.

Several minutes later they finally sat with an audible harrumph, glaring down at the gold lording it up over the sands.

"She reminds me of Evander," they remarked. They'd risen up against him. Kelsk had... well. If that event hadn't given them a thorough distaste for violent conflict, they might have been tempted to do the same again. "Former Lord Holder of Fort. He had the same forsking attitude. Higher than the whole bloody world and to crackdust with anyone who won't bloody bow and scrape before him."
Ezra
Wingleader

Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:13 am
  • Link

Candidate Nielle - Rekka, Open

Nielle had been pulled from her mind musings and focus for a second when she was joined by Rekka. She knew the other candidate a bit, namely because she had been trying harder to learn the names of all her classmates. Who knew which ones would be weyrlings with her and in her future wing after all? Besides.. she wanted more friends. Hearing the comment, she could not hold back the snort of amusement... that pun was so bad it was hilarious! " Hah! Not only am I eggcited, I am feeling eggcellent about our chances tonight, how about you?" She quipped back, grinning slightly, her earlier tension broken for a moment. She was careful to keep her voice quiet though to not draw Serapheth or the candidate master's ire by being disrespectful. Her gaze drifted back to the Entangled Gems egg. " Look there, that one is cracking excited to join us. Do you have a favorite egg?" She asked, brushing a golden strand of her hair out of her face. The other's excitement was honestly adorable.

------------------

Ryne of Green Iseleth - Aoi, Open

Ryne had decided today she wanted to go watch a hatching. She didnt do it that often since her impression turns earlier but yet, here she was. Iseleth settled in with the other dragons, looking bored with the world to anyone that didn't know the dragon well enough to see she was actually content, feeding off her rider's excitement at viewing the hatching. As Ryne looked for a seat, she noticed Aoi sitting by himself and took a seat beside him. " Hello there, I hope its okay if I sit here? If not, I can move elsewhere. I'm Ryne of Green Iseleth, if we have not met. I apologize if we have, I sometimes get names and faces mixed up. " She said, looking down at the sand and recognized a few faces.. she thought. But there of course were so many new ones too. " Those are really pretty eggs. Anyone down there that you know?" She asked, twirling a strand of her strawberry hued hair around a finger.

Iseleth sighed and shifted position and accidently bumped a dragon next to her lightly with her left wing. " Apologies. Twas an accident." The green offered and curled her front right leg up like a human and rested her head on the bottom of the foot, her pose almost human like and very much like her Ryne when she was deep in thought.
Last edited by Ezra on Fri Oct 11, 2024 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitarial
Candidate

Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:42 am
  • Link

N’mi of Green Yuiryth - Y’olai

N’mi grinned at the person beside him, their energy apparently matching his own. Yuiryth’s voice in his mind sounded distinctly like a sigh at the thought of another person as energetic as N’mi, but he ignored her in favor of replying to Y’olai. Belatedly, he realized the other rider was correct, they were in fact wingmates!

”It really is exciting to witness, even after years of being a rider! And how exciting that this is your first one to witness as a full rider!” he said first, only taking a moment to breathe after Yuiryth’s reminder to. Breathe, N’mi. He’s not going anywhere. she scolded her rider, and he took her advice for a moment before launching into another reply to Y’olai. “We are in the same wing! Nice to meet you, I’m N’mi, of green Yuiryth!”
High Reaches
Blue of Brown Prarirth
Cater of Blue Sprath
Chuuya of Blue Yask and White Chusk
Weyrling Fen of Blue Molloth
Tobirama of Blue Edolath
Shikamaru of Green Konoith
Fort Weyr
Enma of Garnet Enmask
Kiyoomi of Brown Chiyamath
Genma of Green Hanatarith
N’mi of Green Yuiryth
Seto of White Bruueyeth
Candidate Bede
Semaca Weyr
Sanvi of Bronze Sanvisk and Blue Sask
A’cheng of Garnet Quebeleth
S’ui of Brown Buetoth
Ridelle of Blue Pothecath
Sakura of Blue Kleeth
Deng of Green Engsk
Kazuyuki of Green Kazoth
nineofswords
Peacekeeper

Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:43 am
  • Link

Heiro - Aneesa

Heiro nodded with a smile when Aneesa confirmed her name. "I'm glad to hear that you're excited," she said. That was always so much better than nervous, in Heiro's opinion. "I am as well. It's all very thrilling, isn't it?"

She laughed when Aneesa said why she'd gone straight to the back. "Well then, it would appear that we are kindred spirits," she said. "Hatchings are times of such high emotions, both good and bad, and no one should be alone under such circumstances." As a bit of a wallflower herself, she knew that from experience.

G'las of Green Quenith - Kreta

G'las turned at the tap and gave Kreta a smile. "Well hello, darling. I was wondering when you'd make an appearance. I thought I was supposed to be the one who's always fashionably late," she said with a chuckle, using sign as well as speech so that his superior wouldn't have to work too hard to read her lips if Kreta didn't want to. He gestured for Kreta to join her, then turned his attention back to the sands. She clicked his tongue. "Drat. I should've brought a fan. I never do know what to do with my hands while I'm waiting for these things to hatch." G'las wasn't typically one for hatchings, so she was out of practice spectating them. Babies were cute, he supposed, but not terribly good at much until they got bigger. G'las didn't especially like children, which was why she was a wingsecond and not a nursemaid, creche minder, or candidatemaster. But, this seemed like an occasion he should attend, and so here she was.

He turned to Kreta after a moment. "Do you have any money riding on this hatching, or are you not a gambler?" she asked. He supposed they could always talk about the children on the sands below, but considering they didn't even know which ones would end up on smaller mounts, G'las didn't see a lot of point to it until they knew for sure who was even an option.

Bronson - Kee

"Well sure, every hatching is memorable," Bronson said. "But I'm gonna be a bronzerider by the end of this hatching, and I'm gonna be the best bronzerider in history. Trust me, you're gonna be grateful you were here to see it happen in person." He had absolutely no doubts about the outcome of today's hatching.

"Yeah, I guess most of the eggs were pretty cool at the touching," he agreed. "A few certainly have attitude problems, but they shouldn't be a problem." Not for him, anyway. They'd been all bluster, surely, and wouldn't actually do anything to a bronzerider. Assuming his bronze actually hatched before the little nasty ones, anyway...not that he'd admit that he was scared of them, nope, definitely not. The Beast's Stripes and Royal Bee were definitely not things to be scared of.

"Dragons are the best," he agreed. "And I think you have a pretty good shot at impressing, especially if an egg particularly liked you. I know one egg really spoke to me, so I have a good feeling about this hatching."
Fort
B'layk of Blue Radarth
Jackrum of Brown Krusk
High Reaches
Barca of Brown Brynth
Elross of Blue Hisahith
Dukat of Bronze Dusk
Maritza of Garnet Arisk
Weyrfolk Anabella
Candidate Miguel
Candidate Nayru
Wher Candidate Haron
Semaca
M'ten of Garnet Noggoth
Bre'q of Blue Ostoriath
Candidate Hamuntep
Agenothree
Peacekeeper

Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:52 am
  • Link

Candidate Timon - R'ydia, Nielle, Rekka, Izumi

Timon had thought it was going to be a quiet evening, as quiet as those before, as sunset heralded an end to day. But as he was walking off to catch a bath, stretching an arm lazily above his head, a hum of hundreds of voices set Fort's walls trembling. An age-old sign of what was happening, a signal that a weyrbred boy and an experienced Candidate would understand instinctively. Before Serapheth's voice called Candidates and spectators to witness her eggs, he was running to get ready, cursing under his breath. A quick splash to ensure he looked (and smelled) worthy to Stand, he rushed to find his robes and toe on his sandals. One last check, a nervous grin in his looking glass, and he was off again.

Hurrying onto Fort's sands, Timon immediately bowed to Serapheth, managing a little smile too as he joined his classmates. Before he saw someone he recognized, a voice was shouting down to him, prompting him to look up and see his sister, yelling encouragement and her faith in him. Grinning, he waved up at her like a celebrity to an adoring fan, strutting his way among his fellows. Spying a face he'd grown steadily fonder of (but she didn't need to know that) since surviving being attacked by whers together, he made a beeline to Nielle. Rekka was nearby too, her usual jokes meeting his ears, spotting Izumi not far either, who told him to hurry up and come stand together.

"Alright, yeesh!" Timon answered, grinning. "It's like you think I'm going slow as syrup here." Shifting his focus to Serapheth's eggs, he pondered them all. Fourteen eggs. Fourteen chances to walk from here a weyrling. Five Turns ago, he was a fresh Candidate, expecting he'd be one of those lucky ones to Impress his first try. But he'd since grown older and learned better, been snubbed countless times, been left to watch his former classmates get what should've been his: a dragon's trust. Timon breathed in, slowly, and let it go. That wasn't important here. Looking to his friends again, he pointed a comment toward them all, perhaps in an effort to waylay some dad jokes and spare himself Serapheth's ire too. "That egg sure is rocking up a storm, huh? Wonder what's inside..."

Dorian of Green Meguyakuth - E'tin, Nielle, Mithras, Ryne, Kurabeth

It was a beautiful evening in Fort, sunset bathing everything in a gentle glow as light steadily faded. But such tranquility had a possibility of being ruined by a storm, something wicked that one could practically smell incoming, though it was still far off. Dorian wasn't inclined to see an occasion as celebrated as a hatching be tarnished by foul weather, putting himself together upon hearing dragons humming and Serapheth's call to gather, sighing to himself as he ran a hand down his rather tasteful tunic to smooth a wrinkle, much to his dissatisfaction at finding a wrinkle. Under normal circumstances, everything he owned would be in pristine condition, ready for all occasions. But Nielle showing up at his door not a sevenday ago had been a wakeup call he apparently wasn't aware he'd needed, so much so that he made an effort to be present and presentable.

For Nielle's sake, a Candidate and friend who stood again to hopefully find her destiny. For E'tin, whose eyes seemed to follow him those rare instances he'd left his quarters, who seemed to know more than he let on about Dorian's plight, much to his embarrassment. For Mithras, his dearest friend almost since his arrival at Fort, who too stood hopeful today. For Meguyakuth, who deserved his best most of all and hadn't received that for too long. For all his mistakes, to perhaps be made right.

While Meguyakuth found her own place on a ledge as far from other dragons as she could, Dorian wove his way among other spectators until he saw someone he wasn't sure he was glad to see or dreaded to face. E'tin. Clearing his throat quietly, he made his way closer, hoping to catch Nielle or Mithras' gaze by happenstance. Should such an instance occur, he waved down to them; he didn't want to shout, both to spare them all embarrassment and to keep from incurring Serapheth's ire. Seeing Ryne among those watching too, he waved to her as well, though she seemed engaged by someone else; he wasn't about to trouble her either. Deciding he'd dawdled long enough, he found an empty place by E'tin and seated himself promptly, confidently, like it was reserved for him. "A good day to you," he quipped in greeting, like he had no idea who E'tin was, a small curve to his lips showing his amusement at his little game.

Meguyakuth hadn't planned on talking. Why would she? But that was before she saw Kurabeth. Focusing on him, her tail curling along her paws as she crouched uneasily on her ledge, she spoke quietly. Kurabeth... she began, as though she was at a loss for words, like she didn't know what else to say to her brother. It's... Changed her mind and switched directions. Are you well? But before she could go on, a dragon close to her flank bumped her, seemingly by accident, but it still elicited a small hiss as she shrank away a little, pulling her wings and tail closer to her body.

Mackenzie of Spectrolite Kenziesk - Retsuko

As dragons hummed and Serapheth herself called Candidates and others of Fort to witness her clutch's arrival, before a fading sun and winter's first storm slowly rolling in, Mackenzie found himself walking into Fort's stands, to find a place to watch Candidates find fortune. Though no one he was particularly close to was standing today, he still often liked to be present and see it all happen. Finding a place to sit, they spotted a face they thought not to see here, immediately changing direction to find Retsuko. "Retsuko, how wonderful to see you!" Mackenzie greeted cheerfully. "Would you mind my company?"
nineofswords
Peacekeeper

Fri Oct 11, 2024 10:07 am
  • Link

Y'olai of White Tsukasath - N'mi

"Oh yeah, that's how I know you! Hey, good to formally meet you! I'm Y'olai of White Tsukasath. He's off skulking in the back somewhere, just watching everything. He likes to do that. Me, I just like running, but hatchings are pretty cool too!" They were wiggling in their seat, unable to keep still in their excitement and enthusiasm.

"So how about you? Do you like running? Or, um, I dunno, I'm guessing you like stuff other than hatchings, right? Although those are pretty cool too! Hatchings are great, I'm not saying they aren't, I'm just wondering what else it is that you like!"

This is certainly a different vantage point from what you remember, Tsukasath pointed out to his rider. It is most intriguing. I will have to see how this hatching compares to your memories of my own. Perhaps this hatching would be worth witnessing for him after all.
Fort
B'layk of Blue Radarth
Jackrum of Brown Krusk
High Reaches
Barca of Brown Brynth
Elross of Blue Hisahith
Dukat of Bronze Dusk
Maritza of Garnet Arisk
Weyrfolk Anabella
Candidate Miguel
Candidate Nayru
Wher Candidate Haron
Semaca
M'ten of Garnet Noggoth
Bre'q of Blue Ostoriath
Candidate Hamuntep
Calingaladha
Candidate

Fri Oct 11, 2024 10:19 am
  • Link

Alara of Garnet Alubrath - Tag: Aydholin

"If you're looking for a lady, I'd hardly be considered much of one, but you're right that an interesting conversation is better than just manners alone. All the bowing and 'yes sirs' in the world can't fix a snoozefest talk." Alara grinned.

Alubrath's comment made her sigh just a little. "I'm going to end up with egg shard in my bed, aren't I?" but she didn't actually seem upset, charmed as usual by her friendly garnet.

Alubrath took the jibe with a soft snort, but replied to Aydholin just as cheerfully as before.

I guess they could be called clothes. Though I think for a dragonet, it's more like a blanket. Keeps you warm and out of sight until you're ready, and humans like colorful blankets. The garnet reasoned.

I will wait until she leaves. Once the hatchlings are gone, she will have no reason to linger, and then I will see what I can get. Any of the drudges who come to clean up will have a little less work to do, then.

Alare giggled just a little. "Maybe we should get you a dragon-sized broom and scoop for just such things."
Fort Weyr

Alara of Garnet Alubrath
Edward of Bronze Warsk
Wafflous, the fighting cook

Semaca Weyr
Saralia of White Nahangyth
Xanatos the Journeyman Smith
Garma of Green Vranath

High Reaches Weyr
Kovu, Herder
Mahi of Garnet Kubith
Lark the Harper
MothyCake
Peacekeeper Captain

Fri Oct 11, 2024 10:39 am
  • Link

Aoi of Blue Kurabeth - Ryne, Meguyakuth

Aoi was surprised to hear someone talk to him, turning and smiling at Ryne, "Not at all, go right ahead." He was happy to talk to someone in the hatching, remembering his days when he would talk to Asch on the sands. "I'm Aoi of Blue Kurabeth. My dragon is the one beside me. It's nice to meet you, Ryne." The blue turned his head and seemed to give a friendly sound before he heard someone else speaking to him. He turned his head, eyes locking with Meguyakuth. He remembered his sister decently, mostly due to Aoi sharing his memories with him of their years as weyrlings. In fact, it seemed like every new interaction would be memorized by the dragon through his rider.

"Meguyakuth, it is good to see you again! How are you and Dorian doing?" The dragon spoke in his easy going, friendly voice as always. It had seemed like Kurabeth and Aoi had been a good match, as they worked well together. This also meant that Kurabeth did not need to worry about leaving home, as it was clear to Aoi that he enjoyed being in Fort Weyr. "Do the sands remind you of our hatching day? Aoi shared so many memories of his previous hatchings with me and the sands almost feel nostalgic to me."
Fort
Z'rya of Bronze Gravith (Midnight Wing)
Wingleader Ozma of Brown Akioth (Eclipse Wing)
Regal of Brown Brickth (Eclipse Wing)
Arashi of Garnet Hercegth (Twilight Wing)
Squilf of Garnet Tamiascith (Twilight Wing)
Clover of Blue Kurceth (Aurora Wing)
Sak'rou of Blue Hastuth (Daylight Wing)
Shulk of Blue Arachoth (Daylight Wing)
Eichi of Blue Cheruth (Twilight Wing)
Aoi of Blue Kurabeth (Daylight Wing)
Journeyman Healer Kouichi of Green Kuzoth (Healer's Wing)
Haru of Green Rosaceaeth (Aurora Wing)
Flynn of Green Nith (Daylight Wing)
Perryl of Green Pyrrhiath (Aurora Wing)
Trein of Green Ideth (Daylight Wing)
Alder of Green Unnverdath (Healer's Wing)
Zanza of Gold Zansk (Dusk Squad)
Yuri of Blue Yurisk (Dawn Squad)
Reyn of Green Reysk (Dawn Squad)
Eclipsa of Green Eclipsk (Dawn Squad)
Zagi of Green Zask and Blue Zagisk (Dusk Squad)
Weyrling Fujin of Green Sativuth
Candidate Loek
High Reaches
Leon of Bronze Chopith (Firestorm Wing)
Jason of Bronze Jezeroth (Firestorm Wing)
Zia of Brown Molossth (Stormlight Wing)
Weiss of Garnet Glyphith (Moonshot Wing)
Jacek of Garnet Rinisath (Moonshot Wing)
Vil of Garnet Syzygiuth (Moonshot Wing)
J'ack of Blue Reyth (Starfall Wing)
Oscar of Blue Currth (Raindance Wing)
Mikleo of Blue Denizth (Starfall Wing)
Flora of Green Linpheth (Healer's Wing)
L'ouis of Green Tomoeth (Raindance Wing)
Edsel of Green Rexcalith (Raindance Wing)
Trey of Green Clovith (Raindance Wing)
Graham of Green Paceth (Healer's Wing)
Sol of White Ateth (Healer's Wing)
Magnius of Brown Magniusk and Green Agnisk (Windsong Squad)
Maple of Green Plesk (Sunburst Squad)
Ironwood of White Ironwosk (Windsong Squad)
Weyrling Ge'is of Green Mimikyuth
Candidate Inosuke
Journeyman Smithcrafter Kvar
Semaca
Wei'ling of Porcelain Chenqith (Lamentoso Squad)
Damario of Bloodstone Dask (Pavane Squad)
Glassi of Brown Fuwath (Nocturne Wing)
Penny of Brown Sedatath (Pavane Squad)
Zelos of Blue Lupruth (Chopin Squad)
Shinku of Blue Cinnimith (Pavane Squad)
Aegis of Blue Imorth (Pavane Squad)
Kyros of Blue Callioth (Minuet Wing)
Dedue of Green Essengeth (Chopin Squad)
Solhrae of Green Herth (Requiem Squad)
Sylvanas of Green Amaeth (Requiem Squad)
Akai of Green Norrith (Mineut Wing)
Edalyn of White Lechuzath (Minuet Wing)
Genn of Brown Gesk (Weyr Guard)
Ercilia of Garnet Ercilisk (Mazurka Squad)
Mariana of Garnet Marisk (Mazurka Squad)
AWH Palutena of Blue Lutenask (Weyr Guard)
Gale of Blue Galsk (Chopin Squad)
Jetsam of Green Tsask (Chopin Squad)
Shamura of Green Murask (Requiem Squad)
Dimitri of White Dimisk (Chopin Squad)
Weyrling Henri of Green Inadameth
Weyrling Wr'ion of Blue Sameth
Journeyman Weaver Amara
Pirate Alun
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux