Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

[Dragon_Dreamer] Art of Dragons

The center part of the Weyr. It stretches out from stone to stone. Grasslands stretch across the dirt, and there is a freshwater lake on the southwest side, near the feeding grounds.
Tyto
Holder

Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:51 pm

[Dragon_Dreamer] Art of Dragons

Sitting near the middle of the bowl was probably not the wisest decision in the world, but one could hardly move them if they tried--shy of physically manhandling them away.

Kylan had taken up a spot with their sketching pad near the well-worn track of Bowl where dragons and their riders lifted off and landed. The grass had been long since worn to dirt, which kicked up with powerful wingbeats--but it didn't seem to bother them at all. In fact, they'd brought their riding goggles for the day just to sit here--goggles that were actually getting a bit too small for them now. They'd been fitted for them as a child--back then they'd been so large that they'd nearly taken up their entire face.

It had been so long since they'd gotten to go on a leisure flight with their parents, and they were well into Candidate age regardless. Maybe soon they'd have a reason to have them replaced. But, well--if not, that wasn't too terrible either. A part of them wanted to experience what their parent had, but they were also fine with being just a part of a Weyr as a whole. They'd taken up dragonhealing, they'd always be needed, and they'd always be around dragons. Frankly, they didn't know quite what they'd do if they weren't.

Looking up, they spotted another dragon coming in to land. Picking up their stick of charcoal, they focused intently on their form--scribbling down basic shapes and lines as quickly as they could. They only had a few seconds per dragon to get the look down just right, and trying to draw one landing or taking off was a lot harder than they thought it would be--especially when they were all at different angles. Luckily, they had managed a good couple sketches so far--enough to be happy with at the least.

Maybe they'd be able to get one of the other dragons to let them sketch them up close. Their parent's dragon had been a good model, and one they had at one point had constant access to, but that had been so long ago now. They had improved so much since then!

Riders always seemed so busy though; they didn't know if they wanted to bother them for something so trivial.

They startled as a shadow suddenly loomed over them. Using one hand to shield their eyes from the sun, they looked up to see who may have come to investigate the odd person sitting in the Bowl.
Dragon_Dreamer_2018
Weyrfolk

Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:32 am

And that shadow belonged to none other than Kreta and Eseath.

Kreta had dismounted a few minutes ago, reaching into her pockets for her glasses to swap with the flight goggles she was wearing, when she’d noticed the new face sitting in the middle of the weyrbowl with a sketchpad. Drawing dragons, presumably...

The quick transition from goggles to glasses successful, the deaf bluerider had begun to wander her way over, grabbing her own ever-present notebook and pencil as she went. Leirath the white flit, somehow knowing that her mistress had returned, popped out of between to settle herself back onto her usual perch on Kreta’s shoulder as rider and dragon walked over.

This one has potential, Kreta. I can feel it; there is something about them.

Her dragon’s calm remark made Kreta pause with a gobsmacked expression for a moment, as she looked at the serene blue and then back at the subject of their conversation, as she replied. ...Are you telling me you can actually sense—

—candidate potential. Yes.. I do feel certain of that. I see that this one has already been Searched, though, judging by those shiny new shoulder knots.

...well, then. If you say so, my dearest Eseath, then it must be true! Let’s go say hello.

By now the pair had reached the unfamiliar candidate - Kreta was unable to figure out if they were female or male, despite her highly observant gaze and attention to detail - and she felt her heart do a odd little flip in her chest at the sight of them before it then continued beating like normal, as their two collective shadows startled the sketcher into looking up at rider and dragon. Kreta waited a beat, giving them (and herself) time to recover and, warning the blue to not say anything yet, she semi-nervously held out her notebook. It was open, the bluerider having had already automatically opened it to a often used page with a practiced flick of her flexible fingers beforehand, as the notebook was proffered. In large and beautiful neatly printed letters in her nimble hand, the pre-written message within read:

Hello, nice to meet you!

My name is Kreta; I am a Fort rider, and I’m deaf.

My dragon is Eseath - she is a blue (and she is the most awesome dragon on Pern, in my very biased opinion), and my white firelizard, who is probably sitting on my shoulder as you read this, is Leirath.

What’s your name?

P.S There are three ways you can easily communicate with me:

1 - if you know PSL (Pernese Sign Language), it is a very quick way to ‘talk’ with me, especially if my dragon isn’t there!

2 - If you don’t know PSL but can read and write on paper or slate, that‘s also a good method, even if it’s much slower than what you’re probably used to. You can either write in here or use your own if you like.

3 - and last but not least, if both PSL and writing it down is out, we can always ask Eseath to act as our ‘go-between’ (see what I did there). If you can ‘hear’ her, Eseath can send what I ‘say’ directly to your mind, and you can reply by speaking aloud. She can then convey your words to me via thoughtspeech. :)

There was even a few cute doodles of a blue dragon and a ‘white’ firelizard, hand-drawn in on the otherwise empty corners of the page...
FORT WEYR

Kreta of Blue Eseath (fire-lizard Leirath)

HIGH REACHES WEYR

Weyrling Viela of Green Oveceth (fire-lizard Treble) (originally Fort, Impressed @ HR)

Candidate Xinia (firelizard Moonshine)

SEMACA WEYR

Trewyra of Green Orbith (originally of Igen; Impressed in Semaca. Firelizard NAME HERE)
Tyto
Holder

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:07 am

Blinking a few times in their confusion, first at the silence and then at the offered notebook, Kylan studied the page. Ah, a deaf rider? They had never encountered someone deaf before--though they had been taught the very basics of emergency sign language as a healer. Just enough to be able to communicate basics if absolutely necessary, but it would be a bad idea to try to carry a conversation.

Looking down at their charcoal pencil and the parchment in their sketchbook, they seemed to consider what sort of reply to go with. After a moment, they pushed up their goggles and flipped to a clear page, quickly beginning to jot down their own response. It was a little like passing notes in their lessons, though they'd been far more inclined to pay attention than some of their other classmates. As they finished, they carefully pulled the page apart from the book, flipping it closed and offering it up to Kreta. There was plenty of space for them to exchange it more than a few times before running out of room.

Kylan's own handwriting was not nearly as neat as Kreta's, but it was still plenty legible. Not for lack of skill, clearly, but many Turns of note-taking and practicing shortform Healer jargon.

I am pleased to meet you, Kreta! My name is Kylan.

Please let your Eseath know that she is a very beautiful dragon.

I also have a blue, but he is a firelizard. His name is Beep. I think he is asleep in my quarters right now or I would introduce you properly.
Dragon_Dreamer_2018
Weyrfolk

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:56 pm

Kreta grinned, her happiness evident, when her notebook was accepted, written in, page separated and then passed back, for her to see what they had said.

So this one was Kylan. And they had a firelizard too, named Beep! How adorable!

Still smiling, the deaf bluerider shared with Eseath Kylan’s compliment, which the serene blue felt so very pleased by.
This one is kind, Kreta. I will send them greetings and my thanks.

With a little mental laugh, Kreta replied affectionately;

Alright, go ahead then, but do TRY not to startle him! Or her. I don’t know which gender they are, but that’s okay. I like them already...

Simultaneously, the blue calmly reached out to Kylan’s mind - perhaps they heard her, perhaps not - and simply said in her masculine summer-rainstorm rumble of a mindvoice: Greetings, Kylan. Thank you for your compliment; and as my Kreta has already told you, I am Eseath. I am very pleased to meet you.

Meanwhile, the brown-haired rider’s thought had trailed off because she was now intent on writing her reply under Kylan’s on the freshly torn-out page. Once she was done, Kreta passed it back to Kylan to read, softly smiling, as Leirath shifted slightly in her perch on the young woman’s shoulder.

Hi Kylan,

Eseath is very pleased by your compliment, and Beep sounds like a lovely firelizard! It’s a shame he isn’t here now, but that’s okay, as I’m sure we’ll meet him properly another time. :)

Do you mind if I sit by you? I couldn’t help but notice that your dragon sketches are very good. Did you draw that top one just now?

Two pairs of faceted eyes, firelizard and dragon alike, were calmly swirling in shades of pleasant blues and greens as they interestedly watched the two converse on in their silent way with pencils and paper.
FORT WEYR

Kreta of Blue Eseath (fire-lizard Leirath)

HIGH REACHES WEYR

Weyrling Viela of Green Oveceth (fire-lizard Treble) (originally Fort, Impressed @ HR)

Candidate Xinia (firelizard Moonshine)

SEMACA WEYR

Trewyra of Green Orbith (originally of Igen; Impressed in Semaca. Firelizard NAME HERE)
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux