Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

Blessed are the Cheesemakers [Open]

User avatar
Fel
Thread Destroyer
 
Posts: 8384
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 5:33 pm
Location: Seattle
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:45 pm

Blessed are the Cheesemakers [Open]

Marius was finished with his work for the day, the last of the new wheels of cheese covered in wax to age until spring or summer. He was tired, and the kitchens were always a bit too warm; some of his wavy brown hair was stuck damply to his face. Still, finishing something was always a nice accomplishment, and he wasn't sure how many of those he'd had in his life.

He took a few moments to wash his hands in one of the nearby basins, then grabbed one of the rolls still cooling on the rack—he was certain nobody would really mind—and sat down at one of the low tables in the kitchens, meant for those who were taking a brief break from work. There were bits of bright orange wax on his sleeves, and even now his hands still smelled a bit like rennet, but he didn't really mind.

The rest of the kitchen was mostly still bustling, getting ready for dinner, but he could take a few minutes here. Just a few minutes. A bit of peace among the chaos.
User avatar
ShelbCake
Junior Weyrleader
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:13 am
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:02 pm

Soon, the sound of pots and pans hit the floor as a candidate slipped. He groaned as one of the pots hit his head and he looked at others in the room, "S-sorry, I tripped!" He looked a bit embarrassed, moving to pick up the pots and pans he had dropped and moved to bring them to the sink.

His long brown hair was in the back with a ponytail, the other looking down as he tried to hide his embarrassment. He was doing chores and was cleaning dishes when he had tripped while carrying too many pots and pans and thus, ended up on the floor with them hitting his head and body. He sighed a bit, looking down as he felt tears peek from his eyes.
User avatar
Fel
Thread Destroyer
 
Posts: 8384
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 5:33 pm
Location: Seattle
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:01 pm

At the sound of the loud crash, Marius jumped up and most of the way out of his chair, pushing it back with a rattle. He could feel his heart rate climbing through the roof, and he momentarily pressed his hands against his chest as though that could somehow calm both that and his breathing. He was trying though; despite initially being extremely startled, he was more concerned about the person who had fallen.

"Are you all right?" he asked, looking about as worried as he felt. "If you hit your head, at all, you should really let a Healer check it out."
User avatar
ShelbCake
Junior Weyrleader
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:13 am
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:40 pm

Aoi was surprised when someone walked over and spoke to him. He was a bit surprised, looking at him and gulping a bit, "Y..yeah.. I'm fine.. it mostly hit my body.." He was honestly a bit embarrassed because of the slip, his cheeks a bit red. He was honestly going to be sore in the morning.

"Sorry if I startled you.."
User avatar
Fel
Thread Destroyer
 
Posts: 8384
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 5:33 pm
Location: Seattle
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:50 pm

"It's all right, I get startled by most things. But you said it only mostly fell on your body, and..." Marius' voice was as soft as ever, but his concern was still obvious in his tone, in the slight wrinkling of his forehead. He knew full well what the consequences of head injuries could be.

Brayflox swooped over to her owner's shoulder, cheeping lightly in his ear. The little green had a knack for knowing when he was done with work and could therefore feed her.

"Not right now, cheesehead," he murmured.
User avatar
ShelbCake
Junior Weyrleader
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:13 am
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:16 pm

Aoi nodded and smiled, "I think I avoided getting any really bad injuries on my head. I did get one landing on there, but it didn't hurt that much.." Okay, he was lying. It had hurt quite a bit, but he wanted to finish chores.

However, his eyes grew wide as he saw the flit fly over to the other. He seemed a bit surprised, "Wow.. she's beautiful.."
User avatar
Fel
Thread Destroyer
 
Posts: 8384
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 5:33 pm
Location: Seattle
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:05 pm

"That's still something hitting your head," Marius pointed out. Were all Candidates this... stubborn? He almost wanted to say moronic, because taking unnecessary risks with one's health absolutely was. "It isn't a big deal to let the Healer's just check on things. They're good people." At least he was fairly certain they were. The one's he'd met definitely had been.

He smiled a bit at the comment about Brayflox, reaching up to rub her chest with one finger. "She's being very demanding and hoping for cheese is what she is."
User avatar
ShelbCake
Junior Weyrleader
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:13 am
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:22 pm

Aoi nodded a bit, blushing a bit in embarrassment, "I'll likely see one after my chores.. I don't really want to cause problems for others if I don't do my chores, you know?" He smiled at the flit.

"I've always wanted one, to be honest. Are they a handful to take care of? Are candidates even able to get one?"
User avatar
Fel
Thread Destroyer
 
Posts: 8384
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 5:33 pm
Location: Seattle
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:34 pm

"You'll cause more problems if you've actually done yourself any damage and wait to see a Healer. Just about anyone can wash dishes." There were plenty of people around who could do exactly that. Sure, it was far from Marius' favorite chore, but even he could if he needed to. It wasn't as though he had anything outside of the kitchens to attend to.

He shrugged at the Candidate's question. "How should I know? I'm not a Candidate, and never was one. I don't think, at least. They can be a lot when they're still little though, Brayflox was eating every few hours when I first got her. She still needs to eat pretty often, but she was only born this past spring, so..."
User avatar
ShelbCake
Junior Weyrleader
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:13 am
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:23 pm

Aoi blushed a bit and nodded, rubbing the back of his head, "I suppose.. I guess I can go and see a healer now?" He kind of didn't want to, as he was really interested in the adorable flit.

"Well.. she's not at maximum size, right? She still has a lot to grow." He slowly moved his finger to scratch at the flit before stopping and looking at the other, "Can.. I scratch her chin..?"
User avatar
Fel
Thread Destroyer
 
Posts: 8384
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 5:33 pm
Location: Seattle
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:33 pm

"You should go see a healer now. Like right now," Marius replied with a nod. How could anyone not be aware of how obvious a need that was? Some things simply weren't ever worth the risk.

"She still has a lot to grow, yes. And you can, briefly, and then go straight to the healers." This Candidate had Journeyman's knots for Faranth's sake! How could he really not consider that a heavy metal pan falling on his head might be a problem.
User avatar
ShelbCake
Junior Weyrleader
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:13 am
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:19 pm

Aoi blushed a bit and nodded, looking down, "R-right, sorry.." He quickly rushed to the infirmary, feeling a bit dizzy afterwards. Maybe he should have gone even sooner than he had now?

The healer who saw to him told him off as a result and made him get some rest. He sighed as he walked to his dorm, flopping on the bed.
cron
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux