Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

[Ignys] Early Mornings

Tyto
Holder

Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:00 pm

[Ignys] Early Mornings

Being part of the Healer craft had meant getting woken up early. And sometimes it meant getting up at all hours of the night to practice something or other. So despite having extra time to actually sleep in, Kylan found themselves fully awake well into the morning hour--before many of the other Candidates would need to stir for their breakfast and morning lessons. They themselves actually didn't find themselves complaining much. They'd adjust eventually, but it would be a challenge for the first fortnight or so--give or take.

For now, they bundled up in their well-worn, heavy jacket against the chilly autumn morning, slipped their feet into their boots, and wandered their way out of their small room and into the lower caverns toward the bowl. It was nice to sit outside in the mornings, when the grasses were covered in dew and dragons were pretending the sun wasn't going to come creeping over the fireheights and wake them up in a few hours. It was still dark and the glows were illuminating the caverns, but even after only a few days they had memorized the path back outside.

Beep had nestled against the back of their neck, using the fur of their jacket to shield himself from the cool wind, and was back to sleeping contentedly as his human ventured around the Weyr. It was nice, going for walks in the early morning. Few were awake, and those that were didn't tend to want to draw attention to themselves. Or were doing some sort of exercise routine before it got too warm or too crowded to do so. It was tempting to join in on a jog around the bowl, but they would have their share after breakfast. And after lunch. Not that they were out of shape--not in the least, considering they had been learning to heal dragonkin, which were (for the most part) far larger and far stronger than humans. At least they were generally more understanding, but most were still animals and only processed so much when injured.

Head in the clouds, Kylan didn't even notice they were walking directly in the path of someone else. They had about a half-second warning chirp from Beep, which caused them to let out their own fairly-undignified noise of surprise and stop short. Of course, this only resulted in them full-on toppling into the other person, unable to fully catch themselves. "Oh, shards--" they cursed before they could stop themselves, "I'm so sorry."
Ignys
Candidate

Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:03 pm

Genji found that he didn't mind the cool mornings too much. The only annoyance came from the fact that he could still be asleep, but wasn't. He was sure his brother was, at least, and most likely everyone else he knew well enough. That left him with his own thoughts, and Soba wrapped around his neck like a scarf.

He had splashed his face with cold lake water earlier, head tilted up and enjoying the breeze on his scars. This was so much preferable to itching sand and heat. Soon enough it would be much too cold for him at this time of day, he intended to enjoy it.

Soba was asleep, and he had his eyes closed or he would have noticed Kylan. The tiny chirp of their flit did nothing to warn him, and suddenly he had the other sprawled on top of him. Soba squawked in alarm, crawling up onto Genji's head and flaring his wings to make himself look bigger.

"No- its quite alright. Are you okay though?"
Tyto
Holder

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Face red with embarrassment at their mistake, they quickly shuffled back to a respectful distance from him. Beep was busy crawling back into his place on their shoulders, grumbling his displeasure at having been thrown off-kilter in the first place. "No, no, I-I'm alright." They bowed their head a little with their shame, taking a steadying breath before they could actually manage to look at him again.

Smoothing their hand over their face, they pushed their hair back out of their face. "I'm really sorry. Are you hurt? Did I hurt you?" They paused a moment, and then mumbled, "I don't have any excuse. I just wasn't watching where I was going." They glanced at the displaying bronze, giving him an apologetic look as well. They'd really mucked up today, already, hadn't they? "I-I'm Kylan, if you, ah. Need to say something to the Candidate Master about me nearly running you down."
Ignys
Candidate

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:32 pm

"Not at all. You just startled me." Genji offered them what he hoped was a disarming smile. All this worrying... he had no intention ot going to the candidatemaster with this, goodness! It was merely an accident, and one that had no consequences if neither of them were hurt.

He reached up to pluck Soba off his head, poking his snout when the flit gave him a displeased grumble. "Hush, you."

"Kylan, I don't have any intention of getting you in trouble for this. Neither of us were hurt." He smiled again. "Even if Soba would like to think he is protecting me against the most threatening thing on PERN." The bronze gave an offended squawk, trying to wriggle out of Genji's arms and back onto his head to prove a point.
Tyto
Holder

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:34 pm

They seemed to relax slightly, a bit of tension ebbing out of them, when Genji was kind enough to say he wouldn't go to the candidatemaster about this. It was. Relieving, at least. Kylan wasn't really sure how serious the Candidatemaster here was, and had only met a couple of the other Candidates. They'd all been very kind so far, and they were quite glad for that. Not that those in Telgar were rude by any stretch--but given how... chaotic things were. Basically everywhere anymore.

"Sorry." They murmured again. "Ah... Soba, is it?" They looked at the little firelizard, who seemed quite upset at the whole ordeal. "I'm sorry to you, too." Beep was watching the other firelizard quite intently, though, as if there might be some sort of threat from the little thing. Rubbing their shoulder, they finally making an attempt to change the subject. "I don't usually see other Candidates up this early... Just, er... clearing your head?" It was the, well. Most polite way they could think of to ask if someone they'd only really just met was okay. It was probably their Healer instincts kicking in; they may not have been specialized in mindhealing or in humans, but everyone learned the basics.
Ignys
Candidate

Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:58 pm

"Mm. Sometimes sleep evades me. I find myself awake before most on occasion." He looked at the sun just below the horizon, smiling. "Besides, it would be a waste not to enjoy the weather while it lasts. Soon it will be far too cold for me to come out here and do this."

The cold irritated his scars if he was subjected to it for too long, especially the ones that crisscrossed his lips. He would have to find his scarf soon, to try and keep them from getting raw and sore.
Tyto
Holder

Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:03 am

Letting their own smile slowly wax onto their face at Genji's expression, they followed his gaze to the rising sun. "True enough." Though they couldn't determine without asking whether the opinion had more to do with cold rather than their visible scarring, but it wasn't something which was any of their business. "I imagine this is a silly question, but have you tried any teas to help with sleep? I know of a few mixtures that might do the trick." They paused, and then added almost rather sheepishly, "Ones that, ah. Don't require fellis at all."
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux