Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

Long-Awaited Meetings [Arcane]

Kimikelo
Wingrider

Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:25 pm

Long-Awaited Meetings [Arcane]

The problem with being terrified to come out of your own weyr except for lessons and eating was that it became increasingly difficult to get meetings with someone, even when said someone was the one conducting your lessons. Toki kept intending to actually getting around to talking to Camilla like Xander suggested, but every time something came up, and it was incredibly difficult to line up schedules. But finally, at long last, the time had come for a meeting. Maybe she could get some things cleared up, get some ideas... get some sleep...

I will come with you. I can still fit through the halls, if only just, Aldoeith insisted. Then you can focus entirely upon the conversation and not about my safety.

"That.. I suppose..." Toki relented, rubbing lightly at her face. "You would be safe in our weyr too, but... whatever..." Menace chattered from his place on her ponytail, and the trio made a slow trek toward the Weyrlingmaster's Quarters. Aldoeith sat on her haunches as Toki lifted her hand, rapping her knuckles on the door. She stuffed her hands down into her pockets as she waited, holding her breath.

The young goldrider looked tired and drawn. There were bags under her eyes, though there was no lack of awareness in them. Her skin was pale from not going outside much, and covered in little bumps and bruises from her own excessive extracurricular self-training. Her head roamed constantly, keeping stock of anyone else who might slip past them.
Arcane
Thread-Touched

Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:27 am

Camilla always had time for her weyrlings. Especially ones that came to her looking so tired and worn. Oh that poor girl! Had Camilla been working the young ones too hard? This regimen had worked well enough for past classes but if it was leaving weyrlings looking like that...

They are future dragonriders of Pern. You do them no favors by babying them, Kamuith said, shifting threadscored wings that would never again take to the skies. Before his rider could start cooing and fussing, he boomed, State your business, girl. My rider will hear it now.

"Ignore him," Camilla waved away him away, "Toki, Aldoeith, come right on in. You're always welcome here. Do you want some klah? Tea? Maybe a cookie? You look like you could use a cookie."

Camilla hadn't used to keep snacks lying around all the time, but she was weyrlingmaster now and some occasions simply called for a bit of sugar.
Fort
Essa of Bronze Gectusith
Quinn of Bronze-White Louicyth
Wingleader S'bor of Bronze Yugoth
ACM Estelle of Brown Jaehaeryth
Faralyn of Brown Grooth
Ieyasu of Brown Ieyask
P'pin of Brown Palath
T'rin of Brown Celeth
G'er of Garnet Neozeoth
Lily of Garnet Eridieth
Relli of Garnet Rellivask and Blue Relsk
Augury of Blue Velveth
Chrysanthe of Blue Bidath
Weyrling D'vir of Blue Cainhurth
Gellera of Blue Virtrath
Miryem of Blue Riwenth
Thor of Blue Hinokath
Adora of Green Meilith
Elyron of Green Elyrosk
Kiriani of Green Tabesleuth
Wingsecond L'ir of Green Byth
S'atyl of Green Nineveth
Makoto of White Usakinth
Wingsecond Tyrion of White Voluntauth
High Reaches
Cynthia of Gold Eliask
Hela of Bronze Helsk and Brown Hesk
Schneizel of Bronze Damocleth
Azul of Brown Claarisath
Di'a of Brown Kasshuth
Dobby of Brown Kersuth
Wingleader Myalla of Brown Enarth
Th'ou of Brown Pavith
Wingsecond D'ark of Garnet Masreith
Eliza of Garnet Riaath
Squadsecond Tomas of Garnet Tomask and White Tsk
Weyrling Master Camilla of Blue Kamuith
Jae of Blue Zappath
Sayla of Blue Sacroth
Tamara of Blue Requeth
Yvaen of Blue Bolduth
Zhuli of Blue Zhusk and Blue Lisk
Ailee of Green Suventh
Kanon of Green Kibeth
Kip of Green Amizuth
Numann of Green Rannath
Sokka of Green Wintrath
Weyrling T'ir of Green Blysith
Riku of White Taissath
Norell
Semaca Weyr
Arena of Void Oscamith
Alayna of Gold Wyzeth
Al'bus of Bronze Matanuth
Noor of Bronze Nuunieth
Hermione of Brown Echoneth
Sage of Brown Wisketoth
Shuri of Brown Motath
Varda of Brown Magmeth
Ly'nk of Garnet Sakuyath
Maui of Garnet Mausk and Blue Mask
Uruk of Garnet Georsath
Anoni of Blue Cermurith
Artemis of Blue Phoebuth
Corleon of Blue Corleosk and White Corlesk
Candidatemaster Naxen of Blue Anitoth
Point Rigel of Blue Cygneth
Ya'ra of Blue Dymrith
Ariel of Green Kshatriyath
Rhea of Green Rheask
Captain Vella of Green Vellask and Magma Vesk
V'rell of Green Peridoth
Wyatt of Green Emilith
Laera of White Tarth
Kowal of White Kowalsk
R'tan of White Mazath
Steward Molly
Candidate Pasca
Kimikelo
Wingrider

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:53 am

Toki did, for the most part, ignore Kamuith other than a faint bow of her head in acknowledgment, entering when she was asked. Aldoeith wiggled through the door not far behind her, settling just on the inside where she wouldn't encroach too much upon the older dragon - though she did keep her head lifted and her gaze even.

"Ah... Klah, would actually be rather nice,"
Toki responded at last to the torrent of offered comfort, trying to suppress a little smile. She found she really appreciated kindness these days. She remained standing, wringing her hands until she realized she was doing so, and shifted to folding her arms over her chest instead. At least her facial expression kept her from looking combative.

"I've been hoping to talk to you regarding some things that have been happening and.. I'm not really sure how to deal with them, or what to do. It's been.. making me uncharacteristically paranoid and running me a little ragged, to say the least, and something needs to give,"
Toki said, jumping into the issue at hand as quickly as she could. She'd waited too long to do this.
Arcane
Thread-Touched

Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:39 pm

Camilla's heart all but broke for the poor weyrling. This weyr was supposed to be her home and the weyrling barracks should have been a safe place of learning and growth. If Toki didn't feel safe, it meant Camilla was failing her.

Camilla poured her a cup of klah and added some sugar. She wasn't sure how Toki took it, but she stood by her initial impression that the girl needed something sweet.

You deal with it by becoming strong enough that they fear to cross you. That is how you build a legacy. That is how you make yourself safe, Kamuith advised. Greatness had been stolen from him when he lost his wings, but Toki was a goldrider. Perhaps by guiding her, he could leave his own faint mark on history.

Camilla shook her head, "That isn't the answer. High Reaches has seen enough tyrants."

Camilla wasn't particularly political. She treasured all of her weyrlings, regardless of the color of their dragons. But she remembered the time of Golre. If the weyr regressed, the rest of her weyrlings would have reason to fear. And she didn't think that holding the weyr with an iron fist would make Toki- or even her regal gold- happy.

"Why don't you begin by telling me what's happened to make you feel unsafe and then we'll try and find some solutions. I can't promise a miracle but I can promise you this- I am on your side and will do everything in my power to make you feel welcome here."
Fort
Essa of Bronze Gectusith
Faralyn of Brown Grooth
Ieyasu of Brown Ieyask
P'pin of Brown Palath
T'rin of Brown Celeth
G'er of Garnet Neozeoth
Lily of Garnet Eridieth
Augury of Blue Velveth
Gellera of Blue Virtrath
Miryem of Blue Riwenth
Thor of Blue Hinokath
Adora of Green Meilith
Elyron of Green Elyrosk
S'atyl of Green Nineveth
Makoto of White Usakinth
High Reaches
Cynthia of Gold Eliask
Azul of Brown Claarisath
Di'a of Brown Kasshuth
Dobby of Brown Kersuth
Th'ou of Brown Pavith
Eliza of Garnet Riaath
Jae of Blue Zappath
Sayla of Blue Sacroth
Tamara of Blue Requeth
Yvaen of Blue Bolduth
Ailee of Green Suventh
Kanon of Green Kibeth
Kip of Green Amizuth
Numann of Green Rannath
Sokka of Green Wintrath
Riku of White Taissath
Norell
Semaca Weyr
Arena of Void Oscamith
Alayna of Gold Wyzeth
Noor of Bronze Nuunieth
Sage of Brown Wisketoth
Shuri of Brown Motath
Varda of Brown Magmeth
Ly'nk of Garnet Sakuyath
Uruk of Garnet Georsath
Anoni of Blue Cermurith
Artemis of Blue Phoebuth
Ya'ra of Blue Dymrith
Rhea of Green Rheask
V'rell of Green Peridoth
Wyatt of Green Emilith
Laera of White Tarth
Kowal of White Kowalsk
R'tan of White Mazath
Steward Molly
Candidate Pasca
Kimikelo
Wingrider

Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:59 pm

Aldoeith drew herself up slightly to respond to Kamuith, but for once Toki was there, shaking her head pre-emptively to the response.

"We do want to get strong, but not at the expense of others or their freedom... and while Aldoeith is still young, that would be the only way we could really do it. Therefore, it's not really an option at all," Toki said to the blue with a soft frown. She reached out to take the klah, exhaling softly, then deeply inhaling the smell of it as though the fumes alone might be enough to help ground her. They didn't, but it was worth a shot.

"There is of course the talk, and that's honestly to be expected, everyone has an opinion on what Aldoeith is and what she should be, what she can do and what she might do. If it were just words it wouldn't be so bad, but there are whispers of potential actions as well. People taking matters into their own hands. It prompted me to redouble my personal training and consider the notion of guards, at least while Aldoeith is still young and vulnerable..."

Toki gently rolled the cup in her hands, then took a sip out of it, then a longer drink. She paused for a few moments as she lowered it, staring into it like it had the words for her. "People somehow heard about it, and I started getting people offering themselves to guard duty. I don't really know a lot of the dragonriders here - I didn't socialize much with them while I was a Candidate and I didn't grow up in the weyr itself. It became immediately apparent, though, that if I chose someone - or multiple someones - it was going to have extreme implications. If I chose someone who was very traditionally minded, for example, it speaks strongly of intentions to reinstate the old structure. It also became immediately apparent that I don't know who among them I can trust.. as one offered to be our guard while simultaneously fondling her knife and speaking of her vested interest in seeing how we turned out.."

Toki trailed off, then closed her eyes. "Follow that up with our very recent attempts to just get some fresh air only to be approached by a grown dragon who wanted nothing more than to start some sort of fight.. I'm afraid to leave our weyr. I don't know what to do. I don't want to be the next Golre, but Aldoeith really wants to help - she sees something broken here and thinks she can help fix it. I want to pen a proposition to put before the council eventually, but by the first shards, she's a baby. I should have a turn or more to be thinking about this stuff..."

You are babbling, mine. Aldoeith said softly when Toki began to trail off again, before she could start off on another ramble.

"...Ah... apologies.. I guess I didn't really think through what I was going to say and ask about..." Toki murmured.
Arcane
Thread-Touched

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:44 am

Camilla shook her head instantly at Toki's suggestion. She had advised her brother. She was a Lord Holder's daughter. She knew how this game was played, "Appointing personal guards is a statement in and of itself. The weyr is already suspicious of you. If you appear to be acquiring a military force loyal primarily to you, you will seem to affirm their suspicions. Remember, you are not a Lord Holder and you are not a weyrwoman. You ride gold, but hold no inherent political power and anything that further differentiates you from other weyrlings will only serve to make you more of a target. If you aspire to wield greater influence, you will need the weyr's trust and good opinion, unless you plan to take it by force."

But it hurt her heart to think of this poor, sweet girl and her dragon who only wished to do good being afraid in their own home, "That said...I can request additional guards for the entire weyrling barracks and try to arrange for it to be manned by handlers and riders I trust. The tensions with Fort provide as good a reason as any. And if you wish for additional training sessions, I don't see why that couldn't be provided. I believe in encouraging all my students' interests and sparring is one of the key skills we try to impart. If you tell me what dragon started a fight, I can submit an official complaint to the Council. Grown dragons shouldn't be provoking weyrlings, regardless of their color."

She gave Toki a wink. Toki was one of Camilla's weyrlings and that meant Camilla was on her side. And if that meant twisting the truth a little? So be it. It was all true enough.

"What plan were you hoping to propose to the Council? Both I and my brother have served on it in the past. It can be a...unique political institution. I'm happy to share what insights I have on it."
Fort
Essa of Bronze Gectusith
Faralyn of Brown Grooth
Ieyasu of Brown Ieyask
P'pin of Brown Palath
T'rin of Brown Celeth
G'er of Garnet Neozeoth
Lily of Garnet Eridieth
Augury of Blue Velveth
Gellera of Blue Virtrath
Miryem of Blue Riwenth
Thor of Blue Hinokath
Adora of Green Meilith
Elyron of Green Elyrosk
S'atyl of Green Nineveth
Makoto of White Usakinth
High Reaches
Cynthia of Gold Eliask
Azul of Brown Claarisath
Di'a of Brown Kasshuth
Dobby of Brown Kersuth
Th'ou of Brown Pavith
Eliza of Garnet Riaath
Jae of Blue Zappath
Sayla of Blue Sacroth
Tamara of Blue Requeth
Yvaen of Blue Bolduth
Ailee of Green Suventh
Kanon of Green Kibeth
Kip of Green Amizuth
Numann of Green Rannath
Sokka of Green Wintrath
Riku of White Taissath
Norell
Semaca Weyr
Arena of Void Oscamith
Alayna of Gold Wyzeth
Noor of Bronze Nuunieth
Sage of Brown Wisketoth
Shuri of Brown Motath
Varda of Brown Magmeth
Ly'nk of Garnet Sakuyath
Uruk of Garnet Georsath
Anoni of Blue Cermurith
Artemis of Blue Phoebuth
Ya'ra of Blue Dymrith
Rhea of Green Rheask
V'rell of Green Peridoth
Wyatt of Green Emilith
Laera of White Tarth
Kowal of White Kowalsk
R'tan of White Mazath
Steward Molly
Candidate Pasca
Kimikelo
Wingrider

Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:13 pm

The relief that went over Toki was palpable. That she wasn't laughed at or dismissed, that someone was taking this as seriously as she was.. it was an immense weight off of her shoulders. A step in the right direction. She should have done this sooner.

"I don't know a lot of the grown dragons - they didn't really frequent the barracks, and he didn't introduce himself.. but he was one of those ones with two-toned hide. Blue and bronze, I think..." Toki said, frowning, then shaking her head. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly, but already seemed marginally more relaxed than she had been when she arrived.

"The sparring lessons I'd definitely appreciate. As for the proposal.." Toki hesitated.

Go on. Aldoeith prompted. She approved of this one so far.

"...Aldoeith believes that she should be in charge, but I've impressed upon her the history lessons and why that's not going to work here at face value. People aren't going to just let her lead once she's grown; they'll actively resist it, unless we try to work within what's already put together. Even then, it's not going to be the Weyrwoman-And-Weyrleader formation that a traditional weyr has," Toki explained, speaking quickly like she thought there might be backlash from this particular reveal.

Things worked the way they did for a reason. However, I am no tyrant; I would not force mine to walk in the steps of those who came so recently before her. That path is one best left untrod.

"...To that end, in order to try to let her help and offer some stability while still maintaining all High Reaches has worked for, I was planning on putting together a proposal to add an additional seat to the council for the Senior Gold. In theory, it wouldn't have any more influence than any other voting position.. the only difference being that it wouldn't be an elected position. I'm pretty sure they'll balk at that, but it's a start, and even if it doesn't work, I'm hoping it'll show from an early point that we're willing to at least try. That we might not tear everything down around us... and it will give me some practice at this.. political-ing before Aldoeith is grown.."
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux