Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

Chasing Children [open]

Where the heart of the Weyr should be.
Dragon
Candidate

Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:22 pm
  • Link

Chasing Children [open]

TW: PREGNANCY

The creche was not a prison, but for the most part the children - especially the small children - were supposed to stay inside it. Melosa wasn't the only one on duty, but Berry had alerted her when one of the toddlers was running out into the passageway and the pregnant woman had hurried after the three-turn-old child.

"Mulee! Mulee, baby girl, come back!" she exclaimed, catching up with the girl and taking the giggling little one's hand. "Where are you going? Don't you want to be back in the creche playing with your friends?"
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:46 am
  • Link

Daedra was in no particular hurry, as she made her way through the passages of the lower caverns. Smiling, she hummed as she made her way through the slim corridor. Perhaps she had somewhere to be, or something of priority to accomplish, but that all came to a halt when her eyes caught something ahead of her down the walkway. Or rather, 'someones'.

The petite handler paused her steps as she watched a relatively young looking child making their way with purpose. Daedra couldn't help as a smile pulled at her lips from watching in amusement. She had a not-so-secret soft spot for children, with said spot growing softer and softer the younger they were. It wasn't hard for the redhead to assume what the situation before her was, atleast vaguely.

“Oh my~ Making an escape attempt, are we?” Daedra spoke up in a good humored and cheerful tone, as Melosa came into earshot and successfully wrangled the smallest individual among them.
Dragon
Candidate

Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:00 am
  • Link

"Escape! Escape, escape, escape!" Mulee confirmed, liking the sound of the word and bouncing up and down as Melosa kept a hold of her hand. Berry Bandit popped out from between and swirled around above Melosa's head, trilling at the redhead who had joined them.

"Hello!" Melosa greeted. She hugged the hyper toddler to her leg, not at all threatened by the wherhandler of course, but protective of the little ones by nature. "I'm Melosa and these are Mulee and Berry Bandit. I don't think I've seen you down here before." It was easy to miss wherhandlers, though - they were mostly as nocturnal as their whers.

The other woman was cute, though. Very cute. Melosa smiled at her, putting that out of her head since she had other concerns at the moment ... like Mulee. The dark-eyed darling peered out at the wherhandler, grinning and giggling, but mostly clung to Melosa's skirts now that she'd been caught.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:52 pm
  • Link

Daedra just smiled again as she watched Mulee fidget about, in that happy, oblivious way younger children tended to do. She quickly pulled herself back to the present, turning her eyes over to Melosa upon hearing introductions.

“Hello! And, mine is Daedra - It's nice to meet you all,” Daedra replied, though really only one of the three would be able to hold proper conversation it seemed. That was all right! However, Daedra couldn't help but blink a bit in confusion at Melosa's response. The handler had to remind herself was a very large Weyr, and that prompted the chance of all kinds of people having simply just never met, despite circumstances.

“Oh-- actually, I do pass here from time to time,” the redhead correctly with a small giggle. She liked visiting the creche from time to time, and she probably did so more than was appreciated by her peers. “Just... inconsistently.” It seemed a silly excuse to mention, but it sounded a lot nicer than admitting she still preferred the daylight hours compared to other handlers.

As the conversation moved on, Daedra found her curiosity getting the better of her, as usual. "Do you need help for the moment?"
Dragon
Candidate

Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:11 pm
  • Link

"Ah, we must have just not run into each other before," Melosa said simply. This wasn't a small Weyr by any means - in fact, Weyrs in general were big enough that you wouldn't know everyone in one. There was nothing suspicious about not knowing someone. And frankly, Melosa liked most people who liked children.

"Do you have a little one in the creche?" Melosa asked. Her oldest was a mere three turns from being old enough to sign up for dragon candidacy if she wished! Melicia had the world opened before her, and she would play a good part in it. "They're all so sweet ..."
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:08 pm
  • Link

Daedra let her mind drift a moment as she watched Mulee fidget about, clinging to Melosa's leg. The redhead's focus visually jerked back to the other woman, when she realized she was being asked a question.

“--Me?” Daedra flushed sheepishly when she realized how that must have sounded – blurted out as it was. Raising her hands, the handler waved them a bit in hopes of easing the matter. “Sorry--- unfortunately, no,” the handler replied, with a not well hidden tone of disappointment. “I don't have any children of my own. Just---”

Daedra was cut off by the sound of loud clomping steps, heavy pads pressing down onto the stone floor and thick nails dragging with each step. A massive heap of brown suddenly loomed up behind her, before a blast of warm and particularly not great smelling air surged passed. Daedra wordlessly craned her head around to see.

“Oh, Drask, there you are! I was wondering what was taking you so long,” the petite woman merrily chirped with a smile, clearly unperturbed and pleased to see the wher. He was large, and not particularly friendly looking, as a bit of slimey drool dripped down from a tooth protruding from his frowny muzzle. Was he so grumpy looking because he was bumbling about during daylight hours, or perhaps just a natural looking grumpiness~

“I have met a number of the creche children before, and they are very sweet! Even the more naughty ones~” she giggled. “Do you have any children then, Melosa?” Daedra casually turned back and asked without batting an eye from the prior break in conversation.
Dragon
Candidate

Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:41 pm
  • Link

The brown wher that approached was big and made Mulee's eyes go wide. The big eyes were accompanied by a sharp giggle, though, and so Melosa didn't immediately retreat to the creche with the child.

It was a pity that Daedra didn't have any children, but she still got points for liking children. And if she'd been down in the creche enough to be familiar with the sweet little children - naughty and otherwise - then she obviously liked children.

Drask, however, was an unknown quantity ... although he had his handler here, so Melosa didn't imagine that he would be a problem.

When asked if she had children, Melosa's hand went automatically to her belly. There was another child growing in there ... "Four. Five, soon enough." She smiled at Daedra. "Two girls, two boys. I do so love children." This was why she had chosen to spend her life in the creche surrounded by little ones, even if recently she had begun thinking that she might be able to serve the Weyr in larger ways.

"My oldest is twelve," Melosa extrapolated, "and my youngest should be along in the fall." She didn't know if she'd have more after this one since she was starting to get up there when it came to ages to have children, but even if she only had five children she'd cherish them all. "Do you want to have children, or do you prefer to spoil other people's?"
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrfolk

Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:58 pm
  • Link

Raev was wandering the halls of the weyr, in a grumpier mood than usual, thanks to yet another night with a bout of insomnia. She had long ago learned that it was better for her to get up and move around instead of tossing and turning endlessly, so she found herself in an area she hadn't been before. Based on the delighted squealing of a young child, she was near the creche.

She rounded the corner and saw two women, one of which was holding a small child, the other with a large brown wher standing behind her. Raev vaguely recognized the woman with the wher from around the handlers quarters, but had never been introduced. Still, even if she was a handler, having a wher down where there were so many little ones prone to getting into things they shouldn't seemed like a bad idea to Raev. You never knew when a kid would poke or tug on something they shouldn't. She approached the group and asked with an edge in her voice, "is everything okay here?"
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:26 pm
  • Link

Drask stood idly for a time behind his handler, his gaze shifting over the other occupants set before them. The wher gave no real reaction, though when he caught notice of the small firelizard circling about and attending their own business, he did give the mildest snort from his nose. Still, he could already see his handler was socializing so Drask did as he usually did in such situations -

He plopped his large behind right on the floor to wait it out. Not caring of image or etiquette, the Brown let his massive mouth stretch out wide in a yawn, showing off his collection of teeth. Which his licked very sloppily before setting his expression back to his usual grump.

Daedra barely noticed as she merely went on talking. When Melosa gestured a hand over her middle, the redhead took note that there did seem to be a bump through her attire. Immediately her blue eyes lit up.

“Really? Oh, how wonderful---congratulations,” Daedra exclaimed in excitement, clasping her hands together. “Four already, as well? That's a big family!!” Despite the small little twist of longing in her gut, Daedra didn't let it spill out into her well-wishes. “I suppose you get to see them often working in the creche then; they must love that!”

Or, Daedra assumed anyway. Some children barely got to know their parents, not that it was anyone's fault on that front. Some things simply had to take priority in a Weyr like High Reaches. Though, the redhead didn't ponder too long on such things.

When the topic was set back to herself, Daedra opened her mouth to speak, but paused as movement caught her eye. Drask, who had unenthusiastically been sitting slightly behind his handler, suddenly perked up to attention as a new presence drew near. Immediately, the wher's head jerked in the direction of steps and a voice calling in their direction. While the old Brown generally went to alert in such instances, the firm tone made him let out the faintest rumble of a growl on instinct.

Daedra, blinking in confusion, turned to follow the wher's direction of focus.

“Um... yes?” Daedra replied hesitantly. “I think so--- We were just talking,” she explained.
Dragon
Candidate

Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:46 pm
  • Link

"Thank you," Melosa said cheerily as Daedra offered her congratulations. She adored children and was always happy when a Healer confirmed she was going to have another one! She wondered if this one would be a boy or a girl, and she played with names, and she hoped for another healthy child.

When Drask yawned and flashed all his teeth, Mulee giggled again. Melosa patted the toddler's head gently and ruffled her hair. The woman smiled down at the child, continuing to converse with Daedra.

"I think they love it. I know that I do." She flashed a broad smile at the redhead, content to go on talking like this as long as Mulee would let them -

- but they were interrupted by a short, stocky blonde woman approaching them. She was, by her knots, another wherhandler and she seemed grumpy. "That's right, we're just talking. Mulee here decided to go on a little adventure." The toddler seemed quite taken with Drask; maybe she would be a wherhandler herself one day.
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrfolk

Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:29 pm
  • Link

Raev gave the wher a careful glare when it rumbled at her approach. He seemed to be docile enough, laying on the ground of the hallway, but you never could tell with whers. She turned to address the redhead, who had spoken first. She was a handler, based on her knots, and should know better than to wander so close to kids with a wher in tow. "Just wanted to make sure everyone was alright. It's not often you see a wher so close to the creche. Seems like a bad combination to me."

She then turned to the other woman, a creche worker, based on her knots. And the giggling child clinging to her legs. She at least seemed to have protective instincts and was keeping a careful hand on the child. "Oh, an escape artist, eh?" She then looked down at the little one, a smirk on her face. "Better do your adventures with an adult around, kiddo. The weyr is a big place for a tiny thing like you."

The kid, Mulee, seemed fine with the wher there, giggling and staring at it instead of crying. Still, kids were unpredictable, and Raev wasn't about to leave until she was sure the kid was completely safe. "Perhaps I'll join you," she said, addressing the adults. "Better than wandering about aimlessly. What were you talking about?"
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:22 pm
  • Link

Daedra's head tilted in confusion from the newcomer's statement. Her eyes shifted to Drask, as if he would somehow posses confirmation to this bit of info.

Unfortunately, for the moment, his focus was still on Raev, and giving her a once over, just as she'd did for him. Drask was a wher that generally gave back what he was given, so a skeptical grouchy expression was what he was offering.

Realizing he'd be a no help for the moment, Daedra turned her attention back to reply. “It's never been a problem before,” Daedra offered, in hopes of placating any hostility building. “Drask has come with me plenty of times! He's very good with children,” the redhead assured. Drask offered no reply to aid in his assurance of character (not that he ever spoke anyway), and merely snorted a puff of air through his large nostrils.

Daedra, in the meantime, frowned slightly, as she was having trouble figuring what the problem was. There was an air of tension about, that much she was certain of, but as far as she knew, no one was doing anything out of place or against code of conduct. It couldn't have been Drask; she was sure~ Afterall, he was just sitting, and maybe he was a bit growly but certainly not being mean or a troublemaker(in this instance). Certainly not-- so she thought it best to continue on as prior. Things would clear up by themselves.

“Oh, we were talking about children,” Daedra chirped up, going back to her more common smiley demeanor. “-or rather, moreso her children,” she added. “I don't have any of my own, but Melosa has four—and a fifth soon! Isn't that exciting?”
Dragon
Candidate

Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:37 pm
  • Link

The wher was definitely a grumpy sort, wasn't he? Melosa was amused by that, though she didn't know why. He just seemed like a grumpy grandpa watching over Daedra and the rest of them. The newly arrived wherhandler also seemed grumpy, although far less like a parental figure. More like a scowly teacher ...

"I'm sure that Daedra can handle Drask, and that she wouldn't bring him down here if he shouldn't be around children," Melosa said in her best soothing voice. "Besides, Mulee seems to like him!"

The conversation turning back to children, her own or otherwise, was welcome. "Yes! I'm quite excited about having a new baby." She rubbed her belly with her free hand again, smiling at the other two women. Melosa was delighted by children, both her own and others' children, and she was looking forward to welcoming a new life into the world.
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrfolk

Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:54 pm
  • Link

Raev raised her eyebrow and lowered her face into a scowl upon learning that this wher, Drask, apparently, had been down to the creche multiple times. She was honestly surprised there hadn't been an accident yet. Hopefully it would stay that way. "I'm just saying that whers are violent creatures, they can lash out when provoked. Or even unprovoked." She rubbed the scars on her lower face, knowing all to well how a wher could maim. "Bringing one down to the creche with a bunch of young children who don't know better is asking for trouble."

She stared at Drask as she spoke, but the wher didn't bother speaking back to her. Raev continued to frown as the wher merely puffed air at her. Sure, the handler said he was fine, but Raev was going to keep an eye on him.

She turned to the taller woman, the creche worker. "Ah, congratulations," she said, her voice going from stern to the barest hint of pleasant. "Must be nice knowing you'll be able to see your kids daily, working in the creche. When's the baby due?"
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:01 pm
  • Link

A deep frown began to pull at Daedra's lips again, as Raev explained the possible dangers of a wher's presence at the creche. It wasn't an uneasy, little frown like prior, though. Daedra knew that maybe such a statement was true of some whers, the redhead would assure her life of it being wrong when spoken about Drask. Seeing the too similar knot of a wherhandler on Raev's shoulder and to hear her speak so poorly and over-inclusively of whers was rubbing Daedra in a way she didn't enjoy.

Drask was not a Brown that Daedra would describe as a 'friendly' wher, no. He could be grumpy, and lazy, and he didn't always mind himself nor care what others might say or think of him. He'd lived too long in the wild to ever care much in the way of manners or the like... but Daedra knew that he'd never harm anyone or anything just for the sake of aggression. Whether Raev intended it that way or not, the woman's words made the hair on the back of Daedra's neck bristle.

Still, she held herself from speaking too out of turn. As much as she wanted to passionately jump to her dearest friend's defense, and to the defense of his fellow whers, Daedra didn't exactly want to cause a commotion.

Not in front of a small child and a most likely rather tired creche worker, who was expecting no less! Daedra knew Drask wouldn't care either way, and simply swallowed down the more bitter bits of emotion plaguing her.

“That description doesn't describe every wher, you know,” Daedra replied, a bit strained as she kept herself level and as neutral as possible. Strangely, Drask paused in his glaring stare to look to his handler for a mere moment.

“I wouldn't let him come if I thought it would cause any problems for anyone,” Daedra evenly explained. “-nor do I make him. Drask could always stay in our weyr if he wanted. He doesn't mind coming to visit.”

While not a proper reply, Drask let out a sound from his throat following, as if he was agreeing to her comments. When the Brown returned to eye-ing Raev again, his lids narrowed ever so slightly over his yellow compounded eyes, almost looking akin to smugness.

Perhaps in lieu of his handler's given defense. Daedra, for the time being, stepped over to Drask's side and pat her hand upon his hulking foreleg. She resigned not to speak out in frustration from that point on, and perhaps felt if she stayed close to the wher's side everyone would be more assured. As if her presence would be the thing to keep Drask 'at bay', in the eyes of the others there.

Afterall, she'd just wanted to just come by for a relaxing and fun afternoon...
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux