Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

Weyrbowl Leisure [Dragon]

The massive weyrbowl. Herdbeasts graze, flights are held overhead. No more does dread hang over the open sky.
Dragon
Candidate

Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:26 pm
  • Link

She was glad to hear that Drask was dedicated to seeing Daedra through everything that came her way. That was how a bond was supposed to be, and Melosa was glad to hear that Daedra and Drask had that sort of relationship. "I'm sure you put up with a lot for him, too," Melosa said cheerily, eyes on Merrin as she spoke to the wherhandler.

Then Daedra took a moment to collect her thoughts. As she did so, Melosa watched her son picking flowers as she let the other woman figure out what she wanted to say. And when she did say it, Melosa's heart broke for her a little bit.

"It's hard when you can't be there for everything," Melosa agreed. "Even the most present parent misses things, though. It's impossible to catch every moment as much as I wish that it was something that could be done." Still, she didn't want Daedra to completely reject the idea of having the children she so obviously wanted. "Even if you have regrets ... isn't it better to be able to share what time you do have with your children?"

Melosa thought so. She'd missed moments with her children despite being their primary caretaker - moments lost to illness, to a busy schedule, to time simply slipping away. "You can't possibly catch every single moment. The idea is to cherish what time you do have."
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 pm
  • Link

“That's true,” Daedra bobbed her head in agreement. Even the most nurturing parent couldn't be with their children 100% of the time. In fact, being so hovering would probably be just as harmful. Children would eventually get hurt in their own right (though not in very serious ways, Daedra hoped) and make mistakes and have their disappointments. As much as she'd want to protect them from those things, those lessons were important and needed, too.

“I'd like to think, the effort and thought would be enough, in such situations. That's how I'd feel to it, if it were the reverse for me,” Daedra replied. Maybe she'd never make everything, but it wouldn't be because she didn't care enough to make the effort certainly.

Such sentiments were easily cracking away at the many uncertainties Daedra was harboring. However, one bit that Melosa offered, did draw her attention more than the rest.

'-Cherish what time you do have.'

Normally, that was something Daedra tried to live her life by at any given moment. You'd never know how long the winter would last, best to enjoy the beautiful blossoms of the spring and summer before they inevitably went. Regretting not having done something would certainly not turn back hours to let you repeat it. Though, her mind couldn't help but turn to her duties as a wherhandler. She and Drask would always be expected to offer aid when Thread inevitably took to raining down. They'd had a number of close calls already over the seasons, and they would have more. There would be no denying that.

Daedra really didn't like thinking about it, but... she knew she couldn't just ignorantly overlook it. All the possibilities and pitfalls that could turn to reality.

The redhead was absolutely -not- going to bring that train of thought up. Not currently, and especially not on such a wonderful warm afternoon. When the flowers were so colorful and the grass was soft and fresh.

“That's very true,” the smaller woman eventually amended, her tone quiet. “I suppose in these situations, it's best to weigh if there's more benefit compared to problems.” In moments like this, Daedra was a bit sad Drask was not present with her. She always had a tendency to over-think and over worry in a situation. The Brown was always much better at pulling her back and forcing her to focus on the 'now' and not always the 'maybes'.

And, maybe a shift to something happier would be better currently.

“So, Melosa,” the redhead chirped up abruptly. “-you said you always wanted children for yourself, but did you want as many as you have currently? Are you hoping for a certain number--Or, are they all happy surprises?”

Daedra personally always loved a good surprise~
Dragon
Candidate

Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:23 am
  • Link

It did come down to effort in Melosa's opinion, and there were plenty of dragonriders and wherhandlers who put in a lot of effort to be a part of their children's lives. Sure, that segment of the population was very busy, but that didn't mean that they couldn't shower love and attention onto their children if they made that a priority.

"Children know when you care about them and are making an effort to see them," Melosa observed. "Merrin, not too far," she added as the little one started pulling away from the pair after flowers. He immediately said, "Otay Mommy," and stopped wandering off. "As I was saying, they know if you're spending as much time as you can with them, or if they're not a priority. Even if you can't be there all the time, you can love your little ones."

Daedra seemed to be actually thinking about the pros and cons of having children, which was good. So many people had children without thinking about it at all.

Melosa was content, however, to change the subject slightly to her own children. Melosa had definitely always wanted children, but she'd never planned children. She'd never sat down with one of her lovers and said that they were going to have a child together. As such ... "They were happy surprises. I wanted children, but I didn't try for children. I've just been glad every time that I wound up having one." Actively trying for children had been unnecessary for Melosa because she'd had them fairly easily.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:16 pm
  • Link

“I hope so, though I guess I'm still worried that it might still not seem like enough for them. It's easy for us as adults to understand...” Than again, children were a lot smarter and perceptive than many people gave them credit for. Plus, while they didn't know all the details and finer points, almost everyone, even young children, knew of the dangers and need for dealing with Thread.

Daedra was letting herself drift too dangerously close to the sadder territories again... With a small shake of her head, she was happier to focus on other things. Like Melosa and her experiences. It was pleasant to get to hear from someone outside of the way of riders and handlers.

“So, five really big surprises then?” Daedra couldn't help but teasingly comment, breaking into a chuckle. Five was a large number of children, though Daedra had heard that some people had even more than that. Quite the big family-- but she had to suspect, in those cases, the time spent together was very, very limited.

“I know it's probably hard for you to say, but would you mind more 'surprises' after the fifth? Or, is there something else you have planned? Not that you have to, of course! Working in the creche with all the other children seems like a big and fulfilling job as is!”
Dragon
Candidate

Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:42 am
  • Link

"Children understand more than we think they do," Melosa said sagely. Even someone like her, who had a good handful of children and worked with more, could be surprised by what children caught and understood! There were those moments when a child would just look at you and say something and shock you with what they knew. In the creche, children knew (and frequently made excuses) when their parents didn't prioritize them, and they knew when the opposite was true. "Any child you have will know they are loved."

She didn't push the matter, though, letting Daedra direct the conversation to her 'surprises'. "Five wonderful surprises. I'm open to more, but frankly - I think I'm done at this point. The older you get, the harder it is to have babies and I might not be old yet but ... well. I'm old enough to have five!"

Plus she had her work in the creche, and Daedra was right - that was a big job, and an important one. For all that Melosa was considering leaving the creche off and on, she loved her work and wasn't sure that she could actually do so ... not even if she thought a 'bigger and better' position might better serve the Weyr. "I'm very fulfilled," she agreed. "The children are our future, after all. Without them, there is no reason to fight."
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:18 pm
  • Link

Simple as it was, Melosa's statement lit a small and warm little flame in her heart. Despite all the hypotheticals the two women had been tossing back and forth, Daedra knew that last statement would keep undeniably true. Regardless of how they saw it, Daedra knew that if she did have any herself, she would do her absolute best to ensure her children knew that she was always thinking of them. Doing her best to love and care for them in whatever ways she could.

And, perhaps that was the matter of it, the redhead thought. Perhaps when it came down to it, Daedra simply really wanted something to love in her own way. To be relied on and needed and being able to give back in a way that was impossible with strangers. As a handler, she had Drask of course, but unlike some other whers, Daedra knew that he certainly didn't -need- her in terms of survival. In fact, she was probably more reliant on him than the reverse; it had always been that way. (Not that she ever skimped on his care and comforts; absolutely never!)

Regardless of how her hypothetical children choose to think of her, Daedra could assuredly promise it wouldn't be that she didn't try her hardest. Doing that much was about all she was confidant with in her own abilities. And besides, it was proving nice for the redhead to experience things vicariously through the creche worker.

Daedra nodded her head in understanding, as Melosa explained her contentment with her current lot. Regardless if some had more, raising five children was still the impressive handful! Though Daedra would admit to having to swallow down a minor bitter realization she'd just come to. Melosa wasn't that far apart in age from herself (or Daedra assumed she didn't want to just ask the other so blatantly), so what was true for her also applied to the handler in a way. Daedra would have liked lots of little ones for herself at some point, but now.... perhaps she'd have to accept maybe she'd only have one. If she ever made a proper decision or perhaps got fortunate, that was.

It was strange though, as Daedra really didn't feel too different than when she'd first come to High Reaches. 'Wiser' and more experienced as a proper Weyr-trained handler sure... but she still enjoyed and did things as she had turns ago. Still, she wasn't fool enough to know that just because you felt very young didn't mean your body shared the sentiments.... She would admit to feeling more aches in the morning after rough training or Threadfall then when she was roughing it on the road.

“Having babies is rather difficult in general, isn't it?” Daedra asked, letting the question slip out as her thoughts bounced from one place to the next. “That's what I've heard,” she admitted, when she realized what she'd blurted out. “Thinking on it, I don't think I'm friends with anyone who has had children for themselves—oh, except you now, Melosa!”
Dragon
Candidate

Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:17 pm
  • Link

Melosa took a moment to think about how to answer Daedra's question. Having children wasn't easy ... but how hard it was varied. "My first baby was easy," she started. "I was twenty-four, and it wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done but it's gotten both easier and harder as time has gone on. Easier because things are less of a surprise, but harder because my body just doesn't bounce back like it did when I was twenty-four."

It was hard to really communicate what it was like to have children, physically and mentally. Melosa had always been one of those active women, for whom having children was uncomplicated. But the fifth time around was a combination of easier by having knowledge and harder because she was just more tired this time around.

"I was more energetic with my first baby than I am now," Melosa admitted. "And there are more risks of complications the older you get, according to the Healer. Oddly, it's also more common for older women to have twins!" That was an exciting bit of trivia. Not that it meant all older women would have twins or anything like that, but hey, maybe it was the body's way of playing catchup for those who waited until they were older to have children.

"The hardest part physically, of course, is actually having the baby. That's a lot of pain, and effort. It's exhausting. It's also worth it. It's all worth it." She loved each and every one of her children, including the one that was coming in the fall and she wouldn't trade them for the world. "And of course we're friends!" New friends for now, but they were going to be very good friends. Melosa could tell.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:50 pm
  • Link

As the redhead waited on the other's every word, her expression shifted a bit. Not to a frown or something displeasured, but returning to that thoughtful and almost inquisitive look. Once again letting the words settle in so she could think over them. “It still seems like a terribly overwhelming thing,” Daedra admitted. Despite not knowing any other mothers too personally, there always seemed to be stories and accounts that floated about from time to time.

Daedra regretted not asking her own mother on the subject long ago, when she'd been able to. At the time, it simply seemed like it would have never come up. Another minor past regret...

“Really? Twins?” Daedra's eyes widened to hear such a fact. “I never would have thought! I always heard twins and the like were a rather rare happening! I also have to imagine it's even harder than just having a single baby. Still, you wouldn't ever have to worry about your child making friends in that case. The two would be playmates already~”

That seemed like a nice thought, the handler imagined. Someone by your side from the very start; different than having a younger or older sibling. That didn't mean Daedra was going to start hoping for twins suddenly. From how it sounded, the brownhandler had to wonder if she could even handle the whole baby-having affair on her own.

“Do you think you'll have twins then, Melosa?” she couldn't help but ask, giggling. Daedra had to assume one could tell if they were having more than one baby. She knew it could be a surprise for dragon and wher eggs, but certainly not for people!----- Right?
Dragon
Candidate

Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:09 am
  • Link

"Overwhelming is an apt description," Melosa mused. Everything about having a baby and becoming a mother was overwhelming! It was wonderful, yes, but it also changed you. What else could it be besides overwhelming?

Talk of twins was fun, though. Melosa smiled at Daedra's excitement, which she found to be rather infectious. "It is a nice notion - but no, I don't think I'm going to have twins." It was still a rare thing, even for being more common among older women. "Neither I nor the Healer have seen any sign of that!"

Still, you could be surprised. It happened. But Melosa doubted that she was going to have that happen! No, she didn't have any relatives who were twins or anything else that made it likely that she would have twins herself.

Melosa was excited by her coming new addition whether it was one or two babies, though. She was very aware that this might be her last addition to the family, and she intended to treasure the experience. "I'm grateful for the fact that I'm having a baby at all. Not all women get to be mothers ..." But she hoped that Daedra would get to be!
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:25 am
  • Link

Daedra couldn't help the good-natured little laugh that escaped from, from Melosa's response. “Well, I suppose that news is a bit of a relief then~ If only for not running out of room in that great big weyr of yours, but I know you'd manage to make it work somehow.”

Part of Daedra had to wonder if their little 'joke' would turn out to be true or not; if Melosa would have twins. The logical part of her felt that it would be best to trust Melosa and the healer on it. They were clearly the most experienced. Yet, the redhead knew that in some accounts, speaking something out loud in such a sense, might make it a reality. If that was how such things worked, Daedra felt maybe it was best not to be so flippantly teasing on it - juuuust to be safe. Superstitions and all that~

Still, there were some things in the discussion that Daedra would be more than happy to bring to reality, especially if the trick was as simple as speaking it.

“I know it's still some ways off for you, Melosa, but I truly hope you have an easy time when your baby arrives. While I always felt the best things in life come from the effort put in, well... I think there can be an ease up in concern to having children. In your case anyway!”

That certainly would be a nice way of it, Daedra thought to herself. Simply thinking and wishing, and things to go smoothly and accordingly on both their situations.

“Oh, but should you ever need, feel free to ask me for anything,” the redhead was happy to offer. “If you need help in some regard or to help with your weyr--- provided I'm able to between my wherhandler duties~ Drask can help, too!”

Not that the wher would get much choice, lest he be subjected to his handler begging and making sad eyes at him for longer than he wished.
Dragon
Candidate

Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:47 am
  • Link

"It is getting tight," Melosa said good-naturedly. Oh, if she did have more children they could all take solace in the fact that Melicia was coming up on fifteen. Not quickly, no, but fast enough that by the time even the coming child was really taking up much space then she could easily be out and living as a candidate or apprentice.

She smiled as Daedra wished her an easy time with the new baby. "Thank you. It's always nice to have things go smoothly." Melosa would love to have things go easily when the baby arrived. An easy birth and an easy baby would both be welcome.

She kept a close eye on Merrin as he continued picking flowers, and she saw him judging the size of the big bunch of flowers in his hand.

"I'd love to have you and Drask help out as often as you want," Melosa said as she saw her son trying to decide if he had two proper bouquets worth of wildflowers yet. She might not have her children in the creche full time, but she still believed in communal living and helping each other out. "I know I'd be glad for the help, and I'm sure the children would love both you and Drask!"
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:08 am
  • Link

Daedra's face lit up happily as Melosa seemed welcoming to the offered assistance. The petite woman loved getting to help in any regard, fulfilling her ever onward goal to be useful to those around her. Sure, she had her blunders (often enough), and she was rather confidant she'd be more help than a hindrance here~ She couldn't lift very heavy things, nor was her coordination always flawless, but she thought herself to be good with children.

Atleast, they almost never turned her away when she offered to help them play games or read to them. Daedra never felt silly doing such things, and she was being helpful. Fulfillment on almost every front!

Speaking of, Daedra followed Melosa's line of view, spying Merrin with his handfuls of flowers. He had quite a lot, now, much more than what he'd had upon her arrival.

“Look at all those flowers, Merrin,” Daedra cheered out to him. “That's really a lot!”
Dragon
Candidate

Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:36 am
  • Link

Taking Daedra's comment as approval, Merrin came back over to the two women and split up the bunch of riotous colors fairly evenly. "Flowers for you," he said, offering the first bunch to Daedra. Then he hurried over to his mother and held up the remaining flowers. "Flowers for Mama."

"They're so pretty, Merrin!" Melosa gushed at her youngest, taking the bouquet and smelling deeply after giving it a brief side-eye to make sure there were no bugs appreciating the flowers. "Thank you!"

The three-turn-old beamed at the praise, hugging his mother's legs. He looked up at Daedra and her flowers, clearly proud of himself.

"You and Drask are welcome by any time," Melosa said warmly. "Why, I'm sure you'll be Auntie Daedra in no time!" She'd be different from the parent-figures that Melosa's lovers sometimes were, and Melosa didn't mind if her children got a little spoiling from the brownhandler.
EW-NA
Wingsecond

Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:29 pm
  • Link

“Oh, thank you,” Daedra carefully took the bundle of flowers. Merrin had done quite a bit of work to make a nice handful. The redhead was extra mindful of the fluffy yellow flowers stems, not wanting them to get crushed and have them droop before they naturally would.

“I know just what I'll do with them when I go back to my weyr,” Daedra announced with decision. “I have a pretty glass jar they can sit in, and I'll loop them in a pretty ribbon I have~” The handler doubted Merrin would have too much care of what she actually did. However, it would be nice to let him know she appreciated and wanted to properly display the boy's efforts. Whether blossomed weeds or a collection of more rare flowers, they'd get the same treatment in this case.

Plus, Daedra was quite sure Drask would unfortunately get his way with them once they started withering in a few days. He was never above plucking down little sugary blossoms into that endless gullet of his-- but she would not let that info slip to Merrin. He was a very waste-not, want-not wher.

As the petite woman carefully cradled the bundle in her hand, she was taken aback in surprise. 'Auntie'? Now there was something Daedra had never even considered. It would have been near impossible in a 'blood relative' sense, as she had no siblings to speak of. Of course, that didn't mean you couldn't stand in as an aunt or uncle in other regards though. It was simply another thing that had always seemed out of view, but... the redhead found herself tickled by the idea.

“An Auntie? I suppose I could be! Though I never have been one before, but I'm sure I could manage! It sounds like I would get to do all the fun activities,” Daedra laughed again. All the fun and probably very little of the lesser-desired parental duties. Like punishments and things like that.
Dragon
Candidate

Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:31 am
  • Link

Merrin beamed as Daedra accepted the wildflowers with a great deal of pomp and excitement. It was perfect, and Melosa held her own bouquet as she watched her three-turn-old look at the redhead with big-eyed adoration.

Yes, she'd make a great unofficial Auntie. Melosa wanted the other woman in her children's lives as well as in hers, and she'd be glad to have her around. She was glad to have her as a friend and would love to have her as a part of the family.

"You'll help me put mine in water when we get home, right Merrin?" Melsoa asked unnecessarily. The little boy nodded and let go of his mother's skirts to go play in the field a little bit.

"You'll make a great Auntie." There was no reason for anyone in the Weyr to go without family connections. Where they didn't have them already, they could make them by being part of a friend's family ... or just becoming close with their friends and having them as family. There was always someone willing to take you in and make you a part of things.
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux