Questions? Interested in OOC chat? Click here to come join us on Discord!

[CANDIDATES] Bored

Arcane
Thread Conqueror

Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:31 pm
  • Link

[CANDIDATES] Bored

It's not even winter yet and already the lake is already half frozen over. I dare you to jump in anyway. There's nothing better to do right now anyway and it'd be funny.
Fort
Essa of Bronze Gectusith
Hunter of Bronze Yndesk
Quinn of Bronze-White Louicyth
Wingleader S'bor of Bronze Yugoth
Allag of Brown Babyloth
Daphne of Brown Ogatath
ACM Estelle of Brown Jaehaeryth
Faralyn of Brown Grooth
Gymlin of Brown Glacendath
Ieyasu of Brown Ieyask
P'pin of Brown Palath
T'rin of Brown Celeth
Cole of Garnet Colsk and Blue Colodeosk
G'er of Garnet Neozeoth
Lily of Garnet Eridieth
N'ell of Garnet Pamith
Relli of Garnet Rellivask and Blue Relsk
Augury of Blue Velveth
Chrysanthe of Blue Bidath
Gellera of Blue Virtrath
Korra of Blue Raavath
Kyoshi of Blue Rugrunth
Miryem of Blue Riwenth
Thor of Blue Hinokath
Sam'in of Blue Salineath
Adora of Green Meilith
Elyron of Green Elyrosk
Kiriani of Green Tabesleuth
Wingsecond L'ir of Green Byth
Quintar of Green Task
S'atyl of Green Nineveth
Makoto of White Usakinth
M'ieln of White Hroth
Rhaenys of White Cosmiath
Wingleader Tyrion of White Voluntauth
Actaeon
Mithras
High Reaches
Cynthia of Gold Eliask
Ce'na of Bronze Noath
Hela of Bronze Helsk and Brown Hesk
Azul of Brown Claarisath
Di'a of Brown Kasshuth
Dobby of Brown Kersuth
I'lir of Brown Belliorath
Ingrid of Brown Delinarth
Wingleader Myalla of Brown Enarth
Th'ou of Brown Pavith
Arya of Garnet Xrhuth
Wingsecond D'ark of Garnet Masreith
Duke of Garnet Legiath
Drusilla of Garnet Drusk
Squadsecond Tomas of Garnet Tomask and White Tsk
Weyrling Master Camilla of Blue Kamuith
Edda of Blue Katakurth
Jace of Blue Gallath
Jae of Blue Zappath
Sayla of Blue Sacroth
Sha'm of Blue Taarisoth
Stroud of Blue Strouth
Tamara of Blue Requeth
Ya'ra of Blue Dymrith
Yvaen of Blue Bolduth
Zhuli of Blue Zhusk and Blue Lisk
Kanon of Green Kibeth
Kip of Green Amizuth
Numann of Green Rannath
Raine of Green Spriggth
Wilred of Green Lresk and Blue Wilrsk
Sokka of Green Wintrath
T'ir of Green Blysith
Riku of White Taissath
Aragon
Pyeta
Semaca Weyr
Arena of Void Oscamith
Alayna of Gold Wyzeth
Al'bus of Bronze Matanuth
Noor of Bronze Nuunieth
Schneizel of Bronze Damocleth
Athan of Brown Liraeth
Hermione of Brown Echoneth
K'zon of Brown Rurosuth
Sage of Brown Wisketoth
Shuri of Brown Motath
Varda of Brown Magmeth
Ei of Garnet Eisk
Karlach of Garnet Ussk
Ly'nk of Garnet Sakuyath
Maui of Garnet Mausk and Blue Mask
Uruk of Garnet Georsath
Artemis of Blue Phoebuth
Corleon of Blue Corleosk and White Corlesk
D'vir of Blue Cainhurth
Candidatemaster Naxen of Blue Anitoth
N'aya of Blue Ilouth
Point Rigel of Blue Cygneth
Ariel of Green Kshatriyath
Eleanor of Green Elsk
Eli'us of Green Sallith
Mi'wa of Green Ephiith
Natsuno of Green Minamith
L'ani of Green Haillenarth
Rhea of Green Rheask
Captain Vella of Green Vellask and Magma Vesk
V'rell of Green Peridoth
Wyatt of Green Emilith
Laera of White Tarth
Kowal of White Kowalsk
Pasca of White Judgmeth
R'tan of White Mazath
Steward Molly
Francesca
Tarva
nineofswords
Peacekeeper

Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:53 pm
  • Link

Candidate Nayru

"Jump into a half-frozen lake?" Nayru asked in horror, almost visibly recoiling. "That sounds supremely ill-advised. A fantastic way to get frostbite to me. I believe there's a learning song warning about the dangers of winter that I'd be more than happy to sing. In the meantime, however, why don't we all stay here by the fires where it's warm, and perhaps enjoy a few mugs of warm klah. It's truly the perfect day for it." Jump in the half-frozen lake. Really. Who would be so abysmally foolish?

Candidate Miguel

"Did someone say 'dare'?" Miguel asked excitedly, already pulling his shirt off. "Oh, you're all absolutely on." He started hopping on one foot as he started pulling his boots off. "Who's coming with? There's no point jumping in the freezing lake if there's no one around to see it, after all!" He'd gotten one shoe off and was starting to work on the other as well while he was hopping towards the door to the candidate quarters. "Well, c'mon! Whoever's coming better get on it fast! I'm not planning on waiting long!"
Last edited by nineofswords on Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fort
L'fy of Brown Dioth
B'layk of Blue Radarth
Wingsecond G'las of Green Quenith | Dazzle (flit)
Y'olai of White Tsukasath
Jackrum of Brown Krusk
Columbo of Blue Lumsk
Attolia of Cinder Attolisk
Ronica of White Onisk and Brown Osk
Assistant Headwoman Houlihan | Soldier (flit)
Candidate Bronson | Apolline (flit)
Candidate Heiro | Thetis (flit)
High Reaches
Dani of Bronze Bladeth | Ceecee (flit)
Barca of Brown Brynth
Healer's Wingleader Y'ang of Brown Kullilth | Bokhee (flit)
Elross of Blue Hisahith
Weyrling Ry'n of Green Yuelith
Dukat of Bronze Dusk
Maritza of Garnet Arisk
Ennis of Green Ennisk and Green Szensk
Weyrfolk Anabella
Candidate Miguel
Candidate Nayru
Wher Candidate Haron
Semaca
M'ten of Garnet Noggoth
Weyrleader B'ram of Blue Sininulth | Sunrise (flit)
Bre'q of Blue Ostoriath
D'ax of Blue Firarith | Kahless (flit)
F'lin of Green Eraelth | Rusty (flit)
Tychon of Green Ezanath | Thalassa Narcissa (bird)
Weyrling S'ra of White Moggeth
Dunsmith of Brown Dunsk | Filly (flit)
Rosethorn of Garnet Thornsk and Brown Rosesk
Candidate Hamuntep
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrling

Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:26 am
  • Link

Candidate Sheridan - Miguel

Sheridan side-eyed Miguel as he began stripping. "Seriously? You're going to hop in the lake? In this weather?" She sipped her tea and pulled her furs closer. It was downright frigid already, which was to be expected for a High Reaches autumn. She had experienced plenty of the Weyr's long winters to know that jumping in the lake at this time of year was a great way to wind up in the Infirmary with a nasty cold.

Then again, if an idiot was going to put on a show for free, might as well get some entertainment out of it. She stood up from her seat. "I'll watch you, but there's no way on Pern I'm getting in with you."
nineofswords
Peacekeeper

Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:04 am
  • Link

Miguel - Sheridan

"Uh, of course I'm going to jump in the lake?" Miguel said like that should be the most obvious thing in the world. "The fact that it's cold is what makes it fun! It's like a...a challenge! A test of strength and bravery! And we're supposed to be dragonriders sometime, right? So this is a great way to show what I'm made of!"

He continued tugging off his last shoe. "Hey, no need to come in with me! I just need a witness so no one can say I didn't do it!" He flung his shoe behind him and darted out into the cold beyond the candidate's barracks. "Hurry up! C'mon if you're coming, then!"
Fort
L'fy of Brown Dioth
B'layk of Blue Radarth
Jackrum of Brown Krusk
Columbo of Blue Lumsk
High Reaches
Barca of Brown Brynth
Elross of Blue Hisahith
Dukat of Bronze Dusk
Maritza of Garnet Arisk
Weyrfolk Anabella
Candidate Miguel
Candidate Nayru
Wher Candidate Haron
Semaca
M'ten of Garnet Noggoth
Bre'q of Blue Ostoriath
Candidate Hamuntep
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrling

Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:45 am
  • Link

Sheridan - Miguel

Sheridan gave Miguel a long, judgemental stare. Sure, dragonriders were supposed to be courageous, but it wasn't bravery or daring that made people jump into a half frozen lake for no reason other than a dare. Dragonriders were also supposed to be smart enough to analyze risk before diving into danger head first. Miguel had seemed to have confused pulling a stupid stunt as some form of proving himself.

"Oh, I'm definitely coming," she pulled her furs tighter and held her warm mug of tea in her hands. While Miguel was sprinting into the cold, she followed at a brisk, but controlled pace. If it had been cold in the barracks, it was downright frigid in the weyrbowl.

"You're not from around here, are you?" Sheridan called after Miguel as he ran to the lake. She refused to believe that anyone who had grown up in the mountains surrounding High Reaches would be so willing to risk the hypothermia, but she had been proven wrong before.
nineofswords
Peacekeeper

Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:56 pm
  • Link

Miguel had been given judgemental stares before. By a lot of people. This had never been something to deter him in the slightest, and in response he gave Sheridan a huge grin and a big thumbs up. This was going to go great! "Forsk yeah! Let's go, then!" Finally! Someone to witness his daring act!

So the ground was a lot colder than he'd been expecting. He let out little exhales of discomfort - "hoo! Ah! Hee!" - as he ran across the ground, trying to get to the lake as quickly as possible to save his poor feet.

He turned around, runnning backwards when Sheridan asked a question of him. "Not really, but is anyone really 'from' anywhere when you think about it?" Where he'd been born wasn't where he'd ended up, and he'd lived in the north and the south. He'd known heat and cold, famine and a full belly, sleepless nights of stress and days where he'd lazed the whole morning away. One place was pretty much like any other at the end of the day as far as he was concerned. Any of them could be like any other place if the conditions were right. Sure, it was cold outside in High Reaches, but with a roaring fire or out on the hatching sands, it could be as hot as the sands of Ista at noon. It was all a matter of perspective.

He was nearing the edge of the lake now. "Okay! I'm doing it! You better be watching, cause I'm not doing this twice!" He ran right up to the edge of the lake and without giving himself a moment's pause, he dove under the surface.

The sudden shock of cold drove the hair from his lungs and he immediately surfaced, gasping. But that was worse, and he immediately started shivering as the cold air blasted at his wet skin. His teeth were chattering involuntarily. Shivering, he managed to crawl back out of the water, wet and dripping and miserable over to Sheridan. He tried to give her his best smile. "C-c-can I h-havvve th-th-that b-b-b-b-blanket?" He asked, pointed, moving from foot to foot to keep them from having to be in contact with the frigid ground a moment more than they needed to be.
Fort
L'fy of Brown Dioth
B'layk of Blue Radarth
Jackrum of Brown Krusk
Columbo of Blue Lumsk
High Reaches
Barca of Brown Brynth
Elross of Blue Hisahith
Dukat of Bronze Dusk
Maritza of Garnet Arisk
Weyrfolk Anabella
Candidate Miguel
Candidate Nayru
Wher Candidate Haron
Semaca
M'ten of Garnet Noggoth
Bre'q of Blue Ostoriath
Candidate Hamuntep
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrling

Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:50 pm
  • Link

Sheridan covered her bemused smile as Miguel hopped-ran across the frosted ground in his bare feet. He didn't need to strip down before leaving the weyr, but the fact that he had told Sheridan that she was in for quite a show.

"Well," she said as she walked at an even pace behind the jogging Miguel. "I was born and raised here. Lived my whole life in the weyr. I'd say that definitely means I'm from here." She didn't know Miguel's story or where he had grown up, but everything he was doing currently was screaming "not from High Reaches."

"Trust me, I wouldn't miss this for the world!" She called to Miguel as he insisted she watch closely. She casually sipped at her tea, thankful she had brought the warm beverage as he dove under the surface. Almost instantly, he was clambering out of the lake, skin flush with cold.

He asked for her blanket, and Sheridan considered for a moment if she should hand it over. She let him flail for just a few moments before responding. "Yeah, you can have it," as she shed the warm fabric and held it out to her fellow candidate. "You definitely jumped in that lake, and I don't think anyone will question you. One look at you and the rest of the candidates will know exactly how manly you are." The last bit she said with a heavy dose of sarcasm.
nineofswords
Peacekeeper

Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:50 pm
  • Link

"If you've never left, that just means you've never had a chance to see what the rest of the world has to offer!" Miguel called back to Sheridan. "Don't get me wrong, this place is awesome, but how can you know it's your favorite if you haven't tried anywhere else?" That was more how Miguel liked to think of places. Made more sense in his head.

Shivering in the cold, Miguel was worried Sheridan wouldn't let him have the blanket. He'd have to run for the barracks, but it would be a nicer run with the blanket."Oh thank Faranth," he gasped as she handed over the blanket. "You're my favorite person in the world right now. I'll happily take your chores for a week for this, longer if you want." He gathered the blanket around himself, rubbing it over his dripping body and made his way back to the candidate barracks as quickly as his shivering legs would carry him.

He glanced at Sheridan in surprise when she said everyone would know how manly he was. "What? Why would I care about that?" he asked. "What's the point of being young if you don't do the stupid shards people suggest? It makes for gr-great stories! Adventure! Laughs! Tears! It keeps life f-from being to b-b-boring!"
Fort
L'fy of Brown Dioth
B'layk of Blue Radarth
Jackrum of Brown Krusk
Columbo of Blue Lumsk
High Reaches
Barca of Brown Brynth
Elross of Blue Hisahith
Dukat of Bronze Dusk
Maritza of Garnet Arisk
Weyrfolk Anabella
Candidate Miguel
Candidate Nayru
Wher Candidate Haron
Semaca
M'ten of Garnet Noggoth
Bre'q of Blue Ostoriath
Candidate Hamuntep
FirebrandPhlox
Weyrling

Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:50 am
  • Link

Miguel certainly had an...interesting view of the world. Sure, there was plenty of Pern that she hadn't seen, but Sheridan knew she was content here at High Reaches. This was her home, bitter cold winters and all.

"No need to," Sheridan replied to Miguel's offer to cover her chores. Part of being a leader was looking out for others without expecting anything in return. Besides, if she couldn't handle her own chores, how would she ever manage to make it as a rider with even more important duties? Chores were about instilling responsibility, and she needed to prove that she was responsible and ready for a dragon of her own.

"Frostbite also makes for good stories, but you don't see me hopping in the lake," she retorted, wrapping her arms around her chest to keep warm. "Doing stupid stunts like that is why older people look down on young people like us. They think we're impulsive idiots, and not all of us are." Miguel sure was, but Sheridan was more mature than that.
nineofswords
Peacekeeper

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:23 pm
  • Link

Miguel was shivering and hustling as fast as he could back to the common room, but he still stopped briefly when Sheridan said he didn't have to do her chores. "Y-y-you sure?" he asked. "Feels wrong not to pay you back s-somehow..." He started trotting back to the barracks. "Oh! I know! I'll write a song about your generosity! I'll f-f-follow you around and play it for you all th-th-the time!" It was honestly the least he could do!

"Oh, relax-x," Miguel shivered at Sheridan. "I'm g-going right b-b-back inside. Can't get frostbite that q-quick. E-e-even I know that! And who c-c-cares what old people think? L-l-l-like none of them haven't done st-stupid sh-sh-shards in their y-youth!"

He all but dove back through the barracks door, sitting down in front of the fire and rubbing his arms across his skin. "Oh Faranth, that feels so much better," he gasped. "I think that was colder than between!"
Fort
L'fy of Brown Dioth
B'layk of Blue Radarth
Jackrum of Brown Krusk
Columbo of Blue Lumsk
High Reaches
Barca of Brown Brynth
Elross of Blue Hisahith
Dukat of Bronze Dusk
Maritza of Garnet Arisk
Weyrfolk Anabella
Candidate Miguel
Candidate Nayru
Wher Candidate Haron
Semaca
M'ten of Garnet Noggoth
Bre'q of Blue Ostoriath
Candidate Hamuntep
phpBB Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux